Hurricane56, were you able to wire the M99 to the leads that came with the light on your Haibike?

Yes, I was ultimately successful. I'm not completely sure, but the problem that I experienced was likely due to a faulty battery wiring harness. My dealer replaced it under warranty. Once I sorted that issue I just took the precaution to purchase this harness:

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy...er-battery-y-cable-automatic-power-can-520617

I cut the CAN connector off of it, crimped on my own JST connector to carry the power and CAN signal to the m99. One the m99 cable I crimped on the corresponding 4-pin JST connector and it worked. The light has been on my bike for the last 1500 miles without issue. I have a couple of things to note if you're planning this.

1. Wiring harness modification and connector crimping isn't for everyone. I have an engineering background so this wasn't too much of a pain. It's probably a 3 hour job if you have all the tools and know what you're doing.

2. The light will default to DRL mode at the appropriate time, but I can also trigger the low beam light manually if needed. The weird behavior is that the "reset" button on the Intuvia controls this function and not the "light" button.

3. The light itself in low beam and high beam is very well crafted. It projects well and does not blind oncoming drivers. I wish that Supernova would adjust their LEDs to have a slightly warmer color temperature. The cool blueness of the light leads to a slight loss of contrast in fully dark situations.

If I were to do it again, I'd probably stick with a 6v system that is a direct plug and play into the Bosch motor light output port. If you have a 2017 or newer, then you'll have more options as the system will likely be a 12v output at the light port.

Good luck!

hurricane56, Thank you for your thorough response, including the precautions!
As soon as I see canbus I know I'd be in over my head.
I'll stick with a light I can directly connect to the Bosch lighting wires that already exist on my Haibike that came with headlight and taillight, and I'll be able to control from the Nyon or Intuvia. I went with the Light and Motion Nip800 and Tuck on the recommendation of a fellow Forum member.
In the last few years I had a BMW R1200R motorcycle that I tried to change the front and rear bulbs and it caused issues on the Canbus circuit.

I suspect the m99 is passive in its use of the CANBUS data. From what I understand the light is using the speed sensor data to regulate the low beam output power.

It’s a awesome light but crazy expensive once you add up the cost of the light, mount, wiring harness, and installation time. Looking at my invoices, it was a $535 cost in parts. If you ride a lot a night year round this would probably make sense.

I suspect the m99 is passive in its use of the CANBUS data. From what I understand the light is using the speed sensor data to regulate the low beam output power.
From what I understand, it's not using the speed sensor, but a light sensor, to regulate the brightness. You go into a tunnel, it lights up. BTW it's not the only ebike light that does this, Lupine SL does the same thing.

Chris, Thanks for all the good info. Your customers are sure fortunate to have such a knowledgeable and informative local business man serving them.

My Cube Touring Hybrid Exc 500 came with a Busch & Muller Lyt B mounted on the Fork Bridge. I installed the Light in Motion 800 lumin Nip light in its place. It turns on and off flawlessly with the light switch on the Bosch display unit in what ever mode it was set in. It has three different illumination levels and a fourth pulsing level for day time visibility. It turns back on with whatever level it was set at the last time it was used. The Nip is a great bike light, small, solid, powerful and it has orange side lights for lateral illumination. Light and Motion has a nice mount that replaces the lower handlebar Bosch display mount. I have an Ortlieb Classic handlebar bag so that doesn't work for me but the fork mount works great. I was able to pull some extra headlight cable out of the down tube and solder the L&M cable to it with heat-shrink tubing and then push it back into the downtube's upper cable passage for a seamless looking install.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Finished the Lights & Motion light install. Wound up using the handlebar mounts that came with the lights. The Bosch bracket they sell stuck way out and to my eye looked out of place. Here I have them tucked in with the Nyon. Attached are pics. I went with the Nip800 and the Tuck on the front, and the Tuck on the rear. The two fronts set at pulse are mostly for daylight visibility. Being on the bike I notice that so many people are busy on their phone so I wanted as much notice up front as possible. I wish the pulse was strobe effect that I think is more visible, especially in the daylight. But overall quite happy with the light output, size, design and quality, and the customer service has been terrific!
What is really nice is not to have to pull off the rechargeable lights after every ride and mess with the mini usb connectors, and then put them back on. That they run off the Bosch system, and can be switched on from the controller, is terrific.
They don't seem to use much power as I can tell from identical rides previously ridden that the remainder of the battery is the same, or very close.

