Ebikemotion x35 speed limiter "fix"

Does n e one use the ap whilst cycling?
If so what's Ur thoughts
I used it for a while when I was new to my bike, figuring things out. Now I only use it to check power level or change power settings. If you use it as a bike computer, it eats cell phone battery and is not as good as a Garmin Edge bike computer.

I use it, but I've only had the bike for a little while. I like seeing exactly how much power I'm using, estimated range, avg. speed, outside temperature and how much battery is left. I'm sure the Garmin is better, but this is free so there's that. I'm running it on a OnePlus 6 on a cellphone mount and in my case it doesn't use up too much phone power. The app is a bit quirky at times but I'm starting to get the hang of it.

I used it for a while when I was new to my bike, figuring things out. Now I only use it to check power level or change power settings. If you use it as a bike computer, it eats cell phone battery and is not as good as a Garmin Edge bike computer.

My experience exactly. I use it to adjust power setting, which I do find a very useful feature or post ride for a curious I wonder how much power was left glance. All the other stuff was interesting to start off, and I did used to look at it and see what powere was used where, but the novelty soon wore off. Plus, I'd rather have a robust & dedicated GPS unit (in my case a Elemnt) than my expensive and more delicate phone hanging off the bars.

Last edited:
I'm assuming that as the x35 system uses a magnetic lockring rpm sensor to measure speed it might be possible to fool the system into thinking the bike is going slower than it actually is?

Maybe if you drilled out every other magnet in the ring it would think the bike was going at half the speed? Here's an image of the sensor ring, maybe someone is brave enough to test my hypothesis :p

1564334514085.png

I'm assuming that as the x35 system uses a magnetic lockring rpm sensor to measure speed it might be possible to fool the system into thinking the bike is going slower than it actually is?

Maybe if you drilled out every other magnet in the ring it would think the bike was going at half the speed? Here's an image of the sensor ring, maybe someone is brave enough to test my hypothesis :p

View attachment 35913
No chance!!!!

View attachment 35913

Somebody already tried that and it didn't work. Read some of the earlier posts in this thread.

The only use I would have for it is in a few years when the internal battery starts to degrade. Since I don't have any Orbea dealers near me it would be a real pain to try to replace the internal battery. Maybe by using the external battery at that time you'd get about the current range. Even if I could find a dealer to replace the internal battery, there's no telling how much that would cost but I doubt it would be cheap.

I get over 100 miles per charge anyway. Would never have need for extra battery.
Njger: 23967"]Exactly. It’s a bit steep. Cannot see many perople buying it.
I do not 2ßkm9kuse the electric, have it as ‘insurance’[/QUOTE]ewb

I gwbwet over 100 miles per charge anyway. Would never have need for extra batterybw
The only use I would have for it is in a few years when the internal battery starts to degrade. Since I don't have any Orbea dealers near me it would be a real pain to try to replace the internal battery. Maybe by using the external battery at that time you'd get about the current range. Even if I could find a dealer to replace the internal battery, there's no telling how much that would cost but I doubt it would be cheap.

Sol, by the time you need a new battery? Many improvements, upgrades will have taken place. You're just gonna purchase the latest model.

Jaxx, I know you're right. Years ago I had an iZip with an in-frame battery. When it went iZip had no replacement for the battery. Even though I'm not much of an environmentalist, I hate wasting a whole bike because of one thing. Oh well, the cool part about the Orbea is that it is very usable without the electric motor, so I guess I can keep it as a spare bike for visitors to use. Living in Florida you'd be amazed how many "friends" decide to visit us in the Winter. :)

Jaxx, I know you're right. Years ago I had an iZip with an in-frame battery. When it went iZip had no replacement for the battery. Even though I'm not much of an environmentalist, I hate wasting a whole bike because of one thing. Oh well, the cool part about the Orbea is that it is very usable without the electric motor, so I guess I can keep it as a spare bike for visitors to use. Living in Florida you'd be amazed how many "friends" decide to visit us in the Winter. :)

Ooh I know all too well Sol. While seconded in DC at the "Pent" I had a bolt hole in Fort Lauderdale. Requests from mainly American friends and colleagues I got, to "borrow" the place, were frequent. As Spring Break came around, I was never short of invites for evening meals.

Guys, sorry to slightly divert things - but how are you getting your lockring off?!

My standard Shimano lockring tool has a guide pin so I can’t use it on my Orbea Gain as the threaded axle gets in the way.

I bought a Park Tool freewheel remover tool (FR 1.3) instead for Shimano freewheels (even though I think it’s a freehub + cassette, rather than a freewheel) as that had enough of a cavity and no guide pin, so it could go over the axle... but it doesn’t really feel like it’s fitting properly. And I can’t shift the thing no matter how hard I try!

Is there a specific Ebikemotion tool I need or something?

Last edited:
Hoy me llego por fin la bateria externa "range extender"de ebikemotion para mi BIANCHI.

Attachments

• IMG_20190805_190414.jpg
    IMG_20190805_190414.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 1,430
I'm considering the Orbea Gain with the rear hub motor (Ebikemotion X35 v.2) and wondering if anyone has an idea how to "fix" the speed limiter of 25 kph. There is a sensor in the right rear dropout and 20 magnets in the cassette lock ring. Do you think removing 10 of the magnets (every other one) would allow the bike to theoretically go at twice the speed (not allowing for the physics of resistances)?

Hey Karl.
I’m finalising a product that at the moment increases speeds by 14%. PM me if you are still interested in getting that bit more out of your Gain. It is a dongle and is non destructive to your bike. Fits in seconds.

Attachments

• 8EB17B2F-CE4C-49C3-97A9-4065D69F830E.jpeg
    8EB17B2F-CE4C-49C3-97A9-4065D69F830E.jpeg
    119.2 KB · Views: 799
Last edited:
Back