Electric Car thread

Rode in a hybrid lexus SUV.
Very good acceleration and range anxiety non existent.
It's was a friend of the family and he just HAD to floor it to the speed limit everywhere he went.

Despite what you might read posted by fans on this thread, compared to ICE - EVs are less reliable, entail more expensive maintenance/repair and with high depreciation (35% in 1st year) which prompted Hertz to dump a large portion of their EV fleet due to high associated costs and lack of demand. Add high insurance rates due to outright costs as well as among the highest accident/incident rates despite advanced accident avoidance technologies. Not to mention inadequate performance for average needs and in conditions common to much of the US. Add lack of charging infrastructure and grid capability. Heavy EVs also pose a safety risk to other drivers as "a 1,000-pound difference between vehicles results in a 47% increase in the likelihood that a crash turns deadly". And what about increased road infrastructure damage due to heavy EVs.
I fail to see how driving a 7,000# Rivian pseudo-truck (SUV) accomplishes anything to "save the planet" for one's grandchildren.

A 7000# Rivian assumed curb weight is 800# heavier than my fullsize sierra. I can pull a 3800# trailer 300+ miles on a full tank. Is there any EV truck that can come close to that? Keep in mind, that my truck powers the trailer as I'm pulling it, which has zero effect on range.

talk about range anxiety, i was surprised by the number of gas pumps out of operation yesterday,should got some pictures i guess to show the people who laugh at an ev charging.

A 7000# Rivian assumed curb weight is 800# heavier than my fullsize sierra. I can pull a 3800# trailer 300+ miles on a full tank. Is there any EV truck that can come close to that? Keep in mind, that my truck powers the trailer as I'm pulling it, which has zero effect on range.
some of the rivians have pulled twice the weight or more half the distance if that helps.

Despite what you might read posted by fans on this thread, compared to ICE - EVs are less reliable, entail more expensive maintenance/repair and with high depreciation (35% in 1st year) which prompted Hertz to dump a large portion of their EV fleet due to high associated costs and lack of demand. Add high insurance rates due to outright costs as well as among the highest accident/incident rates despite advanced accident avoidance technologies. Not to mention inadequate performance for average needs and in conditions common to much of the US. Add lack of charging infrastructure and grid capability. Heavy EVs also pose a safety risk to other drivers as "a 1,000-pound difference between vehicles results in a 47% increase in the likelihood that a crash turns deadly". And what about increased road infrastructure damage due to heavy EVs.
I fail to see how driving a 7,000# Rivian pseudo-truck (SUV) accomplishes anything to "save the planet" for one's grandchildren.

you go by consumer reports? the only thing i can back you up on is the depreciation. no reason something that is simpler should be less reliable unless its purposely designed that way( like the1.0 ecoboost or the 3.0 duramax) forgot gms 1.4 4 banger

Last edited:
some of the rivians have pulled twice the weight or more half the distance if that helps.
Nope, not really, I'm taking a 8 hour trip, I don't want to stop every 150 miles to charge and wait for how ever long it takes so I can travel another 150 miles. Keep in mind what I'm pulling, if I have food on board, it all has to be kept cold 41F or below. The longer it takes to get there, the more chance there is of a temperature problem. In my case, the trailer would have to be powered by the tow vehicle, which is going to take away from the range of any EV towning. It's not a lot of power required, under between 50W and 100W to keep the compressor and cooling fans running with occasional pulls of 4000W or more as the compressor starts. With my design, my Sierra is able to keep all that running as I'm buffering power through 3 marine batteries. There's a 12V40A circuit that runs the trailer and supplies constant power to keep the batteries up so the inverter can run the compressor.

no you wouldnt want to take that lead sled off road with stock tires😎

you did read the article right? the hybrids are more reliable than the straight gassers according to that article

Make any EV a "hybrid" by carrying one of these:

100554.jpg

An interesting story I just heard this weekend:

My ex co worker friend bought a Ford F150 Lightning Pro last year. He runs a regular 400 mile delivery route, a couple of times per week that takes him through some rural areas. He gets paid by the mile and figured the EV would save money in the long run. The vehicle range is only 240 miles, so he must recharge on the road. He has all the charging stations along his route plotted in the vehicle nav system, and usually charges at one while he eats lunch.

He started carrying the above generator a few months ago after an incident that almost left him stranded. One of his regular charging stations had been vandalized and the next two were "out of service". He nearly didn't make it to the next one. The idea is, a few hours charging with the generator will get him to the next charging station should another incident like this occur.