Attachments

• IMG_3354.jpeg
    IMG_3354.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,486
  • IMG_3355.jpeg
    IMG_3355.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,164
I’ve just fitted a lupine SL L 6v 500 lumin light to my Haibike sDuro fitted with a Yamaha PW motor,you do have to drop the motor to access the plug for the lighting circuit.Daytime running lights measured at .5amps and 1.6amps at 500 lumins,it is also equipped the a light sensor which automatically switches modes,NOTE! You have to buy the light cable separately,it has passed strick German and us tests and are fully road legal

I’ve just fitted a Lupine SL S light to my haibike that has a Yamaha PW motor,this is a really good light 500 lumins main beam,daytime running light and it also has a built in light sensor,easy to fit and compliant with U.S. and European regs.

MisterM, that is a cook looking light. It requires more voltage then the Bosch system can deliver thru their controller and acc. ports (6 to 12v) so you'd probably have to wire it to the battery and control it thru a handlebar switch. It looks like it is built like a tank, and produces a lot of lumens.

I am looking at the Lupine SL S headlight for e-bikes - for the LvH Bullitt E8000 I have on order. The reason I am looking at the Lupine (vs SuperNova, etc.) is it shows in Lupine's manual that a daytime flash mode is available - which is my preferred way to run a headlight in U.S. traffic. The other lights do not seem to have a flash mode, near as I can tell. Does anyone have any experience with the Lupine SL light?

Has anyone tried the Light & Motion (either Seca or Nip & Tuck)? As I understand it, many of the European e-bike lights are made to the German standards and only have a steady beam, and no flash or pulse. The L&M seem to indicate they have a pulse mode. With American drivers being relatively oblivious to bikes, I prefer to ride with front and back lights in pulse mode during daytime.

Has anyone tried the Light & Motion (either Seca or Nip & Tuck)? As I understand it, many of the European e-bike lights are made to the German standards and only have a steady beam, and no flash or pulse. The L&M seem to indicate they have a pulse mode. With American drivers being relatively oblivious to bikes, I prefer to ride with front and back lights in pulse mode during daytime.

I use L&M Nip 800 on my Haibike. Really wonderful lights compared to the crappy ones that came with the bike.
I always use the flashing mode during day time and 800 lumens is plenty for night riding.
My experience with Supernova M99 Pro is so good that I have been trying to find something that matches such quality.

I recently ordered Seca 1800 because I was so impressed seeing it in person. It puts out same amount of light that you would expect from M99.
The M99 has much sharper beam pattern but the L&M seca is close second. very powerful too.
For $150, it is way cheaper than the M99.

I use a Nip800 alongside a Tuck on the handlebars, and a Tuck at the rear (see pic's above on this thread). They pulse, not strobe, and I think that a strobe would be more visible then the pulse, which is a slow ramp up and down. I wish there was a way to change them to the strobe.
But the overall quality of the lights, the fact that they run off the bike's battery, and they are made in the good 'ol USA, along with some of the best customer service of any company I've ever dealt with, make them a great addition to the bike. And like you mention there aren't many, if any, other lights that use the bike battery and pulse.
A shout out to Alaskan who turned me on to them, as well as other goodies. He has a great feel for the gear and is totally into doing the research to find the right gear.

Roxim STZVO (German headlight standard) work at a range of voltage. Properly lights the roadway. Not a damn flashlight like so many. Nicest lighting being very much like an auto.

Back