Electric Car thread

...C-19 Vaccines ... Homosexuality ...ALIENS / UFO's ... WW3...
All that I just mentioned in the last paragraph are true things .
I think you left out that Apollo 11 was filmed in a movie studio, that the earth is flat, and that the Sandy Hook massacre was actually a hoax designed so the government could confiscate our firearms.

If batteries are re-usable . Why is it less then 5% are actually recycled ? What's happening that we aren't bothering ? Is it true they can be reused ? Seems odd if the figures of 90 % can be recycled . It's not being done . Especially when they are so costly environmentally to produce in the first place . As well as economically . The ground where it's mined from can't be reused I think a minimum of 50 years . I believe I have read 100 years . Plus it completely destroys all animal life .

Elon is simply capitalizing : I don't think he believes the planet is in danger . It's not . Quit believing what you read online . How is an EV more efficient. And what pollutions are there in the World besides China . WHo refuses to use Filters . As I said I have no issue with EV as an addition . But as a sole source ? Impossible . Gas and Oil brought us into the Modern Era . Wind Solar and EV is a step back .
You need to keep up . Enron was a lie . I suppose you don't believe millions have died from C-19 Vaccines /

The argument is does the planet need saving ? Are we experiencing more Earthquakes and worse more frequent storms due to climate ? Where's the evidence ? In the 1980's in the USA . We had massive snow storms . Record snow falls . And what did they tell us ? That we'd be in an ICE AGE by 2000. Never even came close . Then it changed to massive heat . Now it's climate change . Climate changes everyday .

Would you agree that most people today are deceived ? If you answer no you are deceived :) Would you agree Earthquakes and Storm size and frequency are increasing ? Do you agree that man today is self righteous lovers of Self ? That Homosexuality is exploding ? DO you agree we are fast approaching a Digital system with a World govt ? Do you agree that AI can already easily monitor the whole of the planet ? Worse then we have ever seen ? Would you agree there's no current strong world leader with answers for peace and security ? Would you agree Covid was the first virus that ever effected the whole planet all at once ? Would you agree that ALIENS / UFO's with real ships who appear to travel in an out of our dimension. Is a true thing ? Would you agree that among all nations . Israel is the most hated ? Even though they are the most environmentally safe nation by current standards . Would you agree that mankind is not only capable of destroying everything . But that we are already in WW3? Would you agree that over 70% of all the Fish , Birds and mammal wildlife has died off since 1976?
All that I just mentioned in the last paragraph are true things . They are also all things that have gotten way more intense in the last 10 years . Most of us just didn't know about it pre Covid .
Have known about UFOs for a long time( spoiler nonbelievers- you have to look up) and the coastal fisheries are about depleted, topsoil and fresh water are starting to run low, if Mr.Greer is correct things like copper will drop in price as well as the rare metals used in car exhaust, its funny to watch the cars from the "meth" centers burbling and running poorly down the road( the feedback from the catcons are gone and the ECM doesnt know how to calibrate the engine).

EVs are not just about ecology... they are quieter, cooler, roomier and less maintenence.

Don't think I'll ever go back to ICE for the inconvenience alone.
I have an EV and dont plan on traveling with it outside of my village (Coachella Valley in So Cal) with it in the near future. Range anxiety is not worth it at my age. I have 2 ICE cars that I can use if I need to get over to the coast or go watch Spring Training in Arizona. Too many times the listed charging sites are either out of order or just straight not working-or there is an ICE car parked in the stall. Give me a Shell or a Chevron or hell even a Circle K for petrol...

Tesla if you need to do.more than local driving... or rent an ICE.

But infrastructure is improving and 18 minute 80% recharges are pretty good.
I hear ya BN, but I bot a Hyundai Kona mainly for the warranty and the 7500 tax credit. Luckily I have a couple of back up ICE cars. The Kona is great for groceries and golf. I disagree with you on the infrastructure part. Unless you have a Tesla, you are taking a huge gamble on a long distance trip. (unless you like driving from EV charging station to station with the AC and radio turned off sweating bullets driving 50 when everyone else is going 80)

Many battery packs are designed in sections or strings of cells. The strings can be charged in parallel at a lower voltage and then put in series to get the higher voltage required.

An overly simplified illustration:

View attachment 156323
As this thread was going for the weeds, I'll reply to this illustration. I sort of know the theory but haven't the vocabulary to discuss electricity . But in practical terms it means needing a south facing roof the size of three mid-century houses . Or a miracle location.

I hear ya BN, but I bot a Hyundai Kona mainly for the warranty and the 7500 tax credit. Luckily I have a couple of back up ICE cars. The Kona is great for groceries and golf. I disagree with you on the infrastructure part. Unless you have a Tesla, you are taking a huge gamble on a long distance trip. (unless you like driving from EV charging station to station with the AC and radio turned off sweating bullets driving 50 when everyone else is going 80)
Drive across Texas, pulling a trailer Vs Drive 2 miles to shopping and 10 miles to work. A hammer and a screwdriver are different tools, too.

