EBR made me do it!

Mastermind TCD is incompatible with Mastermind TCU. However, the original wireless TCD is compatible (it is an ANT+ device) and it would work with Mastermind TCU. The wireless TCD costs dimes compared to a Wahoo or Garmin. Of course, the original TCD will not show you all the e-bike data but a Wahoo or Garmin would not do it, either.

I think you can configure the Mastermind TCU the way it is showing only vital data in a big type.
Will do my best to make the TCU work, then.

Little online documentation on programming the TCU data display. Any point in installing the app just to poke around before the bike arrives?

Edit: No point. Can't get in without linking a bike first.

Last edited:
@Jeremy McCreary, reconsidering... Just do something to mount your smartphone on the stem for the time being. @Prairie Dog can give an advice. Just use the Specialized App as the universal display on the phone.
Good solution for now.

Curious, will RideWithGPS display cadence and rider power from the bike's built-in sensors? Sounds like Garmin and Wahoo computers might be able to via Bluetooth or ANT+.

Curious, will RideWithGPS display cadence and rider power from the bike's built-in sensors? Sounds like Garmin and Wahoo computers might be able to via Bluetooth or ANT+.
I have never heard of RWGPS having such a capability. I strongly recommend you use the "black" Specialized App in the "Ride" mode as the universal e-bike display, and swap the apps for navigation.

This is what I get on my Garmin 530. I'm sure it "Guesstimates" calories, and maybe power as well.
The cadence is from the bike though...
Dave, your Garmin actually reads the power meter of your Giant, the speed, the distance and the cadence. Strava calculates the calories from your measured effort. Only Strava takes the distance ridden from the Garmin's GPS, not from the wheel. (Jeremy said he could not afford a Wahoo or Garmin now. For a Vado SL and a future Range Extender, I recommend a Wahoo as the only computer that can understand the RE).

P.S. My brother rides a Giant e-bike and uses a Garmin 530, so I know a lot about such a configuration :)

Good solution for now.

RidewithGPS can’t due this without extra parts - namely an ANT+ to BT converter. The Bluetooth output from the bike is proprietary, won’t work with either a bike computer or phone.

there are two small devices which convert ANT+ to BTLE, but they’re kind of fussy. I doubt it’s worth your trouble.

i agree that the best thing to do is mount your phone and use the specialized app and RwGPS together. On the right iPhone, this combo lasts longer than any ride you’ll take, but i gather you were seeing much lesser battery life on your android device.

I have never heard of RWGPS having such a capability. I strongly recommend you use the "black" Specialized App in the "Ride" mode as the universal e-bike display, and swap the apps for navigation.
I'll try switching over to the Specialized app and see how it goes. If and when I need a computer, I'll try Wahoo first.

Just as well. Probably an old story by now, but the Garmin GPS devices I tried ca. 2007-2010 left a bad taste in my mouth.

Last edited:
@Jeremy McCreary, reconsidering... Just do something to mount your smartphone on the stem for the time being. @Prairie Dog can give an advice.
Installing a phone mount to the Vado SL might be a bit more difficult than say fitting either a Garmin or Wahoo. If your wish is to install a mount onto the stem of your SL, I believe that it just involves removing the top cap which is purely aesthetic. The headset preload of the Futureshock 1.5 is below so it should be a simple task. My wife uses a SP Connect stem cap on her CD Synapse combined with a universal adapter attached to her Pixel phone case and it’s worked well for her. If you are concerned about adhesion of the universal mount to the case, SP also has a version that clamps around the phone and attaches in the same manner as the adapter. Most or all of their mounts can be purchased on Amazon.

IMG_20220811_1008583.jpgIMG_20220811_1008354.jpg

Another method could possibly be an out-front mount reversed as I’ve done on a Creo with Peak Design. Quad Lock should also work in the same fashion but you may want to confirm that yourself. I prefer PD mounts as the magnet does all of the work.

IMG_20230121_1941307.jpg

Installing a phone mount to the Vado SL might be a bit more difficult than say fitting either a Garmin or Wahoo. If your wish is to install a mount onto the stem of your SL, I believe that it just involves removing the top cap which is purely aesthetic. The headset preload of the Futureshock 1.5 is below so it should be a simple task. My wife uses a SP Connect stem cap on her CD Synapse combined with a universal adapter attached to her Pixel phone case and it’s worked well for her. If you are concerned about adhesion of the universal mount to the case, SP also has a version that clamps around the phone and attaches in the same manner as the adapter. Most or all of their mounts can be purchased on Amazon.

View attachment 181031View attachment 181030

Another method could possibly be an out-front mount reversed as I’ve done on a Creo with Peak Design. Quad Lock should also work in the same fashion but you may want to confirm that yourself. I prefer PD mounts as the magnet does all of the work.

View attachment 181032
QuadLock has a case for my Samsung Note20 Ultra now, so I ordered the case and an out-front mount this morning. We'll see how it goes. Will keep the reverse mounting trick in mind.

Amazing how many little gotchas come up in outfitting a new bike. But I'll get through it with a little help from my friends on EBR. Everyone's been very generous with their time and experience.

QuadLock has a case for my Samsung Note20 Ultra now, so I ordered the case and an out-front mount this morning. We'll see how it goes. Will keep the reverse mounting trick in mind.

Amazing how many little gotchas come up in outfitting a new bike. But I'll get through it with a little help from my friends on EBR. Everyone's been very generous with their time and experience.
I seem to recall that the QL out front Pro version isn’t reversable like the standard OF mount. You will also have to check that the mount and phone won’t come in contact with the TCD that comes with your SL. It might just be a matter of moving the QL mount outboard. Just be aware that the bar does taper the further out you go so real estate may be limited.

