Does it exist..??? A fat-tire bike (generally for sandy, or snowy roads) with the power of a serious e-MTB (apt for steep hills, off-roads) ..??

The aim for me is to use the e-bike as a commuting bike, so NO serious off-roading...

But, as I have steep hills to climb to reach my home, I know by experience that the general fat tire rentals don't make it uphill, and stop somewhere half-way..., and this doesn't work naturally... :).

I like the comfy feeling of a soft pressure fat-tire, but need the power to go up hill... that's the issue I hope to solve with your help...

Also, do the bikes you mention need (serious) peddling as assistance to the engine, as I would prefer to have a bike with an engine strong enough to make it on its own, and where the peddling is merely for fun instead of a daily serious exercise... ;-) ?

Thanks again!
Ah ok, so that tells me you want full suspension but don't need it. Full suspension on a fat bike takes your availability way down. Also, the fat bike rentals you had that only made it halfway up the hill... I am guessing they were a geared hub in the back? Could also have been a 1 donkeypower (250w) motor.

Ditch the rear suspension requirement and you have a WIDE variety of choices where otherwise you have only a very few at the top of the price heap. Get yourself a good suspension seatpost like a Thudbuster LT or a Kinekt. Fat hardtails configured like this, with a mid drive, can climb any street in comfort. My bikes generally have panniers on them specifically because they are commuters and store bikes that are carrying extra gear like work clothes/shoes, or my lunch or both.

A BBSHD conversion like this one can get you up the hill without any pedaling. Just upshift, relax and either hit the throttle and snooze your way up the hill, or max the pedal assist and gently pedal yourself up as if you are on flat ground.

I will almost always pedal a bike like this and get exercise, but if I have a date then I might throttle it all the way home, or a conference call coming up shortly same deal on the way into the office.

IMG_20190827_082403.jpg

Lastly: You will find that plus-sized tires about 3" wide are just as comfy as fat tires on the street but are much easier to deal with in a number of ways. I would broaden your search to plus size tire'd bikes.

I quickly checked the shipping options, and found this so far...

* Haibike Full Fat six 7 > AVAILABLE IN SPAIN
* Wattwagons fat Hydra > DONT KNOW YET
* Rize RX Pro > USA & CANADA ONLY
* Watt Wagons Ultimate Cross Tour > DONT KNOW YET
* cyrusher.com, the XF800 and XF900 > THEY HAVE A SPANISH WEBSITE WITH THE EURO AS A CURRENCY, SO I BELIEVE AVAILABLE IN SPAIN
* bikonit.com, the HD750 > NOT CLEAR ON WEBSITE, USA BASED COMPANY
* Biktrix Ultra > ONLY USA + CANADA
* RisunMotor > AVAILABLE TO SHIP TO SPAIN

Hi all,

I might be searching for a bike that doesn't exist (yet)...

I am looking for a fat-tire e-bike, because of the comfy ride due to the size and pressure of the tires, with the high capacity strength of an e-MTB..., one which can triumph the steep hills of Barcelona.

The bike should have a serious torque (+85Nm) besides (very) strong general motor power (+1000W).

Do you know of any fat-tire e-bikes with such characteristics?

Many thanks for your replies, much appreciated!

Abrazo, Louis

Report Edit
Yes, affordable too, but currently out of stock. It doesn´t need 1000w to climb anything because of 500w
& a broad range of gears. However, there are EU limitations. Just the same, you might look at the
NCM Aspen or Aspen +. If you are not experienced in bike maintenance, the + would be a better choice

Ah ok, so that tells me you want full suspension but don't need it. Full suspension on a fat bike takes your availability way down. Also, the fat bike rentals you had that only made it halfway up the hill... I am guessing they were a geared hub in the back? Could also have been a 1 donkeypower (250w) motor.