As this thread was going for the weeds, I'll reply to this illustration. I sort of know the theory but haven't the vocabulary to discuss electricity . But in practical terms it means needing a south facing roof the size of three mid-century houses . Or a miracle location.
I look on solar as a good supplement,I would get a turnkey system from "Iron Edison" and play "wattmiser", you can already buy a small solar dedicated freezer for a reasonable amount, if I didnt have too leave the grid I would stay on the "Umbilicus". People slay Me with their "all or nothing" attitude.
Some Folks need to take a deep breath and consider what the biggest single user of electricity is, wait for it, heating water and space heating, solar( non electric except for circulating pumps) is very goo at heating water. Solar like Fusion( solar itself was once used as a misdirection by big oil, reasd the history) is a somewhat doable misdirection, If Dr.Greer is correct new(old) technolgy will make even thorium reactors obselete, deal with it Nuclear is the closest thing we have to so called"green energy".

As someone living in a miracle location, my panels face north :)

I drive around 200 km / Wk , so presumably recharging an average 70 kwh ev each week would be more than enough? We average 3.5 kw/h per day from each kw of panels in southern Australia , so doesn't that just mean a 3kw system ?

A 3 kw solar array takes up. about the same roof space as a single carport.

As someone living in a miracle location, my panels face north :)

I drive around 200 km / Wk , so presumably recharging an average 70 kwh ev each week would be more than enough? We average 3.5 kw/h per day from each kw of panels in southern Australia , so doesn't that just mean a 3kw system ?

A 3 kw solar array takes up. about the same roof space as a single carport.
Actually a 3 kw array is quite small, only 6 or 8 new panels, as you say it will fit on a carport or even the roof of a camper, but that's based on 110v to 220v . I don't know the difference between DC volts and AC volts either yet, or what's needed to get to 800v.

I look on solar as a good supplement,I would get a turnkey system from "Iron Edison" and play "wattmiser", you can already buy a small solar dedicated freezer for a reasonable amount, if I didnt have too leave the grid I would stay on the "Umbilicus". People slay Me with their "all or nothing" attitude.
Some Folks need to take a deep breath and consider what the biggest single user of electricity is, wait for it, heating water and space heating, solar( non electric except for circulating pumps) is very goo at heating water. Solar like Fusion( solar itself was once used as a misdirection by big oil, reasd the history) is a somewhat doable misdirection, If Dr.Greer is correct new(old) technolgy will make even thorium reactors obselete, deal with it Nuclear is the closest thing we have to so called"green energy".
It's all good as extra . But they want it as only . Look at Germany or Europe in general . Last winter people burned wood to survive . excessive heat isn't as deadly as excessive cold . Especially on older people

I think you left out that Apollo 11 was filmed in a movie studio, that the earth is flat, and that the Sandy Hook massacre was actually a hoax designed so the government could confiscate our firearms.
I learned as a kid that most people will always follow the crowd and the status quo . Time is running out . And running out really fast . People are in denial because the Sun still shines . Until the day it doesn't

I disagree with you on the infrastructure part.
It is improving.

Walmart and Target are planning on putting fast chargers in their parking lots.

All these deals with Tesla to adopt the NACS port means that all these non-Teslas will have access to their SuperCharging network.

Range is pushing up from 300+ mi to 400+ mi and battery charging tech is getting faster.

For local commuting, a 100 mi cheap EV should work for many people, 300-400mi EVs can basically replace ICE cars (like my Ioniq 5 that I don't even charge at home).

In 5 years, the EV landscape will be much better.

It is improving.

Walmart and Target are planning on putting fast chargers in their parking lots.

All these deals with Tesla to adopt the NACS port means that all these non-Teslas will have access to their SuperCharging network.

Range is pushing up from 300+ mi to 400+ mi and battery charging tech is getting faster.

For local commuting, a 100 mi cheap EV should work for many people, 300-400mi EVs can basically replace ICE cars (like my Ioniq 5 that I don't even charge at home).

In 5 years, the EV landscape will be much better.
Look for "charger rage" in the future.

Sorry I didn't post this earlier, but I had a 10 hour drive.

I-95 Southbound in Maine just before crossing in to NH.

Last year, same time and weekend I'm pretty sure this was packed with cars waiting. I assume everyone has said "screw this e-car thing."

Attachments

• 20230624_105402.jpg
    20230624_105402.jpg
    439.7 KB · Views: 97
^ Either that or they have more options
As for me I see EVs all over the place…I can’t hear them coming up behind me when I’m riding my ebike. I shake my fist as they pass…but they refuse to go away…just like reality

I'm on the opposite end of the scale. The only thing my electric vehicles require on the same level as an ICE are tires. Brakes, not so because of regenerative braking (my Leaf's brakes at 77k miles were "like new" per the mechanic that did my state inspection. He was astonished. Also, no "belts", no AC issues, no regular trips to the gas station because my car was fueled at home in the garage from an electric plug, and the battery is warranted for 8-10 years, and good for over 300,000 miles. Can't say that with any gas car.

But...to each their own. Frankly, I'm happy to leave behind the stench of fossil fuel and no longer be held a daily prisoner of the gas stations and gasoline industry with my cars.
Not what consumer reports found. EVs significantly less reliable than ICE and more expensive to maintain per this article. Plug in hybrids even worse, regular hybrids better.

you get 600 high amperage volts running through you you are probably going to boil, linemen have to be real careful with the voltages they work around ,where the electricity goes to ground or exits it leaves holes in the body.
It's high voltage that kills, not amperage. You can touch the terminals on a 12 volt, high amperage car battery without harm.

Philosophicaly i tend to agree with @Roamers, that people who don't use the roads shouldn't pay for them.
But then you have schools that childless people still pay for. It all begins to sound like Johnny Winter's song Tax Man ... "if you take a walk, I'll tax your feet " ...
Good point. Since my house is not on fire, why should I pay for the fire department?

Back