Do you regret buying (or not buying) Step-thru vs. Step-over frame?

Enlighten us sb!!
This is pretty basic, but dropper posts were invented for mountain bikers to lower (or raise) the seat using a handlebar-mounted quick release. Many like to lower the seat for downhills to let them have more control and use their legs as shock absorbers, but want the seat higher for level ground pedaling efficiency. However, dropper posts can be mounted to most bikes and you can use the control to lower the seat to make getting off and on the bike easier. Depending on your bike's geometry, one might be able to mount a 170mm dropper post, which would provide over 6&½" of seat travel, which makes a big difference in ease of bike dismounting and mounting.

This is pretty basic, but dropper posts were invented for mountain bikers to lower (or raise) the seat using a handlebar-mounted quick release. Many like to lower the seat for downhills to let them have more control and use their legs as shock absorbers, but want the seat higher for level ground pedaling efficiency. However, dropper posts can be mounted to most bikes and you can use the control to lower the seat to make getting off and on the bike easier. Depending on your bike's geometry, one might be able to mount a 170mm dropper post, which would provide over 6&½" of seat travel, which makes a big difference in ease of bike dismounting and mounting.
Ok. That makes sense and is another valid option.

I purchased a step thru looking ahead to when the right like hike may become an issue, I’ll already have the issue solved.

Ahh, so that's why some R&Ms have a control for the post right on the handlebars. Wonder why this hasn't caught on more?

Would be interesting to have a dropper post with memory of a few positions to be used when coming to a stop, then boom - seat is right back to the riding position.

As one with screwed up knees. I don't think I would be riding if it wasn't for step-thru. I've tried.... had to tilt my old trek to about 30deg to get my leg over. So I'm very pleased with my step thru city cruiser

Update: Still no regrets at 10 months and 1,600 miles. Just the opposite — I thank the step-thru frame every day.

If the frame's flexing, I can't tell — even on rough trails. Nobody's gonna mistake this 75 year-old guy with a beard for a woman.
To be honest, I don’t care what anyone thinks about my bike or myself.

To be honest, with the male and female anatomies, I always thought they had the male/female bike frame backwards!🤔

One thing that I'd add is to always have a brake lever pulled until your ready to go, even if you don't have brake cut-off switches.
It helps to keep the bike from rolling until your ready, and if you have brake cut-off switches, the motor won't kick in until you release the brakes.
Nice add.

I'v e discovered not all "step through" frames are truly step through. Some have a top bar high enough to be a difficult framer to mount. A crank forward or flat foot frame can be mounted from the rear as easily as many step through designs.

I would only buy a step through if i was no longer able to get on a traditional frame, i hate the design of 99% of the Stepthru bikes i see.

Bought stepthrough as that is all they had in my size at time. No regrets, wouldn't hesitate to buy another.
In regards to dropper posts unfortunately it means forgoing suspension seat post. There are droppers with suspension but last time I looked couldn't source one.

Yeah they are too girly.
I grew up riding bmx. Stepped up to Mtb.
One day my father caught me riding my sister's girl bike and was angry to see me his only son riding girl's bicycle.
From that day on step through bicycles are for girls. Im still not convinced step through are for males.
That’s nonsense in my opinion. Think about the make and female anatomy!🤔

Because of that, I think they made the ‘boys/girls’ bikes backwards!!

Yeah they are too girly.
I grew up riding bmx. Stepped up to Mtb.
One day my father caught me riding my sister's girl bike and was angry to see me his only son riding girl's bicycle.
From that day on step through bicycles are for girls. Im still not convinced step through are for males.
Or maybe they're for males with exceptionally large.... 🙃
Kinda like the low mounted childrens urinal...
Clearance my friend... Clearance

Interesting although it wouldn't help much with mounting or dismounting if ones bike had a rear rack with travel bag mounted on it.

Interesting although it wouldn't help much with mounting or dismounting if ones bike had a rear rack with travel bag mounted on it.
Good point, but the real answer depends on the specific geometry and how much stuff you're carrying.

A Specialized Tero X 6.0, for instance, has a rear rack mounted to the rear triangle:
91622-11_TERO-X-60-29-MORNMST-DKNVY_HERO

While this bike is designed for rear panniers, you can see that if you figured out a top of the fender travel bag, it would have to be pretty tall to be as high as the seat.

Back