Electric Car thread

Some fun stats on my recent production (solar array - the orange bar below the line) and consumption (navy blue bar above the line) in regards to charging the electric car after two long distance trips. The daily bar chart usage is usually from the electric car, especially when I'm racking up the miles. This data is from my utility website. We are a Net Zero customer. The car has a 300 mile per charge range.

The big spike on consumption on 5/19 (44.37kWh) was arriving home late from a 197 mile trip out of state (started out at 100% at my destination via a fast charge station (EVgo), and arrived home at 38% battery with over 100 miles still available) with the car charging at home that evening and overnight, and the next day (5/20) a 160 mile round trip to and from a bike ride with the car at 100% to start, no charging in between, charging at home into the evening but not overnight.(66.28kWh).

Notice the consumption bar on 5/18 when I was out of state with my electric car, and about the only items sucking electrons were the TV, the microwave, and the fridge. A mere 4.58 kWh.

In the summer our maximum production for a clear sunny midsummer day often hits a max of 78kWh. On a crappy rainy heavy clouds abysmal day in late January, when the sun, behind impenetrable clouds, isn't seen from dawn to dusk and is at its lowest ebb in the sky, production can bottom out at 3.89kWh.

Just looking at the data brings home how the electric utility companies are going to be slammed once the electric car becomes the premiere source of transportation. Still, tons cheaper (in most areas) than buying gas. We'll just be paying a different piper.

Screenshot_20230523_192111.jpg

Last edited:
So just turned in a Y and was going to wait a while before our next EV but got a pretty good deal on an Ioniq 5 lease so I got it... not the Limited trim I wanted but the mid SEL trim.

The most interesting thing is I got an extended range model, over 300+ miles so I treat it like an ICE car. I don't charge it at home and when it gets down to 10-15% I ultra fast charge it (free on Electrify America for 2 years per Hyundai promotion) back up to 80 or close to 100% (charges from 10% to 80% in about 18-20 minutes).

So it saves me money on charging and opens up 2 spaces in the garage for our EV and PHEV.

Biggest differences:

1. Driver display (I missed that)
2. Physical controls
3. Softer ride (subjective)
4. More roomy for passengers (much less for cargo)
5. I don't get lost in a parking lot (in my area, there 3 out of 5 cars are probably Teslas)

Can't wait until the bigger format EVs like the EV9, Ioniq 7 and Explorer EV come out.

So just turned in a Y and was going to wait a while before our next EV but got a pretty good deal on an Ioniq 5 lease so I got it... not the Limited trim I wanted but the mid SEL trim.

The most interesting thing is I got an extended range model, over 300+ miles so I treat it like an ICE car. I don't charge it at home and when it gets down to 10-15% I ultra fast charge it (free on Electrify America for 2 years per Hyundai promotion) back up to 80 or close to 100% (charges from 10% to 80% in about 18-20 minutes).

So it saves me money on charging and opens up 2 spaces in the garage for our EV and PHEV.

Biggest differences:

1. Driver display (I missed that)
2. Physical controls
3. Softer ride (subjective)
4. More roomy for passengers (much less for cargo)
5. I don't get lost in a parking lot (in my area, there 3 out of 5 cars are probably Teslas)

Can't wait until the bigger format EVs like the EV9, Ioniq 7 and Explorer EV come out.

I still look at the Ioniq 5 longingly when I see them on the road. And there’s no bad color option either (shooting star would be my last choice). I’d like to see a hot hatch with similar styling (Ioniq 3?).

I still look at the Ioniq 5 longingly when I see them on the road. And there’s no bad color option either (shooting star would be my last choice). I’d like to see a hot hatch with similar styling (Ioniq 3?).
Yeah, I bough the Ioniqs little brother the Kona EV in November of 21 when there were hardly any cars for sale ICE or EV. I needed the 7500 tax credit and also to get rid of my used Porsche Macan that was out of warranty so it worked out. But yeah, I would love the Ioniq. Now Hyundai no longer has the tax break on a purchase.

Nissan no longer has the tax breaks as well. I missed the credit by just 3 weeks when I got my Ariya. Had the reservation holder not dragged their feet answering the dealership as to whether they wanted the car or not (they reserved it a year ago - it arrived in December but they were out of the country until April and didn't make the "no" decision until mid January), I would have gotten the federal tax credit. Bit of a bummer, but I'm loving the car.

I ultra fast charge it (free on Electrify America for 2 years per Hyundai promotion)

2 years is a sweet deal, but not the limited factor. Are those 30 minute sessions once a day, or can you do multiple sessions per day?

I got 1 years free unlimited fast charging with EVgo for my Ariya. I only use it on trips, tho. Almost all my charging is from home (solar).

I'd use the EVgo more if I had a station closer than the current one which is 26 miles away.

2 years is a sweet deal, but not the limited factor. Are those 30 minute sessions once a day, or can you do multiple sessions per day?

