Does it exist..??? A fat-tire bike (generally for sandy, or snowy roads) with the power of a serious e-MTB (apt for steep hills, off-roads) ..??

I've found the exact opposite of most of that to be true. Maybe I'm just using different tires? What bike and tires did you have? I will say the $10 (if that) tires that came on my wife's fatbike performed about like that...but I wouldn't expect a $10 MTB tire to perform well on a MTB either. Of course the OP isn't looking for challenging trail rides so it's moot to him.

To the OP: Were the fat bikes you tried hub drive? If so, keep in mind a mid-drive of the same power will perform much better on hills. I do agree with some here that you generally don't need a ton of power to do well on hills with a mid-drive, but "well" on a trail ride where lower speeds are acceptable and you're in it for "the experience" is different than what you're looking for. You're trying to get somewhere in a reasonable amount of time without having to do interval training at the same time. So I think you are on the right track looking for something with lots of power. To add a couple more to your possibilities that haven't been mentioned yet to your list:

Not really high-end, but the cheaper bits can be upgraded. The LX might suit you well. They use the Bafang Ultra.

Again, not super high-end but may get the job done for you. Quite a selection, some you may like use the BBSHD others use the Ultra either of which I think would be powerful enough to make you happy.
Many thanks for your thoughts, much appreaciated...!

So, you also agree that a fat tire bike on relatively steep hills should posses a strong engine with proper torque... What you think should be the minimum, 750w, 1000w..?

Thanks also for the links to more bikes, unbelievable just how many manufacturers there are... 🤩

@DandyD can you import any bike you like into Spain? Bikes beyond the Euro standards (250 watts, etc...)? I've sent things to Europe and I know it doesn't always go smooth and taxes/duty can be expensive. It would be a shame to get hooked on a bike you cannot import.

You might want to consider BH ebikes:

A Spanish company, in business more than 100 years under the same family ownership.

Best of luck!

@DandyD can you import any bike you like into Spain? Bikes beyond the Euro standards (250 watts, etc...)? I've sent things to Europe and I know it doesn't always go smooth and taxes/duty can be expensive. It would be a shame to get hooked on a bike you cannot import.

You might want to consider BH ebikes:

A Spanish company, in business more than 100 years under the same family ownership.

Best of luck!
Hi J.R., thanks for your input, and indeed an amazing company with many bikes to choose from, unfortunately, no FAT TIRE bikes ;-)

Ps. I have never imported a bike from the USA, so honestly I dont know, but I am sure that manufacturers that ship worldwide will know their ways...

Wow That E06 looks pretty tempting! i just wish the battery was bigger!
Thats why i'm having my battery built with the re-engineered case, those will be my everyday batteries whilst we work on the 'belly battery', which will protrude about 50mm from the bottom of the frame to accomodate pouch cells or......... 3d printed battery materials :eek:

Anyone knows if DENGFUBIKE is any good, quality, service, etc..?
Dengfu are OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) and ODM (Original Design Manufacturer) for many brands, names you have heard of, even before ebikes they were making quality carbon frames, their reputation is that good pushkar at wattwagons has staked his company on dengfu............hydra is dengfu frame. Hydra Black is..........

Thats why i'm having my battery built with the re-engineered case, those will be my everyday batteries whilst we work on the 'belly battery', which will protrude about 50mm from the bottom of the frame to accomodate pouch cells or......... 3d printed battery materials :eek:

Dengfu are OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) and ODM (Original Design Manufacturer) for many brands, names you have heard of, even before ebikes they were making quality carbon frames, their reputation is that good pushkar at wattwagons has staked his company on dengfu............hydra is dengfu frame. Hydra Black is..........
Aha... very interesting... learning some insiders know-how here as a newbee, thanks to the fabulous, active forum and its members.. o_O:cool:😇

Mostly pavement ? Or a mix of both ? My suggestion is to ditch the knobby tires , if you mostly you ride on pavement. I hated mine and swap them for 3.5 inch V-Speedsters. Night and day difference.

Mostly pavement ? Or a mix of both ? My suggestion is to ditch the knobby tires , if you mostly you ride on pavement. I hated mine and swap them for 3.5 inch V-Speedsters. Night and day difference.
An Ultra Sondors came in with a shredded drivetrain today. It is getting a stronger chain (two of equal length joined) a new stronger gear cluster with a wider range, a long cage derailleur and a trigger shifter to replace the twist. The guy hates the knobby tires. Thanks tor the suggestion. I am sending him a link to the Vee tires. These 4.9's are way too fat and knobby.