Ditch the rear suspension requirement and you have a WIDE variety of choices where otherwise you have only a very few at the top of the price heap. Get yourself a good suspension seatpost like a Thudbuster LT or a Kinekt. Fat hardtails configured like this, with a mid drive, can climb any street in comfort. My bikes generally have panniers on them specifically because they are commuters and store bikes that are carrying extra gear like work clothes/shoes, or my lunch or both.

A BBSHD conversion like this one can get you up the hill without any pedaling. Just upshift, relax and either hit the throttle and snooze your way up the hill, or max the pedal assist and gently pedal yourself up as if you are on flat ground.

I will almost always pedal a bike like this and get exercise, but if I have a date then I might throttle it all the way home, or a conference call coming up shortly same deal on the way into the office.

View attachment 91580

Lastly: You will find that plus-sized tires about 3" wide are just as comfy as fat tires on the street but are much easier to deal with in a number of ways. I would broaden your search to plus size tire'd bikes.
Hi m@Robertson,

Many thanks for your extensive reply. 🍀

Yes, one rental I had had a 450-500w powered motor, and passed-out half way up... Then again, it was clearly build for city cruising on flat grounds...

As I am new to the subject I am interested in what items you mention in your reply, like the Thudbuster LT, quite amazing piece.. :)

Quite honestly, I don't think I have the technical skills to assembly a DIY bike, as this might result in a never ending project...

But, yes, I do seek what you mention in your post...

"A BBSHD conversion like this one can get you up the hill without any pedaling. Just upshift, relax and either hit the throttle and snooze your way up the hill, or max the pedal assist and gently pedal yourself up as if you are on flat ground.

I will almost always pedal a bike like this and get exercise, but if I have a date then I might throttle it all the way home, or a conference call coming up shortly same deal on the way into the office."

How can I get this in a ready for purchase bike, available for delivery in Spain?

I have to say first i'm sorry for the quality of this picture, i snapped my phone in half clearcoating the bike and have had to use an old broken phone which it also happens has a bad lense, i wasn't going to post any pictures until i had some decent ones in the sun but the forecast is for rain all week :( oh and please forgive the messy cockpit/wiring, i haven't shrunk the heatshrink yet until i know everything is 100%

Self build FTW

bike1.jpg

Yes, affordable too, but currently out of stock. It doesn´t need 1000w to climb anything because of 500w
& a broad range of gears. However, there are EU limitations. Just the same, you might look at the
NCM Aspen or Aspen +. If you are not experienced in bike maintenance, the + would be a better choice
Hi John Peck,

Possibly you can get up with 500w and a lot of gears, but I seek a comfy ride, up hill, without too much, or no gear change at all, just let the engine do the climb, and peddle along for fun, and in case desired, for work-out... ;)

I have to say first i'm sorry for the quality of this picture, i snapped my phone in half clearcoating the bike and have had to use an old broken phone which it also happens has a bad lense, i wasn't going to post any pictures until i had some decent ones in the sun but the forecast is for rain all week :( oh and please forgive the messy cockpit/wiring, i haven't shrunk the heatshrink yet until i know everything is 100%

Self build FTW

View attachment 91581
Very nice bike indeed, but self-built is way too advance for me at this stage... I first seek to buy a high-end substitute, fat-tire, car substitute for daily commuting down hill to the city, and back-up when coming home...

Fat tires for snow and sand is partially inaccurate. In snow, they are wonderful in fresh powder. But not worth a hoot on ice, frozen slush, frozen bike tire tracks, or any type of precip on top of ice. On sand, they are better, but really soft and dry sand takes a ton of power. In my opinion, oversized tires like 2.4" wide are far superior for serious e-MTB. On our single tracks, you can ride if it's muddy. So less air pressure in a Schwalbe Super Moto-X is the perfect tire for me. The fat eBike I had was horrible on sharp switchbacks and hard climbing. The Haibike is so much more agile. I want to ride like its an assisted mtb, a Haibike Full Seven with a 250 watt Bosch mid drive has yet to be stopped on a hill. If you want to ride like it's a dirt bike, then I can't help.

