Off-road hills for large rider < $2,000

newheights

Region
USA
Compiling some more budget friendly options and curious to hear other's opinions and suggestions.

Goal budget is to stay under $2,000 before tax. Could stretch to $2,500 if it checks every box.

Intended use is mixed, riding flat pavement with a kid trailer sometimes, brewery tours, etc. Other times riding dirt/gravel forest service roads, with some fairly steep hills (one in particular with average grade of 11% over several miles). I would use it for some basic single track if it was maneuverable enough though no jumps or anything particularly aggressive, but not a priority.

Need to have:
  • offroad tires, or option to switch to offroad tires, minimum 27.5 x 2.4 (or fat 26 x 4)
  • front suspension
  • torque sensing motor
  • high weight capacity, rider + gear will be ~275 lbs, prefer ~300+ lbs weight limit to leave room for accessories, secondary battery, water, etc
  • support attachment of burley steel hitch for kid trailer at the left rear axle, or be adaptable to this (https://burley.com/pages/hitch-guide)
  • fit tall rider, 6'4"
  • 15-20 mile range
  • easily swappable battery (to carry extra and change trail side)
  • hydraulic brakes
  • 180+ mm rotors
  • weigh 70 or less lbs (without battery) for bike rack rating

Nice to have
  • upright / relaxed geometry for more comfortable rides
  • tune-able pedal assist settings
  • rear suspension
  • mid drive
  • throttle
  • 29" wheels
  • quad piston hydraulic brakes
  • 200+ mm rotors
  • tubeless ready wheels
  • belt drive with IGH (unlikely but can dream...)
  • rear rack / fenders
  • integrated light
  • 30-50 mile range
  • range extender / dual battery option
  • shimano trigger style shifting
  • weigh less than 70 lbs including battery

Ideas so far:
Aventon Aventure.2, hits the price point at ~$1,900, I am not really sold on fat tires but willing to try them, would remove single track options but could be fun to try in the snow. Torque sensing hub drive with a fair amount of torque on the hub motor. Frame supposedly has a larger size but it looks like that really just extends the seat tube without modifying the stack/reach (I think), not sure if this would be capable of the hills I want. LBS sells them and will offer support. Main holdup here is not being sure if the power will be adequate, question on frame fit, and not sure if I would like fat tires. Also looks like the pedal clearance of the ground is pretty small.

Ride1Up Prodigy XC - over the mark on price at ~$2,300 but impressive enough specs to make up for that, 90 nm mid drive brose, components look good. Main holdup is there is only one frame size for 5'6" to 6'4", which I doubt would be very comfortable at either end of that spectrum (but open to hearing otherwise)

Ride1Up LMT'D - price on point at ~$1,500, 95nm torque sensing hub motor, again unsure on frame fit. Also unsure how it would perform offroad, it does have a front suspension and it has 27.5" x 2.4" slicks on it which I am guessing could be changed to MTB tires, but I haven't seen any reviews of anyone doing this. Additional holdups on frame fit (same listed 5'6" to 6'4"...) and if the hub motor can handle the hills.

Priority current was very tempting with the mid drive and belt drive, but with no front suspension and tires maxing out at 2.1", and price of $2,600 (costco next), I think it's a no go. Unfortunate that they don't have an offroad option.

Biktrix was considered but I think too expensive for a budget oriented pick

Sondors mid drives considered but again I think too expensive

Motobecane Hal e29 (bikes direct) - top of stretch price range at $2,500 but checks all the boxes on paper, full suspension 29er with mid drive shimano and hydraulic brakes, main holdup here is I am leery of mixed reviews on quality and lack of support for assembly or any issues that come up. Relatively small 418 Wh battery. I am suspicious the price is too good to be true, and that is probably for a reason. I also don't see a max supported weight listed anywhere. https://www.bikesdirect.com/product...ikes-hal-e29-electric-mountain-bikes-29er.htm

Motobecane Elite eAdventure Team (bikes direct) - $2,200, essentially pretty similar to the full suspension version above with a slightly bigger 504 Wh battery, and slightly cheaper, but still out of target range. Not sure if the rear suspension on the Hal e29 is high enough quality to be worth the $300 difference or not. Same reservations on the brand as above. https://www.bikesdirect.com/product...ikes-electric-bikes-elite-eadventure-team.htm

Anyone with experience with these bikes care to weigh in, or any other suggestions to consider?

The Aventon Aventure 2 is a good choice and also appears to be the only UL certified bike on your list, which may or may not be a factor depending on where you live, it’s required in New York City.