I seem to recall that the QL out front Pro version isn’t reversable like the standard OF mount. You will also have to check that the mount and phone won’t come in contact with the TCD that comes with your SL. It might just be a matter of moving the QL mount outboard. Just be aware that the bar does taper the further out you go so real estate may be limited.
More by dumb luck than anything else, got the reversible non-Pro, non-MAG mount.

Buying the SL from a big Specialized-only shop. (Doubly specialized, you might say.) The service manager I've been working with says my bike no longer supports the TCD, so no conflict there. Presumably knows what he's talking about.

He also recommended the QuadLock for the SL, so fingers crossed!

Last edited:
You will also have to check that the mount and phone won’t come in contact with the TCD that comes with your SL.
Vado SL has no TCD :) The display (TCU) is on the frame's top tube :)

@Jeremy McCreary it looks you are a heavy case of GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) :) but I guess it is unstoppable :) I'd give two advices for you, so you would not need repeating my own mistakes :)
  • Never try overloading the rear rack. It is actually pretty flimsy. Overloading the rack makes it bend, and that shifts the rear fender, too...
  • Be careful in the case you need to remove or replace the seat-post. If Specialized hasn't changed the design, the thing that holds the seat-post in place consists of two parts. Of those, a wedge would always fall into the seat-tube and might be difficult to be shaken out or extracted (this is what I worked on this very morning!) If you want to remove the seat-post, do it on the bike being upside-down. (Later, it is wise to insert a big piece of a sponge inside the seat-tube to stop the wedge disappearing inside the frame).

Last edited:
Vado SL has no TCD :) The display (TCU) is on the frame's top tube :)

@Jeremy McCreary it looks you are a heavy case of GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) :) but I guess it is unstoppable :) I'd give two advices for you, so you would not need repeating my own mistakes :)
  • Never try overloading the rear rack. It is actually pretty flimsy. Overloading the rack makes it bend, and that shifts the rear fender, too...
  • Be careful in the case you need to remove or replace the seat-post. If Specialized hasn't changed the design, the thing that holds the seat-post in place consists of two parts. Of those, a wedge would always fall inside the seat-tube and might be difficult to be shaken out or extracted (this is what I worked on this very morning!) If you want to remove the seat-post, do it on the bike being upside-down. (Later, it is wise to insert a big piece of a sponge inside the seat-tube to stop the wedge disappearing inside the frame).
Yes, GAS is definitely setting in. But for now, buying just enough to get safely through the trial period: Phone mount, mirror, bell, bottle cage — all easily transferred to another bike if the SL fails my week of hill tests.

Expecting a more serious GAS buildup once the SL's a keeper. Tubeless Pathfinder Pro tires for sure, probably a smaller chainring, maybe an RE. Will need a folding lock and a little storage — maybe a smallish MIK rack bag. (Would've preferred a smallish handlebar bag, but the headlight looks in the way.)

Hoping not to load the SL up any more than that. Thanks for the seat post tip.

The SL comes with a bell :) I still managed not to damage it! :D
bottle cage
If you keep the SL, I greatly recommend the Specialized Zee II cage (the less expensive of two variants). Besides, a RE set includes the proper Zee II cage and a rubber band. Cables are another thing and do not come free...

a little storage — maybe a smallish MIK rack bag.
Oh no. Vado SL rack is Racktime, and it is not MIK compatible. Please look for a Racktime compatible bag.

I agree with the rest of your choices. Honestly, I regret myself I cannot use a handlebar bag, which would be beneficial to my purposes!

The SL comes with a bell :) I still managed not to damage it! :D

If you keep the SL, I greatly recommend the Specialized Zee II cage. Besides, a RE set includes the proper Zee II cage and a rubber band. Cables are another thing and do not come free...

Oh no. Vado SL rack is Racktime, and it is not MIK compatible. Please look for a Racktime compatible bag.

I agree with the rest of your choices. Honestly, I regret myself I cannot use a handlebar bag, which would be beneficial to my purposes!
Racktime? Could've sworn I saw MIK on the Specialized site. Racktime confirmed. Thanks for heads-up.

Good news about the bell — if it's loud enough. Will know in under a week now!

I use the Any Bottle Cage by Bikase, as I usually carry a smallish straight-sided rigid thermos that regular cages can't accept. It will go on the down tube bosses.

Last edited:
Trying not to load up my coming Vado SL 5 EQ any more than absolutely necessary.

What are you Vado SL riders doing for daily storage?

Headlight would seem to block a handlebar bag. (No plans for a Jones-like bar.) The TCU and the lock I'll have on the top-tube bosses would seem to block most if not all top-tube bags. And my Redshift suspension seat post may not play nicely with a seat bag.

This small 2L rack bag is probably all I need but don't like these colors and can find no good alternatives this small. Rack bags are generally much larger than this.

Trying not to load up my coming Vado SL 5 EQ any more than absolutely necessary.

What are you Vado SL riders doing for daily storage?

Headlight would seem to block a handlebar bag. (No plans for a Jones-like bar.) The TCU and the lock I'll have on the top-tube bosses would seem to block most if not all top-tube bags. And my Redshift suspension seat post may not play nicely with a seat bag.

This small 2L rack bag is probably all I need but don't like these colors and can find no good alternatives this small. Rack bags are generally much larger than this.

A little larger than you were looking for, but how about this yellow/black Talis...

Back