Electric Car thread

It’s been a while since I had to insure and non EV car, but I don’t remember being shocked at the difference, so I believe it was minimal if any increase.

Certainly make up any difference within a week or two of not buying gas.

I just got done adding the Bolt to our insurance and can confirm. It's not a big difference at all, and I'm even declaring that I'll be driving a lot more miles annually. The difference is much less than what we'd pay for a tank of gas for our SUV.

Still in a 2007 Prius hybrid (non-plug-in) here... But my sister just got the Kia EV6. I had a chance to drive it and it was just fantastic. Of course she got it loaded out with everything, so who knows how many bells and whistles I didn't discover. Loved the front-view parking camera (to see the curb / wheel-stop you're approaching, head-on) and the "aerial" view of your parked car with neighboring parked cars when you're in a row of cars.) The acceleration on it (in "Sport" mode) was just insane!
After only having 4-cylinder, smaller cars from the start (a '76 Celica (non-GT of course) was first, then hatchback Civic, then sedan Civic, etc.) I finally got a 6-cylinder Accord coupe, "wanting more power" for a change... Well, a few years into that Accord, there was no question it had transformed me into a far more aggressive / impatient driver on the road, having "so much" power on tap (vs. those Civics!) The Prius then, was my atonement for all that gas burning and aggression behind the wheel... a "cold-turkey" break from those Accord habits (and saving a boatload on gas costs was great too!) But the Kia's acceleration puts everything I remember, firmly in the shade!
As much as I thoroughly enjoyed driving it, I think I'd have to resist my sister's top-power model purely as an act of self-preservation! Yes, it was fun, the visceral thrill of being pressed into the seat-back by the acceleration was remarkable... but I suspect I'd inevitably give in to those same temptations/behaviors and become an even more aggressive driver than before... (There are already too many aggressive, impatient, distracted drivers on the main roads without me deliberately adding to the numbers!)
But wow, it was fun to drive!

I have my first hiccup today. Nothing to do with the car but the charging infrastructure. I went to a paid garage this morning that has 5 Level II charging stations. Three of the stations were occupied, one was covered with an out of order sign. The remaining one didn't have a sign but as soon as I tried to activate it, it showed a low voltage error. I'll have to check in at lunch to see if there's a working one available. Hopefully the cars that were charging abide by the 4 hour limit. I guess I'll have to deal with this until we get our Level II charger hooked up in our home garage.

Still in a 2007 Prius hybrid (non-plug-in) here... But my sister just got the Kia EV6. I had a chance to drive it and it was just fantastic. Of course she got it loaded out with everything, so who knows how many bells and whistles I didn't discover. Loved the front-view parking camera (to see the curb / wheel-stop you're approaching, head-on) and the "aerial" view of your parked car with neighboring parked cars when you're in a row of cars.) The acceleration on it (in "Sport" mode) was just insane!
After only having 4-cylinder, smaller cars from the start (a '76 Celica (non-GT of course) was first, then hatchback Civic, then sedan Civic, etc.) I finally got a 6-cylinder Accord coupe, "wanting more power" for a change... Well, a few years into that Accord, there was no question it had transformed me into a far more aggressive / impatient driver on the road, having "so much" power on tap (vs. those Civics!) The Prius then, was my atonement for all that gas burning and aggression behind the wheel... a "cold-turkey" break from those Accord habits (and saving a boatload on gas costs was great too!) But the Kia's acceleration puts everything I remember, firmly in the shade!
As much as I thoroughly enjoyed driving it, I think I'd have to resist my sister's top-power model purely as an act of self-preservation! Yes, it was fun, the visceral thrill of being pressed into the seat-back by the acceleration was remarkable... but I suspect I'd inevitably give in to those same temptations/behaviors and become an even more aggressive driver than before... (There are already too many aggressive, impatient, distracted drivers on the main roads without me deliberately adding to the numbers!)
But wow, it was fun to drive!

The EV6 is such a cool car. I'd rather have it in Ioniq 5 form though. The Ioniq 5's looks just bring a lot of 80s kid nostalgia back to me.

Kia-EV6-vs-Ioniq5-7.jpg

The EV6 is such a cool car. I'd rather have it in Ioniq 5 form though. The Ioniq 5's looks just bring a lot of 80s kid nostalgia back to me.

