Electric Car thread

Sorry... didn't track this. Was sort of busy looking at the VF-9. The tester guy even let me sit in it. :)

I'll make sure to look at it next time.
I was disappointed with the charge rate on my 2023 Niro EV. It peaked at around 70kW and then drops to just above 40kW near 80% then tanks to 2-3kW after 80%. I'm not sure if the sudden drop is due to charging on the "complementary" 500kWh charging plan on EA or not, but is very annoying when my 2016 Kia Soul EV could charge faster than that, and its battery pack was only 30kWh.

As a Bolt owner, I’d kill for 70kW charging. 😂

I’ve only DCFC’d a handful of times and the fastest I’ve seen was 47kW.

SEL RWD Extended... so like 300+ miles?

I really wanted a Limited but those are harder to find and the leases on them are bleh.
Do they have decent lease deals going now? I know when I bought back in 2021 I was lucky to get MSRP and even find a car. I am leasing an ICE Kona now and am looking at options when the lease ends...

Do they have decent lease deals going now? I know when I bought back in 2021 I was lucky to get MSRP and even find a car. I am leasing an ICE Kona now and am looking at options when the lease ends...
Depends on who you lease with... the captive (Hyundai Financial) is not so good. Other banks may have better programs (and can apply the $7500 Fed credit because leasing has less restrictions for the lessor).

My Ariya is rated at 130kW fast charging speed. Haven't seen that yet - the fastest has been 110kW thus far. It also maintains a flat line charge until the battery hits 97%. At that point the charging speed drops down into the double digits, and then single digits when it hits 99%. I almost waited one day for the battery to hit 100%, but at 99% the speed had dropped to Level 2 territory (7kW) and it was silly to stay any longer.

So much better than my Leaf which was supposed to get a max of 50wH but never achieved anything over 42kW.

Buzz probably won't hit until later next year.

I think the 3rd row and 2nd row folded form a flat space (need to confirm).

I so wished that the second row seats were removable. Would make a great camping vehicle. I’m still happy to see an EV van on the market and I love the styling.
Want the long wheel base w/o second seat . Galley goes there.
Edit ... just leave everything except driver and passenger seat out.
Wet bath and galley will both fit..

Hopefully not a literal ton of batteries .
In some instances the extra weight can be advavantagous, for instance driving an EV through an unruly mob, the weight and razor blades glued to the bottom would make vehicle hard to upset.

I was disappointed with the charge rate on my 2023 Niro EV. It peaked at around 70kW and then drops to just above 40kW near 80% then tanks to 2-3kW after 80%. I'm not sure if the sudden drop is due to charging on the "complementary" 500kWh charging plan on EA or not, but is very annoying when my 2016 Kia Soul EV could charge faster than that, and its battery pack was only 30kWh.
Ok... finally tracked it today.

Average was 180kw, max was 200kw (even found the Charging History section in my EA app to confirm the max).

On average, I can get from 20ish% to 90ish% in the 30 minute free EA session. Up to 80% is always 18 minutes or less which rivals Tesla Supercharging.

This makes me hopeful that charge times are going to get even faster because EA hyper charging is supposed to get up to 350kw and with Tesla Superchargers opening up to Ford, GM and whoever else... DCFC and updated battery tech can get up to ICE/gas fueling speeds.

Ok... finally tracked it today.

Average was 180kw, max was 200kw (even found the Charging History section in my EA app to confirm the max).

On average, I can get from 20ish% to 90ish% in the 30 minute free EA session. Up to 80% is always 18 minutes or less which rivals Tesla Supercharging.

This makes me hopeful that charge times are going to get even faster because EA hyper charging is supposed to get up to 350kw and with Tesla Superchargers opening up to Ford, GM and whoever else... DCFC and updated battery tech can get up to ICE/gas fueling speeds.
That average is over three times the average on my 2023 Niro EV. After your post I went looking for the EA history and found this charge session:
Screenshot_20230609_225756_Electrify America.jpg

This is just under 54kW average. The amount past 80% was at ~2kW which is pathetic. I'm definitely going to double check the charge rate on my next EV purchase!

@GizmoEV

Yeah... the new E-GMP vehicles (EV6, Ioniq 5) have fast charging as quick as Tesla. That's why I switched from the Y so I don't have to charge at home and now get those 2 free years of charging.

I just "fuel" up every 2 weeks.

I just need more EA DC chargers in my area.

So I tried a 150kw charger today:

1686940178815.jpeg

So it was a much lower rate than on the 350kw charger.

Still decent... I was able to go from 62% to 95% in half an hour. I just sat in my car and joined a webinar while I waited. The "cost" for this was $12.95 if I were not on the free plan.

$0.47 per kWh
Not cheap...
Nope, not cheap. My cost for an 800 mile trip with charging at home and at a friend's at the destination would have been the same as driving an equivalent gas car. Where the cost savings come in is when charging at home and only paying 8.1cents/kWh. Public charging is at best on parity with gasoline or somewhat more expensive.

Back