I got 1 years free unlimited fast charging with EVgo for my Ariya. I only use it on trips, tho. Almost all my charging is from home (solar).

I'd use the EVgo more if I had a station closer than the current one which is 26 miles away.
What I have observed on charging stations in CA and a couple of trips to AZ is that you cant count on them working or being available. Many times they are out of service or the spaces are taken by ICE cars that park to get closer to the store or venue. When I run my battery under 35% I start to get nervous. If I needed to go to on a 500 mile one way trip, I would take an ICE car or fly...

It's funny how EV trips tend to be planned with charging station locations in mind. I noticed EVgo stations tend to be congregated in the suburban and urban areas. In between it's a desert. Would not want to travel in a electric car with less than a 300 mile range, and yet I never go below 30% before I stop to charge, even if it's a Level 2. Most Nissan dealerships have free fast charging as well for their brand of cars. Most, not all. Another plus is the Ariya charges at a consistent rate from bottom to top. Even at 90% I'm still pulling 40-50kW speed. My Leaf used to be at 7% at that stage.

With an ICE, since there's a gas station on every corner, it's the fuel prices that get you. Philadelphia area is easily 25 to 40 cents higher than my area of northern Virginia. Unfortunately I can't drive an ICE anymore. I really despise that engine drone and noise and fumes.

But it truly sucks when you hit a charging station and all of the chargers are taken up. Saw a Tesla once taking up one of the only two spots at an EVgo station, and not even plugged in. Driver gone shopping. Entitled bast*rd.

It's funny how EV trips tend to be planned with charging station locations in mind. I noticed EVgo stations tend to be congregated in the suburban and urban areas. In between it's a desert. Would not want to travel in a electric car with less than a 300 mile range, and yet I never go below 30% before I stop to charge, even if it's a Level 2. Most Nissan dealerships have free fast charging as well for their brand of cars. Most, not all. Another plus is the Ariya charges at a consistent rate from bottom to top. Even at 90% I'm still pulling 40-50kW speed. My Leaf used to be at 7% at that stage.

With an ICE, since there's a gas station on every corner, it's the fuel prices that get you. Philadelphia area is easily 25 to 40 cents higher than my area of northern Virginia. Unfortunately I can't drive an ICE anymore. I really despise that engine drone and noise and fumes.

But it truly sucks when you hit a charging station and all of the chargers are taken up. Saw a Tesla once taking up one of the only two spots at an EVgo station, and not even plugged in. Driver gone shopping. Entitled bast*rd.
My local Hyundai dealer has 2 Chargepoint stations that are supposedly free for us to use, but they are always taken by their own demos, ICE cars etc. They aint goin out of their way to have us back for a charge or 2. Also, a friend showed me a picture of a charging station right outside Cesar's Palace in Las Vegas with about 12 chargers and every spot was taken up by Porsches, BMWs etc and all were ICE. If I was not able to get the 7500 credit back then, I would have probably chosen a Hybrid. (but at the time, none were available)

I don't insult Pigs by calling some people hogs, an a$s like that needs a note left on the car.

I'm starting to see signs like this at charging stations.

4726_1_.jpg

Until they are enforced, I don't see it having much effect though

My local Hyundai dealer has 2 Chargepoint stations that are supposedly free for us to use, but they are always taken by their own demos, ICE cars etc. They aint goin out of their way to have us back for a charge or 2. Also, a friend showed me a picture of a charging station right outside Cesar's Palace in Las Vegas with about 12 chargers and every spot was taken up by Porsches, BMWs etc and all were ICE. If I was not able to get the 7500 credit back then, I would have probably chosen a Hybrid. (but at the time, none were available)
ICE blocking happened at my Nissan dealership a few times, and once where I pulled in at an out of state dealership. I simply walked in and politely asked the sales manager if they knew who was parked in the charging area and if that person wouldn't mind moving to let me charge. My request was always met with an immediate look for the vehicle owner and the removal of the vehicle. My thought was the dealership will always try to put their best foot forward for a potential customer and for nice feedback later on. I was always nice to the driver, which I hoped would stick in their mind not to block a charger again next time.

Not sure what can be done at places like Ceasar's Palace except for a 24/7 attendant with a tow truck standing by.

That sign should say "CHARGING ONLY" not Parking. You know some dufus will think "Park" means just that. And then do it, and walk off.😐
Yep,I have a tendency( through no animosity) to do similar tricks, another bad trait I have is to ignore familar signs,I almost have an excuse a very high fever about to kill me one time( measles)
it did affect my hearing, perhaps that is why my short term memory is so atrocious. When I drive these days I am very cautious and always try to get my passenger to drive( one merit I have is to hardly ever criticize other Peoples driving mostly trying to always give the other driver the benefit of the doubt) The CDL business became such a joke I dropped mine like a hot potato when I was able. Driving is serious business- not to be mingled with drugs or texting. Some think FSD would be a dangerous thing, perhaps,OTH it probably trumps distracted driving.

Back