Electric Car thread

IMG_8116.jpeg

Several years ago, one of my neighbor's trees blew down on the power lines feeding my area and took out 11 power poles in the 1.4 miles below me and an unknown number beyond my house. We were without power for several days while the power company replaced all the broken poles and restrung new lines. (The old ones didn't have much stretch which is why so many poles broke.) I already had an 8kW generator since our power went out often and it was needed to keep my basement from flooding. I merely built an extension cord to reach my EVs for charging. Any time the generator was running to power the house, I had my EV plugged in. It was easier than driving to one of the only charge stations in town, a L2. The nearest quick charge station was 30 miles away. With a 90-mile range EV at the time, that wasn't really an option.

Some day, I want to see what my miles/gallon would be if I used my generator to charge my EV. It probably won't be that great since I'm sure my generator isn't that efficient.
Gas powered generators are highly inefficient. But I wonder how efficient a natural gas fueled generator would be? There are such things.

Good point. Since my house is not on fire, why should I pay for the fire department?
Indeed. Since I have more than enough food, why should I contribute to the food bank ? Since i have a neighbor with a farm with lots of trails on it, why should I contribute to the rail trail? Etc.
Lots of excuses are always available...

Gas powered generators are highly inefficient. But I wonder how efficient a natural gas fueled generator would be? There are such things.
Propane is an option, but I haven't come across a natural gas powered generator in my search for a stand alone house unit.

It's high voltage that kills, not amperage. You can touch the terminals on a 12 voltost welders are low voltage, high amperage car battery without harm.
wet your fingers or put jumpers on your tittys,I can feel 12 volts most welders are low voltage and can kill, a fence charger( high voltage) usually doesn't kill anything but poor little gold finches high amperage with fairly high voltage will burn your feet off.

powered generators are highly inefficient. But I wonder how efficient a natural gas fueled generator would be? There are such things.
about the same as a propane unit, I would imagine, propane trumps gas or diesel for an infrequently used generator propane doesn't deteriorate like gas or diesel

Not what consumer reports found. EVs significantly less reliable than ICE and more expensive to maintain per this article. Plug in hybrids even worse, regular hybrids better.
I've had my EV for over 2 years and not 1 problem. Never been in the shop other than a recall to change out the fluid in the battery coolant system and a computer update. Took 2 hours and was free. No oil changes, nothing. The brakes last longer due to the regen braking. My other 2 Ice cars have had oil changes and 1 needed new brakes. So in 2 years my repair cost has been zero on my EV. Now it will probably break down tomorrow ;)

GM’s announcements this week were quite eye-opening and reality-revealing. Canceling the Cruise project, delaying and downsizing their planned battery plant. Huge stock buybacks. EV production cuts. AND the emphasis on continuing and expanding ICE vehicle production. They need money.

They need to retain and maintain their Union employees with their new contract, and the public cannot afford to buy their EVs. Ford and Stellantis are right behind with similar problems. Resulting in a big pushback on Govt. mandated tailpipe emission standards and a lobby to increase oil production. The White House didn’t get what they were hoping for with their green mandates and Union support. In fact the UAW still has not endorsed Biden’s presidential bid. Musk couldn’t have written a better story.

The video of the Tesla cyber truck out accelerating a Porsche 911, while towing another Porsche 911 is just pure genius.

Videos I seen on Joe Rogan's podcast Shows Joe shooting an arrow at the cyber truck and it did not penetrate the metal.
Cyber truck are not off road capable though compare to Toyota land cruiser.
It's bullet proof but not off road material.

GM’s announcements this week were quite eye-opening and reality-revealing. Canceling the Cruise project, delaying and downsizing their planned battery plant. Huge stock buybacks. EV production cuts. AND the emphasis on continuing and expanding ICE vehicle production. They need money.

They need to retain and maintain their Union employees with their new contract, and the public cannot afford to buy their EVs. Ford and Stellantis are right behind with similar problems. Resulting in a big pushback on Govt. mandated tailpipe emission standards and a lobby to increase oil production. The White House didn’t get what they were hoping for with their green mandates and Union support. In fact the UAW still has not endorsed Biden’s presidential bid. Musk couldn’t have written a better story.
Mary will eventually put them in receivership while collecting a multi million$ bonus( alas babylon!)

the mega and giga casting machines plus the robots will make the unions pretty much irrelevant
I've had my EV for over 2 years and not 1 problem. Never been in the shop other than a recall to change out the fluid in the battery coolant system and a computer update. Took 2 hours and was free. No oil changes, nothing. The brakes last longer due to the regen braking. My other 2 Ice cars have had oil changes and 1 needed new brakes. So in 2 years my repair cost has been zero on my EV. Now it will probably break down tomorrow ;)
nah, just enjoy the lack of racket and frequent $5 a qt oil changes,did I mention seldom having to tepace brakes-now if we could just get the airless tires( an old man can dream)
someday soon( thank you UAW!)

the mega and giga casting machines plus the robots will make the unions pretty much irrelevant

nah, just enjoy the lack of racket and frequent $5 a qt oil changes,did I mention seldom having to tepace brakes-now if we could just get the airless tires( an old man can dream)
someday soon( thank you UAW!)
I will be buying new tires for my EV pretty soon. The stock tires are hard as a rock and getting a little worn at 15k mileage after 2 years. I think I"m going to upgrade to a nicer tire...

Know very little about EVs, but I do know that electric motors excel in low-end torque. Does this affect tire life?

How about driving habits?

Know very little about EVs, but I do know that electric motors excel in low-end torque. Does this affect tire life?

How about driving habits?
Years ago I bought a sportier car for my high school aged kids to get to school. It had performance tires that needed replacing at about 11K miles. When I went to the tire shop, told the owner I needed tires that lasted longer, those sucked. He suggested I needed different drivers, not different model tires.

Back