One external option is the Cygolite Metro , it's USB rechargeable with one 18650 battery it delivers 1100 Lumens on high .? They are about $100 give or take a little.

@Mauronic I installed the IQ-X E on my 2018 Quick E. Easy install and it has a great pattern. No more blinding people up the trail and I can see so much further than I could with the stock light.

I use these, they're very bright, I almost blinded myself with the headlight.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JY5ZG82/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Howdy, You wrote.... " they're very bright, I almost blinded myself with the headlight. " Assuming you were serious about 'blinding
yourself ' and not an expression of excitement, consider all the folks that will be walking or riding towards you as you ride.

An 800 lumen light is very bright. I'm guessing the optics in that $25 light, to correctly direct the beam may not be what would be found in a
higher priced unit. I'm not knocking the light, it may be great. I'm suggesting we cyclists have a responsibility to install and use a light
that will provide proper illumination for our needs, but not at the risk of others vision.

This is one time when $$s are well spent to purchase a LED light that has a beam pattern that can be correctly and safely focused
for concerned.

Howdy, You wrote.... " they're very bright, I almost blinded myself with the headlight. " Assuming you were serious about 'blinding
yourself ' and not an expression of excitement, consider all the folks that will be walking or riding towards you as you ride.

An 800 lumen light is very bright. I'm guessing the optics in that $25 light, to correctly direct the beam may not be what would be found in a
higher priced unit. I'm not knocking the light, it may be great. I'm suggesting we cyclists have a responsibility to install and use a light
that will provide proper illumination for our needs, but not at the risk of others vision.

This is one time when $$s are well spent to purchase a LED light that has a beam pattern that can be correctly and safely focused
for concerned.

Both lights have adjustable intensity levels, I would only use the brightest for off road at night.

Attachments

• IQX-E.jpg
    IQX-E.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 1,455
  • IQX-E (2).JPG
    IQX-E (2).JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 711
Check out the B&M IQX-E headlight. It has a well defined cutoff beam and a wide voltage range (6 - 60volts I believe). It’s rated at 150 Lux.

I installed a Busch & Muller IQ-xe on our Walleräng M02. The light has fantastic output and pattern, however is flashing intermittently, dimmer to brighter, every 5 secs or so. Bike only had 22g headlight wire. Could that be the issue?

I wired the leads in parallel with the stock lights from the controller on my Juiced CCX. The IQX-E needs a certain amount of current to operate. I am not familiar with the electronics of your bike. Perhaps another member can chime in.

I just got a new e bike. The controller is wired with headlight output and back light out put.
From the display I should be able switch headlight off and on. However, when I plug headlight to controller the headlight is constantly on. When I make the switch at display to headlight on, the headlight dims. Any help would be appreciated

Now for something else completely different.

I'm considering getting an extremely bright and badass flood light for dark spooky logging roads, jeep tracks, and ranch roads. Right now it comes down to two of them:
  • Sigma Sports Buster 2000, which is an extremely well-made 2000 lumen light that retails for around $240.
  • Exposure Lights Six Pack MK9, which is also extremely well-made and even brighter (apparently up to 4700 lumens!), and retails for an ionospheric $520.
Seth's Bike Hacks had reviews, sort of, of both lights and the Sigma came out much more positively, largely because of the price of the MK9 and also because for all of that money the handlebar mount was rather flimsy.

Both of these lights have a pile of cool features and bluntly also look pretty cool. But that is some major ducats to part with so I'm casting about on whether anyone here has used either one.

Sigma Sports Review:

Exposure Lights Six Pack MK9 Review (starts at 9:15):

Now for something else completely different.

I'm considering getting an extremely bright and badass flood light for dark spooky logging roads, jeep tracks, and ranch roads. Right now it comes down to two of them:
  • Sigma Sports Buster 2000, which is an extremely well-made 2000 lumen light that retails for around $240.
  • Exposure Lights Six Pack MK9, which is also extremely well-made and even brighter (apparently up to 4700 lumens!), and retails for an ionospheric $520.
Seth's Bike Hacks had reviews, sort of, of both lights and the Sigma came out much more positively, largely because of the price of the MK9 and also because for all of that money the handlebar mount was rather flimsy.

Both of these lights have a pile of cool features and bluntly also look pretty cool. But that is some major ducats to part with so I'm casting about on whether anyone here has used either one.

Sigma Sports Review:

Exposure Lights Six Pack MK9 Review (starts at 9:15):

Have you considered light and motion Seca or Supernova M99 Pro?

At $150, this is an amazing light and using Bosch 12V system, it'll do 1500 lumens and you never have to worry about charging separate batteries. They are really light. I would say 8 to 10 times brighter than the stock Supernova E3 light.

@Mr. Coffee

These are flashlights and for most people they are too heavy and too bulky to even consider using these as bike lights.

Just for the spooky places i use this flashlight, the lowest price found here.

Once in the creepy place i take out my "portable sun" to turn darkness off, low price here.

And just for the hell of it if that is not good enough than here is the ultimate option.

Last edited:
The factory installed headlights on most e-bikes are marginal at best. IMO, they are designed to let others see you rather than helping you see the road.

Many good alternatives have been posted in this thread but all require modifying the bike wiring. In my case, that will void the manufacturer warranty. As previously discussed, voltage, wire size and current capacity are all factors when trying to upgrade bike lighting.

I chose a different approach and use a self powered handlebar mounted light which recharges via the bike's USB port.

