First e-bike for commuting with steep roads

So, that’s how it actually looks if you were standing at the bottom of the hill ?
it looks steeper then it is. it is still pretty steep. it is kind of my test hill. but the gearing is so high on my e bikes I can't keep the cadence up to keep the max power. I need a much smaller chainring to spin up this hill. 16 to 18% grade I can spin 60 to 80 rpms. above that and I start loosing speed and then motor doesn't to add any more.

Finding a good balance between top speed and hill climbing is key. So far I am quite pleased with my build in this respect.

Finding a good balance between top speed and hill climbing is key. So far I am quite pleased with my build in this respect.
yep for the most part I am fine. but man wit power the gearing is not great but with power its pretty dialed in for me. Now on our e tandem we can ride well without power on the flats but 5% grades its getting hard.

but 20 to 22% grade is pretty steep.
I would estimate the worst grades i have to negociate are 5-6%. For you non engineering types, that is 5-6 feet vertically for every 100 feet horizontally. 5% is the max on a bike trail to comply with the ADA requirements though you can get exemptions.

I would estimate the worst grades i have to negociate are 5-6%. For you non engineering types, that is 5-6 feet vertically for every 100 feet horizontally. 5% is the max on a bike trail to comply with the ADA requirements though you can get exemptions.
lucky you. here we dont have a lot of flats. right behind my house I can climb 1500 feet in 2 miles when I get to the top of that road I pictured. we have geared our tandem to climb them.

Of course, that is exaggerated by the telephoto lense.
The reported steepest climb in Oregon which is in Portland averages ~21% with a max of ~25% but it is only 0.3 miles long. I'd have to see a Google map of the 2 mile 1500ft elevation gain route to believe it (in Portland, or anywhere else in Oregon or Washington for that matter).

I've ridden some steep routes in Oregon and Washington including around Crater Lake and Hurricane Ridge Road and I don't think I've been on section that climbed 1500ft in 2 miles as reported above but I'm interested in seeing where that is.

Here is a picture from Rowena Crest. The total elevation gain to this spot from a point 2 miles down that road is only 525 feet. Route with 3x that elevation gain in 2 miles? Want to see it.
20191213_122336.jpg

The reported steepest climb in Oregon which is in Portland averages ~21% with a max of ~25% but it is only 0.3 miles long. I'd have to see a Google map of the 2 mile 1500ft elevation gain route to believe it (in Portland, or anywhere else in Oregon or Washington for that matter).

I've ridden some steep routes in Oregon and Washington including around Crater Lake and Hurricane Ridge Road and I don't think I've been on section that climbed 1500ft in 2 miles as reported above but I'm interested in seeing where that is.
I am a bit off its been awhile since I did this and I didn't to map it out . 800 feet in 2 miles pretty much constant climbing from 10% to 20% with a lot of 16%

I was interested in the 1500ft elevation gain in 2 miles route.
Here is another picture from Rowena Crest. 2.8 miles down to about the level of the highway, only 625ft elevation gain.

20191213_122557.jpg

I rode up Mt Lemon in AZ once (not all the way, it got too cold and absolutely froze on the way back down). I heard that Lance Armstrong trained there. I don't think there is anything close to a 1500ft elevation gain in 2 miles there either.

I was interested in the 1500ft elevation gain in 2 miles route.
Here is another picture from Rowena Crest. 2.8 miles down to about the level of the highway, only 625ft elevation gain.
the one I posted was a bear twice as much elevation would kill me. my heart rate was over 160

Hello,

I'm new here and I'm looking for an e-bike for my commuting. Before covid I used to ride my "normal" bike (i.e. not an electric one) for my commuting. I live in a upper neighborhood in North Vancouver (Canada), the way down in the morning was never an issue :) But in the evening, at the end of my work day, the way up to home was quite a challenge and I used to do only the half-way on my bike, and then put my bike on a bus for the last part after the bridge. You can see my route in the below screenshot, and you can see that the last 5 km are quite steep - some parts have a 8-9% grade. I worked from home for the last 2 years but I will have to go back to the office soon, and since I didn't do much sport recently, and I would like to avoid the bus, I'm looking to buy an electric bike so I can do all my trip on my bike.