Very nice bike indeed, but self-built is way too advance for me at this stage... I first seek to buy a high-end substitute, fat-tire, car substitute for daily commuting down hill to the city, and back-up when coming home...
www.rayvoltbike.co.uk

They sell these locally. Not sure about fat tires.

They sell these locally. Not sure about fat tires.

I believe these are more leaning towards the e-MTB models, and I didn't see any fat tires on a quick look..., and this has to be part of the package ;-)

I believe these are more leaning towards the e-MTB models, and I didn't see any fat tires on a quick look..., and this has to be part of the package ;-)
I can see why. Mine are 3.5 inch and are so forgiving on our crappy streets.

This is why you tend to see hem with larger motors, they're called fat bikes for a reason -aslower than mountain bikes and less effective but softer and lots of fun to ride, and handle 15-20mph bumps better than most pedal bikes. Enioy your bike - search DandyD :)

This is why you tend to see hem with larger motors, they're called fat bikes for a reason -aslower than mountain bikes and less effective but softer and lots of fun to ride, and handle 15-20mph bumps better than most pedal bikes. Enioy your bike - search DandyD :)
@supertiny, thanks and indeed, I really hope to find a proper bike soon with all the help from this forum threads, all the best, and keep on riding ;-)

Total nonsense and i should have shut the same bs down before. Join a fatbike forum and see what happens in the winter, when all the elite like on this forum have packed up for the year, fat bikes are coming into their own. 45nrth dillingers are s*it on ice? Fat bikes can't handle slush? Srs? Fatbikes can't ride muddy singletracks? Lol, wtf.! Why continue..... like i said before mostly fatbike haters on here.

Total nonsense and i should have shut the same bs down before. Join a fatbike forum and see what happens in the winter, when all the elite like on this forum have packed up for the year, fat bikes are coming into their own. 45nrth dillingers are s*it on ice? Fat bikes can't handle slush? Srs? Fatbikes can't ride muddy singletracks? Lol, wtf.! Why continue..... like i said before mostly fatbike haters on here.
Hi Haystacks, thanks, but I dont really follow your comment..., as most of the reactions seem valuable, and give direction towards finding a proper fat tire e-bike..., I'm happy with the comments so far..., more is welcomed... 🍀

richc and supertiny What they don't realise is there is a massive fat bike community that don't promenade with fat tyres in florida, they shred the arctic with them, in my case i hit the most inhospitable country in the UK with a Malamute everyday, mainly singletrack sheep tracks, i can tackle any terrain any weather, any conditions, anytime of the year. My needs are not theirs but that doesn't mean the tools are lesser - quite the opposite, i smash over ground that would leave them crying, there is an emtb youtuber who came up here and his Haibike allmtn 7 couldn't handle it. Fat emtbs are 4x4s (SUV) go anywhere, anytime ebikes. Simple.

How can I get this in a ready for purchase bike, available for delivery in Spain?
I'm not sure that you can. One of the things about doing your own conversion is you can tailor it to your needs, not necessarily what a commercial manufacturer has decided they care to sell you. And of course legality is an issue. Here in the States we don't really have any enforcement to speak of along with much higher legal limits to start with. But its not the same everywhere.

Try these guys if you decide to go for an EU source for Bafang motors. They are in Austria and have shipped their unique BBSHD motor guards to me.

I'm not sure that you can. One of the things about doing your own conversion is you can tailor it to your needs, not necessarily what a commercial manufacturer has decided they care to sell you. And of course legality is an issue. Here in the States we don't really have any enforcement to speak of along with much higher legal limits to start with. But its not the same everywhere.

Try these guys if you decide to go for an EU source for Bafang motors. They are in Austria and have shipped their unique BBSHD motor guards to me.

Ok, will check... So far the Watt Wagons Hydra looks amazing, but also amazingly expensive if you go close to full options / upgrades... Still investigating .... :)

Back