He was over for dinner on Saturday and told me he's thinking of going back to an ICE vehicle due to the uncertainty of where his next charge will come from. He said it was alarming about the number of these charging stations that either had a line of vehicles waiting, or were broken for one reason or another. He really likes the Lightning, and is genuinely eco minded but is well aware the EV movement has a long way to go.

I suppose it depends on location, type of use and circumstance that determines how practical an EV is for any particular individual. I fear it will be several more years before they are universally accepted.

If you subscribe to the Wall Street Journal, here's an article that discusses the "out of Service" issue.

Last edited:
I was out in midstate PA and miscalculated my mileage and didn't fuel up when I should have, I made my stop and hit the GPS to find the closest source of fuel. The van said I had 11 miles left, the station was 9 miles away and was the only station within 20 miles. The station was in a very small town and was part of the local market/sub shop. I've never seen any place to recharge an EV in that area, even in the larger towns. EV's might be nice in larger cities, but when you get out into rural areas, you're not going to find a place to charge. Another time I needed diesel, found a Sheetz on the GPS, they always have diesel. Not that one. Had to drive another 14 miles, which I called ahead to see if they were open at 10:30pm. I think we're still a long way away from having charging stations in the rural areas. There's places in PA that are lucky to have electricity to their homes, one town I was in the entire town was blacked out in the middle of the day for no apparent reason.

no you wouldnt want to take that lead sled off road with stock tires😎

you did read the article right? the hybrids are more reliable than the straight gassers according to that article
You read my post, right? It was in reference to EVs, not hybrids - which are primarily ICE with very limited electric only capability. That is except for plug in hybrids which were the worst of all in the report.
And yes, I put more confidence in consumer reports than in your (or other) random anecdotes.

Last edited:
EVs are not practical right now for any time of distance trip. I own one. For instance, in March, I'm going from Palm Springs to Scottsdale for Spring Training. 278 miles plus or minus a few miles. I have zero confidence I could charge up anywhere between here and Phoenix along the 10 Fwy. I know, the Charge Point and other apps show chargers, but I dont buy it. Whenever I needed a charger, it was either out of service or I could not find it. My next car will take good ole petrol...

EVs are not practical right now for any time of distance trip. I own one. For instance, in March, I'm going from Palm Springs to Scottsdale for Spring Training. 278 miles plus or minus a few miles. I have zero confidence I could charge up anywhere between here and Phoenix along the 10 Fwy. I know, the Charge Point and other apps show chargers, but I dont buy it. Whenever I needed a charger, it was either out of service or I could not find it. My next car will take good ole petrol...
I've done that stretch in an e-tron and Model 3. It wasn't bad, of course the Tesla charging experience was vastly better. Ideally you'd hit Quartzite only, but there is Buckeye and Indio as well.

I think the mid to higher end EV sedans are pretty solid for road trips.

I have Honda generator.
I comes with me when Im driving my beat up Toyota and my Emtb on the cargo bay.

Attachments

• 20231213_085141.jpg
    20231213_085141.jpg
    434.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20231220_190725_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20231220_190725_Photos.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 20231220_180349.jpg
    20231220_180349.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 8
You read my post, right? It was in reference to EVs, not hybrids - which are primarily ICE with very limited electric only capability. That is except for plug in hybrids which were the worst of all in the report.
And yes, I put more confidence in consumer reports than in your (or other) random anecdotes.
Opinions,opinions,ymmv,consumer reports operates on bile and opinion, been around this type of haters too long("aha,I have been vindicated!) the three articles or subjects listing the hybrids as most reliable( owner predjudice in my opinion,like my former bosses they always loved chevys and never a bad word about them, they hated fords) things like entertainment systems do not affect relability in my opinion.if you like high maintenance and poor performance please stick with the ice vehicles and finally does no one remember the gas lines of the seventies? always a clear and present danger as far as opec is concerned, the other day during the cold snap( maybe its hopefully going to warm today) the only vehicles i seen in distress were diesels and i was surprised at the gas pumps that were down, remember saudi arabia has the united states best intersts in mind.

EVs are not practical right now for any time of distance trip. I own one. For instance, in March, I'm going from Palm Springs to Scottsdale for Spring Training. 278 miles plus or minus a few miles. I have zero confidence I could charge up anywhere between here and Phoenix along the 10 Fwy. I callsknow, the Charge Point and other apps show chargers, but I dont buy it. Whenever I needed a charger, it was either out of service or I could not find it. My next car will take good ole petrol...
lets hope its not$7 a gal( good ol' stinky toxic petrol) king of convenience except when opec calls

just like stealing gas,there are places in the boonies(around here you dare not leave an unlocked gas cap)

Back