View attachment 116154

I tried lot of different models, and I read lot of posts on this forum and watched lot of reviews, but I'm still struggling to decide about the one I want to buy.

First, the best model I had the chance to try so far: Gazelle Medeo T10 HMB (Bosch motor - 500Wh - Torque 65Nm - $4300 CAD)
(actually I tried some better models but they were all +$4500 CAD that is way too expensive for me)

I was able to test it around my home and I know that it can manage the steep roads without any issue. The motorization is really powerful and the acceleration is smooth, that's a great one to ride and it fits well my size. The main issue with this bike is its price. I could buy it if that's the only choice but I'm wondering if I could find another more affordable bike. The issue is that all the other models I tried with less powerful motors (50Nm or less) gave me the feeling to really struggle as soon as I was on a steep road.

Secondly, one bike that is still a bit of mystery to me is the RadCity 5 Plus (Rad motor - 500Wh - Torque 58Nm - $2300 CAD). It is much cheaper, the motorization is totally different and honestly I feel it's less comfortable (I have the feeling to be pushed like on a motorcycle), but overall that seems to be a really good and well equiped bike for the price. I had the occasion to test it on flat roads only, and it was a nice ride, but I'm struggling to find any information about how it will manage my specific road with steep parts. If I can be sure that it will be fine on the long run, I would go for it mainly because of the saved money compared to the Gazelle. Did anyone already have the chance to test it on really steep roads?

Do you think of any other e-bike that would be a good deal in the range $2000-$4000 CAD and that could handle steep roads? Ideally I would like to be able to test it before to buy it. Thanks a lot for your help.

Cheers
Maybe a crazy idea, but I can't enough positive things about my Ride1UP Roadster v2. My 1 year, 4000 mile review is here.

Hi Indianajo - thanks for your feedback.
I'm 1.93m and 85kg, so I know the Rad may be a bit short for me but when I tried it it was okay. About the duration of my ride, it will be under 71min as I'm a bit faster than what Google Maps is saying. Even with my regular bike, I did all my trip in 55~60min, so I expect to to be around 45~50min with an e-bike. In this case I'll be very close to the geared hub drive limit of 1000' per hour. I will have a look at the other options you pointed, but seems most of them are online options only and I would really like to try to bike before to buy it.
Even with my Ride1UP Roadster v2 single speed, if you're reasonably fit, I'd guess you could accomplish the trip you describe in 30-40 minutes. With pedal assist levels 3-5 (out of 5) I can regularly can do 18 mile rides with 1500+ ft elevation rise in about an hour (traffic/stop-light dependent). Generally, with higher PAS able to maintain 17-20 mph average speed, and with lower PAS and more exertion, 14-17 mph.

I just saw the new Aventon review on the main EBR page, and that looks like a low cost entry that should do the job for you (based on the adequate power, lighter weight, and gears available).

People are suggesting mid drive and I usually do too but if you have the same hills in your commute I wonder if it is worth a hub motor to get some regen power back going down the hill? Maybe even retrofit your favorite commute bike style with a front wheel kit?

People are suggesting mid drive and I usually do too but if you have the same hills in your commute I wonder if it is worth a hub motor to get some regen power back going down the hill? Maybe even retrofit your favorite commute bike style with a front wheel kit?
When I first started exploring ebikes early last year, I thought about regen too, and researched it a bit. Turns out there are two big problems with regen braking on ebikes. The first is that there is little energy to be recovered, compared to cars, for example. I found this very surprising, but the math is pretty solid. The second is that geared hubs can't be used for regen, only direct drive, and it turns out those have a lot of drag when not using power.

Back