Yes, mostly pavement.... So, you are saying the 26x4.8" offered by e.g. Wattwagons will be too bulky, and knobby design will be a negative instead of the general positive for an fat tire bike as towards a comfy ride..?

Ps. the 3,5"V-Speedsters are very different from a fat tire...

There's no fat tire, or plus size tire which is less 'knobby' ?

An Ultra Sondors came in with a shredded drivetrain today. It is getting a stronger chain (two of equal length joined) a new stronger gear cluster with a wider range, a long cage derailleur and a trigger shifter to replace the twist. The guy hates the knobby tires. Thanks tor the suggestion. I am sending him a link to the Vee tires. These 4.9's are way too fat and knobby.
jeez, i thought Sonders tuned their Ultras down?

Yes, mostly pavement.... So, you are saying the 26x4.8" offered by e.g. Wattwagons will be too bulky, and knobby design will be a negative instead of the general positive for an fat tire bike as towards a comfy ride..?

Ps. the 3,5"V-Speedsters are very different from a fat tire...

There's no fat tire, or plus size tire which is less 'knobby' ?
3.5 inch is still a fat tire, IMO. It's all personal preference. I lot of riders don't mind the noise of the knobby on the street but I hate it. The picture I posted is with the V Speedsters.

Off topic. Forgive me or do not read this. Our group ride today above the GG Bridge in the Marin Headlands was almost called off because of fog. I had to remind the gang that the rest of the continent baked this week, 100 in Boston, Seattle over 110. We are fortunate to ride in the fog as we rise above it and it lifts by mid-morning. I just finished the restoration a recumbent mid-drive with three chains. Next the Sondors, then an in-box trike build with a mid-drive conversion.

I had a Specialized full suspension trail bike with 2.3 inch wide tires and there would be too much wheel slip in the loose dirt and there was not enough traction going up very steep and long hills. I bought the French Yamee Fat Bear with 4" knobby tires the tread) , 750W rear hub motor, and 14.5 Ah battery. I can take the Yamee places where with the trail bike I would have had to walk as there would be too much tire slipping even when pedaling in the lowest gear.

Might be different with the newer tread rubber formulations like the new version of the Specialized Butcher Grid Trail with the softer T9 compound but at the time I used what was available.

I had a Specialized full suspension trail bike with 2.3 inch wide tires and there would be too much wheel slip in the loose dirt and there was not enough traction going up very steep and long hills. ....I can take the Yamee places where with the trail bike I would have had to walk as there would be too much tire slipping even when pedaling in the lowest gear.
I've found the same. The more difficult the climb, the better off I am on my fatbike vs my trailbike. Loose dirt, sandy dirt, rocks, wet rocks, etc...the traction advantage is real.

So, you also agree that a fat tire bike on relatively steep hills should posses a strong engine with proper torque... What you think should be the minimum, 750w, 1000w..?
I don't think anybody can answer that for you, maybe not even you until you try a given bike with a given amount of power. How much weight it's carrying, how steep your hills are and how fast you really want to go up them...too many variables. That's kind of why I was erring on the high side--there is a lot of collective experience out there with 1000W mid-drives showing they're pretty darn capable and will likely be a safe bet.

Anyone knows if DENGFUBIKE is any good, quality, service, etc..?
I think the frames are pretty well proven as being of good design and quality, given the number of people who have built bikes from them with good results and the manufacturers who are using their frames as their "flagship" models. As for their complete bikes, I should be able to shed some light on that soon. A couple of months ago I ordered one of those complete E06's mentioned by Haystacks which should be here any day now. I didn't want to build this one from scratch for various reasons so I'll get a complete bike out of the box and will upgrade from there. I got the "Economical" build so I expect it will come with some pretty cheap parts on it so I'll at least be able to offer some opinions on those parts before I upgrade them. The "Professional" build looks like it comes with some pretty good parts at a decent price, but not necessarily the parts I would choose, but it doesn't look to be a bad value compared with big name brands.

As far as service, I think there's only so much you can expect when you get a mail order bike from China. If you're a guy who can't fix a flat tire or adjust a derailleur, you probably want to steer clear of any mail-order bike. If you're up to regular bike maintenance, I don't think there's as much to be afraid of. The good thing about the Bafang bikes is there are parts available for them everywhere. If something goes wrong, you can likely buy the parts and fix it yourself. I much prefer that freedom to being at the mercy of a local bike shop who may have to wait on Shimano (or fill in another brand here) for parts or to fix or replace the motor or even a smaller part that can render the bike inoperable.

@DandyD , if your on Youtube search "High Voltage BBSHD" you can find some fun and informative videos on his experience with his BBSHD Specialized Fat bike build! he has been beating the crap out of his for three years and it still shreds!

Back