Electric Car thread

For sure, If you take advantage of the EV instant torque to drive like a brute, it will definitely affect your tires life :)

For sure, If you take advantage of the EV instant torque to drive like a brute, it will definitely affect your tires life :)
True. But as we all know, power corrupts — and torque might, too.

Question is, does the average new EV owner suddenly find themselves with gobs of torque — down low, where it's most fun in daily driving — and start using more torque than they used to? Perhaps unconsciously?

Don't recall seeing a lot of EVs with the zoomies, so guessing it's subtle at most.

Know very little about EVs, but I do know that electric motors excel in low-end torque. Does this affect tire life?

How about driving habits?
I think Hyundai stocks the Kona EV with rock hard tires to try and increase range economy at the expense of comfort. I personally use mine mainly for a grocery getter. I am done with any more road trips. Range anxiety sucks. I did see a new Ionic 6 in the valet at lunch today and it piqued my dumb guy car itch!

I saw a humorous meme the other day....

V-8.jpg

V8!

Compare a long haul truck using clean diesel the operator of this truck can fill up in 15 minutes and can travel another 1k miles again, An electric long haul truck takes 8 hours to fully charge to travel 3-4 hundred miles.
It's not your ideal setup for delivery of precious cargo.

iologic processWas comparing to natural gas. riddle me this,why does it make
riddle me this why does it make sense to strip hydrogen from a combustible gas to burn or react in a fuel cell? burn the freaking methane the carbon is going to get back in the atmosphere anyway? my cousin in law( pretty wealthy airplane and car nut )with the help of a couple of mad scientists was trying to figure out how to burn hydrogen effectively in a gas turbine,while ignoring the problem of h2 production and storage, meanwhile back at the ranch( same campus) an intrepid research team was exploring how to produce h2 using biologic process,cousin never mentioned checking on that research,finally they dropped that project and went on to trying to produce compact power units for the military think that was abandoned too. (CIL has a job that many would envy-spending a generous stipend- don't getme wrong he is a fine person)

I'm glad to see some actual reality coming out.
After years of complete denial, the UK government has admitted we will need to multiply our grid by a factor of 4 by 2050 to achieve complete electric switchover.
This will entail non stop work by a larger workforce than the NHS and could run easily into several trillion pounds.
I presume they are simply giving us a heads up it will never happen, there simply isn't enough capacity to provide the first world with the materials to do it.

There is a huge cutting starting from the north sea coast to London with multi lane pylon transmission lines to feed the capital from the new north sea wind farm...anyone who has flown over the channel can see, its massive.

Already everyone along the way is up in arms, it goes through some of England's most beautiful countryside and the rest of the country will need covering to provide power lines to make a renewable grid work.

All local power transformers will need upgrading as well, and there's barely enough of them as it is.

Big job on, personally I think the entire thing will be kicked into the long grass for another 100 years.

Some legacy automakers like Ford and GM are cutting back on EV production/projects while others like Hyundai/Kia and Volvo are increasing efforts.

I do think we need to see more budget EVs to drive adoption but at the same time, the market for lower priced EVs may not have the available charging resources to support it so it's a catch 22.

All future vehicles for us will probably just be EVs though... especially now that bigger format vehicles like the EV9 are coming out.

Some legacy automakers like Ford and GM are cutting back on EV production/projects while others like Hyundai/Kia and Volvo are increasing efforts.

I do think we need to see more budget EVs to drive adoption but at the same time, the market for lower priced EVs may not have the available charging resources to support it so it's a catch 22.

All future vehicles for us will probably just be EVs though... especially now that bigger format vehicles like the EV9 are coming out.
When I bought my Hyundai EV in 2021 I got the full 7500 tax credit on my 21 taxes. Now the only way you can get a deal from Hyundai is to lease and they then supposedly pass along the 7500 in a price reduction. No interest in that here. I now how car guys can work the numbers...

There are some gorgeous looking EVs out there, I feel they save up all the great designs for rainy days.

But soooo pricey
The Polestar is £45-70 grand, its just an average four door with completely ridiculous acceleration.

When I bought my Hyundai EV in 2021 I got the full 7500 tax credit on my 21 taxes. Now the only way you can get a deal from Hyundai is to lease and they then supposedly pass along the 7500 in a price reduction. No interest in that here. I now how car guys can work the numbers...
Actually low Ioniq 5 leases are how I got into one... and I prefer leasing because I'm fickle and know I'll want something else within 2 years. I'm already thinking about my next EV. :)

I’m quite intrigued by the EX30. Starting at $35k for a nice quality vehicle and available spicy dual motor performance. It’s a bit too tall to be a hot hatch IMO, but I hope this starts the movement.

1705813956425.jpeg

Last edited:
It was brought home to me last week, the wife slid on ice and crashed over a kerb, slicing through the sump.
I've decided to fix it myself, only 25 quid for a new one and insurance excess is 450.

If that had been an EV the battery would be toast and the rest is history.

I was going to get the Mustang Mach E but last week I was really LOW on petrol, I was able to go the 7 miles to a garage, I would have been in trouble with electric so petrol again, VW this year

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 5
I'm glad to see some actual reality coming out.
After years of complete denial, the UK government has admitted we will need to multiply our grid by a factor of 4 by 2050 to achieve complete electric switchover.
This will entail non stop work by a larger workforce than the NHS and could run easily into several trillion pounds.
I presume they are simply giving us a heads up it will never happen, there simply isn't enough capacity to provide the first world with the materials to do it.

There is a huge cutting starting from the north sea coast to London with multi lane pylon transmission lines to feed the capital from the new north sea wind farm...anyone who has flown over the channel can see, its massive.

Already everyone along the way is up in arms, it goes through some of England's most beautiful countryside and the rest of the country will need covering to provide power lines to make a renewable grid work.

All local power transformers will need upgrading as well, and there's barely enough of them as it is.

Big job on, personally I think the entire thing will be kicked into the long grass for another 100 years.
doubtful,you did point out one serious problem with the grid distribution, small scale nukes and fusion will probably fill the gap.though i am still a bit skeptical about fusion, the fission technology has been there a long time did you know big oil ran an anti nuke campaign decades ago promoting of all things solar energy?(they knew it wasnt feasible, but the nuclear plants were a clear and present danger to their market share-all the nuclear waste ever produced would fit on an american football field several feet thick while the waste from coal plant(toxic)) would create vast ridges-just ask the folks on the Dan river about that one. Barbara Kingsolver wrote a novel about coal ash vs the poor people. If we had to burn petroleum for everything you would see more gas pumps shut down then i did yesterday.the only the only vehicles i saw struggling during the cold snap were diesel powered( poor planning perhaps?)

I wish automakers would provide more hybrid and plug-in hybrid options to fill the gap until the EV infrastructure is built up. I have two hybrid vehicles (19 Acura MDX and 18 RLX). They are not plug-in hybrids, has the same mpgs for city/combined/highway travel, both have 30-70 more hp/tq than the gas models, improved handling/performance with awd tq vectoring/regen braking, and $1500 MSRP compared to exact same gas model.

I live in the southwest USA and it can be 2-8 hours at 75-80 mph to major cities with a decent (and working) charging network. Factor in below freezing weather, wind, extreme heat, and elevation change from sea level to +11,000 foot mountain pass that limits EV range. It takes me around 11 hours with one 5-10 min gas stop to drive 700 miles with my hybrids. Depending on the EV, it could take me 13-16 hours in an electric car depending on weather and charging network availability.

Back