Kia-EV6-vs-Ioniq5-7.jpg
My 2010 regular hybrid Prius is going to have to die before I'll be in the market for a $60,000 vehicle, no matter how amazing it is 🤪!

Congrats on the Bolt EUV, that's an awesome car. Did you get the 2023 model with the much cheaper price?

We have a Tesla Y and a Leaf... as cool as the Y is... the Leaf is such a better ride and driver experience with physical controls and a driver display.

If I had to buy again, I would probably pick the Ioniq 5 over the Y... roomier interior (although less cargo space).

We got the Y for the Supercharger network but since we don't drive the EVs very far, we are actually good with Level 1 120v charging overnight. Hasn't been an issue where we needed L2 charging and if so, we just go to a nearby Supercharger or a charging station.

For trucks, I actually prefer the Lightning over the R1T. I've seen both and I guess because the Lightning is more like a traditional full-size truck I lean that way but the R1T is also very nice. Thinking about putting a reservation on an R1S but over $70k is more than I want to spend.

Thanks! This is a 2022. When the 2023s pricing was announced, Chevy also dropped the prices of the 2022s to reflect the same. My sister has the Model Y, it’s a fantastic car. I got a Tesla Tap so I can charge at her house when we are over there. 😁

@WattsUpDude

Oh wow... didn't know they lowered the 22s to match the 23s... is that a brand-wise policy or just your dealership?

GM made the decision to do the price match. Even customers that bought their 2022 Bolt prior to the 2023 pricing announcement are getting a retroactive check to match the 2023 pricing. Good move and great PR on their part.

GM made the decision to do the price match. Even customers that bought their 2022 Bolt prior to the 2023 pricing announcement are getting a retroactive check to match the 2023 pricing. Good move and great PR on their part.
I looked at the Bolt-good looking machine, and I believe in the same price range as the Kona I purchased. The deciding factor for me was the 7500 federal tax credit.

I looked at the Bolt-good looking machine, and I believe in the same price range as the Kona I purchased. The deciding factor for me was the 7500 federal tax credit.

I really like the Kona (shopping for one for my bro). But we needed the extra rear row space of the EUV for the kids since they're still in bulky car seats. I'm excited to see what else comes out in the near future.

I really like the Kona (shopping for one for my bro). But we needed the extra rear row space of the EUV for the kids since they're still in bulky car seats. I'm excited to see what else comes out in the near future.
Yeah, Kona no good for a family unless everyone is under 5feet tall. Perfect for single or empty nesters.

We almost got the Kona instead of the Leaf+ but it doesn't have a 360 camera.

I think the 22/23 Bolts are still cheaper than Niro/Kona/Leaf+ without the $7500 Fed credit.

I want the burnt orange one! My first car was a '74 burnt orange Opel wagon. Dan Neil, the car guy at the Wall Street Journal, has nothing but wonderful to say about the Bolt EUV in this weekend's WSJ, if you can find it. (I'd put the link in, but it's probably pay walled.)

The only thing that concerns me with the 23 Leaf is the reliance on CHAdeMO plug. The rest of the makers have seemed to move to CCS. And I believe Electrify America has said they will discontinue providing both plugs on new charging stations.

Also, with GM taking the big push with Pilot/JH truck stops charging, I’m guessing they will only supply CCS charging.

Feels like Betamax vs VHS or 8-track vs Cassette (depending on how old you are) all over again. I don’t want to get stuck with a lot of 8 Tracks that I can’t play.

So I’m considering the Bolt over a new Leaf, though it pains me to say.

The only thing that concerns me with the 23 Leaf is the reliance on CHAdeMO plug. The rest of the makers have seemed to move to CCS. And I believe Electrify America has said they will discontinue providing both plugs on new charging stations.

Also, with GM taking the big push with Pilot/JH truck stops charging, I’m guessing they will only supply CCS charging.

Feels like Betamax vs VHS or 8-track vs Cassette (depending on how old you are) all over again. I don’t want to get stuck with a lot of 8 Tracks that I can’t play.

So I’m considering the Bolt over a new Leaf, though it pains me to say.

Chademo is being phased out. The upcoming Nissan Ariya will be using J1772. I don’t know that a J1772 to Chademo adapter exists. I bought a J1772 to Tesla adapter for our Bolt for when we are over at my sister’s place since they have a Model Y.

Back