61HSxxYhwIL._SL1000_.jpg
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073ZY12WL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I mount it to the handlebars using RAM 1" ball mounts. The light is easily removed for portable use.

P1060761a.jpg ramb231zinc_img2.jpg rapb201a.jpg

https://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-plastic-short-arm-b-socket-rap-b-201u-a

https://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-zinc-u-bolt-motorcycle-mount-base-ram-b-231zu

https://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-strap-rail-base-with-1-inch-ball

I do a lot of tunnel riding and the light works well in total darkness.

P1060986a.jpg

Have you considered light and motion Seca or Supernova M99 Pro?

At $150, this is an amazing light and using Bosch 12V system, it'll do 1500 lumens and you never have to worry about charging separate batteries. They are really light. I would say 8 to 10 times brighter than the stock Supernova E3 light.

I'm adding the Seca to the list...

What I'm hoping is that I can mount these lights to the R&M Charger's idiotic front rack, as there are three mount points on that rack for lights. I suspect I'll have to get somebody to make a mountain bracket for me. Since the lights are going to be out on that rack and not on the handlebars I'll either need to integrate with the Bosch light switch (I don't know if the Seca does that, the big prominent switch on the top of the light doesn't give me hope) or use a remote, which both the Exposure and Sigma provide.

So far this is my evaluation:

Exposure Six Pack:
  • - Wicked expensive
  • + Wicked bright
  • + Has a remote (but it is extra $$)
  • + Cool features, like auto-dimming when you stop and are going slow, and auto-brightening when you are going fast
Sigma Buster 2000
  • + Has a remote
  • + Characteristic German Overbuilding
Seca
  • + Integrates with Bosch system (though how well remains to be seen)
I have tried the smaller, less expensive Exposure Joystick and Exposure Diablo and was impressed. The Diablo in particular was cool because you could set the brightness of the light by tapping the body of the light, rather than fumble for a switch in the dark. All in all I'd say they both were better quality than my old standby, the Light & Motion Trail 1000 FC Ranger. Although at twice the price they damned well ought to be. And I'd like them better if they had a GoPro-style mount.

Last edited:
I'm adding the Seca to the list...

What I'm hoping is that I can't mount these lights to the R&M Charger's idiotic front rack, as there are three mount points on that rack for lights. I suspect I'll have to get somebody to make a mountain bracket for me. Since the lights are going to be out on that rack and not on the handlebars I'll either need to integrate with the Bosch light switch (I don't know if the Seca does that, the big prominent switch on the top of the light doesn't give me hope).

So far this is my evaluation:

Exposure Six Pack:
  • - Wicked expensive
  • + Wicked bright
  • + Has a remote
  • + Cool features, like auto-dimming when you stop and are going slow, and auto-brightening when you are going fast
Sigma Buster 2000
  • + Has a remote
  • + Characteristic German Overbuilding
Seca
  • + Integrates with Bosch system (though how well remains to be seen)
I have tried the smaller, less expensive Exposure Joystick and Exposure Diablo and was impressed. The Diablo in particular was cool because you could set the brightness of the light by tapping the body of the light, rather than fumble for a switch in the dark. All in all I'd say they both were better quality than my old standby, the Light & Motion Trail 1000 FC Ranger. Although at twice the price they damned well ought to be. And I'd like them better if they had a GoPro-style mount.

SECA is compatible with GoPro mounts: https://www.lightandmotion.com/shop/bike-lights/lights-for-e-bikes/seda-1800-e-bike

It also integrates well with the Bosch system. I see @Alaskan has one on his bike. It has low, medium, high and pulse options. Pretty useful and it can be also be mounted using the built-in straps that it comes with.

The Seca is an excellent light at its price point. It turns on and off with the light switch on the Bosch display. It mounts on the same lower display bracket extensions as the Busch & Muller light that came on the Delite Mountain. This has the light turning in the direction the handlebars are pointed. It switches back on at the setting (low, medium, high or pulse) at which it was set when it was turned off. It is very bright in high beam mode. What it lacks, compared with the Supernova M99 is a tightly focused low beam with a sharp edge on the top of the beam. It is considerably more diffused and thus has to be pointed lower to avoid blinding oncoming traffic. For the money I think it is a very bright and useful, fully Bosch compatible ebike light.
20190701_061955.jpg

Okay.

The problem I am trying to solve is I want to mount this light not on my handlebars (there really isn't any room left in the cockpit, and lights mounted there tend to illuminate the handlebar roll or handlebar bag) but on the cheesy front rack. That is the big reason I use a GoPro mount on my helmet for the L&M Trail.

What I think I need is to either modify the bracket that the existing light attaches to or possibly order or make a new bracket to mount the new lights. Both the Seca and the Buster can probably get away with modifying the existing bracket, although with the Seca I'll want to mount the light far forward so I can get at the switch on the top that sets the brightness of the light (the Buster has a remote and I can squeeze it onto the handlebars I think/hope). For the Sixpack I'll need to get access to a machine shop to make a decent mounting bracket (I'm envisioning one that puts the light to the side and uses the existing front clip on the light and also uses a big rubber band to strap the light in place).

AtcLUJbHRIqkMrv8E6nkig.jpg
%Tpvbaf0SCW6pDgwMzdRUg.jpg

One of the few redeeming features of the Charger front rack is that there are three mounting points for lights. If I went with the Seca I'd replace the cheesy existing light, but if I go with the Buster or Sixpack I'll want a separate mounting point and still keep that cheesy front light. I plan that for most of my riding I will ride without the Buster or Sixpack attached.

Last edited:
Back