DÖST IS LIVE!

@DÖST, beautiful design and maybe someone else already asked, but what's with the exposed wiring between the battery and motor on the underside? Seems awfully vulnerable to me...
1582757578712.png

@DÖST, beautiful design and maybe someone else already asked, but what's with the exposed wiring between the battery and motor on the underside? Seems awfully vulnerable to me...
Since they enclosed the motor with metal, to closely fit around it, they likely had no other choice but to run the wiring that comes out of the BBs02, externally, and keep it relatively serviceable for when or if there are electrical issues, controller, etc. The motor is designed to replace an existing bottom bracket assembly (for typical aftermarket sales in DIY ebike kits) , so they just built around that. There would have been no easy path to go back through the seat tube intersecting the bottom bracket, due to the natural exit of wiring from that BBs02 motor. The other place wiring is exposed related to the battery is for the second add on battery. It's at the bottom of the second battery and fairly short. Looks thick and robust.

Electrek does a "First Look" / promo piece for DŌST bikes. No meat just a quick nicely done overview, just a little hyperbole on a 50km/h comment on an ascent, but the speedometer clearly shows 26 km/h for the climb and 50 km/h for the decent. Otherwise just a pretty honest first-look at the new bike. This is not a review though so no real analysis.

Website has 2 different numbers on it, 60 & 100.
Hey CityExplorer, Dave from DŌST here, the rear rack is rated for 100 lbs... sorry about the confusion, I'll follow up to find the 60 lb rating and remove it, thanks for your help

Hey CityExplorer, Dave from DŌST here, the rear rack is rated for 100 lbs... sorry about the confusion, I'll follow up to find the 60 lb rating and remove it, thanks for your help
That was Webcurl's question, but he'll be happy to hear it is 100lbs I'm sure. I was pretty sure that 100lbs was correct given the design is part of the frame.

ps.. Good move on making the rack compatible with many Panniers, since the rack is a permanent part of the frame this is very important, yet many bikes have poor designs in this regard.

Hi all - Long time lurker first time poster. Been following Dost since Court's video from few months ago. I appreciated Court's thorough review of their bikes. As an older rider, I feel like dost's bike really appeals to me - not too aggressive. I met with Sam to test ride the Drop model from their warehouse and it was extremely comfortable and had plenty of zip. Nice that they are local to me which helps my buying decision. Sam was very knowledgeable and helpful. thank you.

I'm going to test ride one today. A shop in Nanaimo, on Vancouver Island, told a friend that he has one for testing. so we'll take it for a test ride this afternoon.

A question for Dave from Dost. I am interested in ordering second battery when I order bike but not keen on giving up the water bottle holder location. Have you considered a bottle holder that can click into where the 2nd battery mounting hardware. In that way most of the time I would just use that spot for water bottle but in off chance I want to go with second battery I would only need to snap out bottle cage mount off battery mount and snap in battery. Thoughts or is this already in the works in future version?

Keith

Some comments on my short ride on the Dost ebike:

The Good
-this is a good looking bike, with a very good fit and finish.

-the bike feels very stable. Very easy to ride and quite agile.

-it has tons of power. The speed limiter was not in place and pedaling hard I was able to hit 48kph on a flat section.
In the top (5) power range I had no problem cruising along at 40kph, with just normal pedaling. If I bought this bike I'd also buy the extra battery, because it's so easy to ride this bike at faster speeds.

The Not So Good.
-each and every time I stopped pedaling I could hear and actually feel a clunk coming from the motor. I'd be interested to know if this was normal for Bafang mid-drives or if it was a single issue with this bike. This is the first ebike I've ridden with a Bafang mid-drive.

-Dost has to do something with that wiring harness that runs underneath the motor. It looks like crap. How hard would it be to come up with a plastic cover that bolts on to the motor case?

Overall, my wife and I both like this bike and it's on her short list.

Last edited:
Some comments on my short ride on the Dost ebike:

The Good
-this is a good looking bike, with a very good fit and finish.

-the bike feels very stable. Very easy to ride and quite agile.

-this bike has tons of power. The speed limiter was not in place and pedaling hard I was able to hit 48kph on a flat section.
In the top (5) power range I had no problem cruising along at 40kph, with just normal pedaling. If I bought this bike I'd also buy the extra battery, because it's so easy to ride this bike at faster speeds.

The Not So Good.
-each and every time I stopped pedaling I could hear and actually feel a clunk coming from the motor. I'd be interested to know if this was normal for Bafang mid-drives or if it was a single issue with this bike. This is the first ebike I've ridden with a Bafang mid-drive.

-Dost has to do something with that wiring harness that runs underneath the motor. It looks like crap. How hard would it be to come up with a plastic cover that bolts on to the motor case?

Overall, my wife and I both like this bike and it's on her short list.
TY for the ride-report!

A question for Dave from Dost. I am interested in ordering second battery when I order bike but not keen on giving up the water bottle holder location. Have you considered a bottle holder that can click into where the 2nd battery mounting hardware. In that way most of the time I would just use that spot for water bottle but in off chance I want to go with second battery I would only need to snap out bottle cage mount off battery mount and snap in battery. Thoughts or is this already in the works in future version?

Keith
Hi Keith, sorry for the late reply... great question, the plan is to have additional water bottle mounts on the seat tube so you can have both the extra battery and a water bottle attached at the same time, or two warer bottles if no extra battery. This mount would work for a folding lock (i.e. ABUS) carrier as well. Cheers, Dave

Back