If UL is a factor then in addition to the Aventure, other UL certified bikes with wide tires in your price range include the Radio Flyer M880, Velotric Nomad, and Ecotric Hammer, though none have a torque PAS sensor. The Juiced RipCurrent has a UL certified battery and a torque PAS sensor, and like the Aventure it is a Class 3 so you may have to program the top speed down depending on where you intend to ride.

If UL is not a factor the Biktrix Juggernaut Classic does not have a torque PAS sensor but is in your budget. The Nireeka Prime A4 with the rigid fork likewise is in your budget and has a torque PAS sensor.

Last edited:
The big hill and trailer in mind, it would have to be a mid drive for me......

Aventon Aventure.2, hits the price point at ~$1,900, I am not really sold on fat tires but willing to try them, would remove single track options but could be fun to try in the snow. Torque sensing hub drive with a fair amount of torque on the hub motor. Frame supposedly has a larger size but it looks like that really just extends the seat tube without modifying the stack/reach (I think), not sure if this would be capable of the hills I want. LBS sells them and will offer support. Main holdup here is not being sure if the power will be adequate, question on frame fit, and not sure if I would like fat tires. Also looks like the pedal clearance of the ground is pretty small.
Believe it or not, there are videos on youtube of Aventures going down some singletrack (nothing beyond blue, of course). You are right about the frame sizes only extended the seat tube. I'm 6'4, though, and it's a comfortable riding position for me. Some people have put other stems on to sit even more upright. Pedal clearance is poor. Some people have replaced the cranks with 155s, but that's probably not comfortable for a tall rider. The main negatives of fat tires I've found are: Very high rolling resistance (not fun to pedal with no power), they don't fit in a lot of places (some kind of bike parking, bus racks, hangers in light rail, etc), and they have a distinctive look which is not "stealthy". The pros are that they ride through anything. I've ridden over gravel, wood chips, mud deep enough to reach the rims, and it's all fine. And the contact patch is large enough that it doesn't tear up soft surfaces or leave big tire ruts.

They do have full fenders, which is great for wet/dirty riding without getting wet/dirty. I kind of see that as the biggest conflict in your requirements (singletrack vs fenders+rack).

REI has Co-op e bikes that could be considered too. For example CTY e2.2 Shimano steps e6100 60nm torque mid drive with 500 Wh battery, front suspension, currently on 20% off clearance making them more affordable (https://www.rei.com/product/172496/co-op-cycles-cty-e22-electric-bike). But my understanding is they are geared a bit more towards road bikes with 2.1" slicks. I'm going to try to swing by and take a look at them at some point

@Ben J that's great to know at your height you find the fit comfortable. I'm leaning towards the Aventure.2. I have found fat tire bikes interesting since looking into e bikes. Do you find your feet hit the front tire much when pedaling and turning, or is there plenty of clearance between the wheel and the pedal circle?

Do you find your feet hit the front tire much when pedaling and turning, or is there plenty of clearance between the wheel and the pedal circle?
Frames with enough tubing to avoid hitting the front tire with your foot went the way of the dodo bird about 1959. My feet hit the 2" front tire & I'm 5' 7" with a size 8 1/2 shoe. Importers save millions on freight from ***** by making the frames as short as consumers will put up with.
4 miles of 11% should not overheat a geared hub motor. If you lug one slowly uphill for an hour, say Huntington Beach to Lake Arrowhead, yes, the winding will cook and blow the fuse. Mac said so.

Check max weight(bike+rider+gear)on these bikes.
Middrive with derailleur means you have option to lower gearing. If its 10 or 11spd then wider range cassette. Unfortunately not lot options for 9spds.

Middrive with derailleur means you have option to lower gearing. If its 10 or 11spd then wider range cassette. Unfortunately not lot options for 9spds.
99% of mid drives offer only speed multiplication, not torque. Drive gears are usually 46 tooth. Only premium MTB's with 52 tooth rear sprockets offer any torque increase. These are 10" in diameter. You can look at the pictures in Court reviews to see than most models do NOT have one of those.
Some brands you can have the front gear changed to 42 or 36, but that voids the warranty.
My geared hubs push 330 lb up 12% hills. I'm only 160 lb, bike tools supplies rain gear water 94 lb, up to 80 lb of ag supplies mower parts or groceries. When I could get 1300 W geared hubs or 1000 W 12t motors, It could push 330 lb up 15% grades without pedaling. The hills I cross are short rollers, and 77 of them in 3.7 hours didn't overheat the Mac12t. .

Last edited:
Do you find your feet hit the front tire much when pedaling and turning
That has never happened to me. I'm a "ball of the foot at the center of the pedal" guy. If you have a more forward mountain bike stance you might catch it.

Back