Do you regret buying (or not buying) Step-thru vs. Step-over frame?

Bought stepthrough as that is all they had in my size at time. No regrets, wouldn't hesitate to buy another.
In regards to dropper posts unfortunately it means forgoing suspension seat post. There are droppers with suspension but last time I looked couldn't source one.
TrevorB- I bought a stepthrough this year that came with a combo dropper/suspension - the Bulls Iconic Evo 1 750 Wave (yes, the name is too long) reviewed by Court several weeks ago (https://electricbikereview.com/bulls/2023-iconic-evo-1-750-wave/). While the bike is very solid otherwise, the suspension/dropper feature was not reliable for me and I switched to a Thudbuster suspension seatpost. I suspect this was a sample defect and not a defect in the design of the component. The Bulls website describes the post as a "Limotec A3-Z suspension dropper" for anyone looking to source one. As an aside, I don't miss the dropper because the step through design itself solves the need for the suspension post when used as an aide to mounting and unmounting (as opposed to its traditional purpose for accommodating down hill mtb position described in this thread by Smorgasbord).

And I thank you for that!
I know you like to poke fun at silly things. There is a reason that videos like Sheldon Brown's exist; they show technique. One of my bikes is a 29er, large frame. The saddle is roughly level with the bars, and that puts the saddle at about my belly button when I'm standing next to the bike. It's a big bike; I'm 6'-2". The saddle is positioned for proper leg extension to give me pain free power. I'm older and I have a very bad back, with 4 fused vertebrae, rods, bolts and a cage. I've been riding a long time and I ride a lot, I don't feel the need for a step through (yet) because I mount the bike properly, as shown, I lean the bike. I also dismount at stops. From the saddle my feet cannot touch the ground. This way I have the power to spin, without stress and damage to my knees and hips.

All that said, if and when I need a step through, I will get one. If I need a trike, I'd get one. I'll get a recumbent quad if it keeps me rolling down the trail and road. I don't care what it looks like, because when you're using it, looking down the trail, you can't see it. Just like stupid looking helmets, I can't see it when properly used. Most people just don't care what others are riding.

I know you like to poke fun at silly things. There is a reason that videos like Sheldon Brown's exist; they show technique. One of my bikes is a 29er, large frame. The saddle is roughly level with the bars, and that puts the saddle at about my belly button when I'm standing next to the bike. It's a big bike; I'm 6'-2". The saddle is positioned for proper leg extension to give me pain free power. I'm older and I have a very bad back, with 4 fused vertebrae, rods, bolts and a cage. I've been riding a long time and I ride a lot, I don't feel the need for a step through (yet) because I mount the bike properly, as shown, I lean the bike. I also dismount at stops. From the saddle my feet cannot touch the ground. This way I have the power to spin, without stress and damage to my knees and hips.

All that said, if and when I need a step through, I will get one. If I need a trike, I'd get one. I'll get a recumbent quad if it keeps me rolling down the trail and road. I don't care what it looks like, because when you're using it, looking down the trail, you can't see it. Just like stupid looking helmets, I can't see it when properly used. Most people just don't care what others are riding.
I get it... and agree.
I was poking fun more at the fact that these are skills I mastered in my childhood. Similar to the other tasks I joked about.
On my current bike I too can not reach the ground from the saddle and at a stop the stand over gives me about a mm of clearance if I don't immediately lean. Stopping on rough uneven terrain is becoming more of a challenge, especially later in the ride when I'm starting to tire.
This all said... I have a new step_thru that should be arriving sometime next week. I'm thinking my knees and my olives will thank me.

I get it... and agree.
I was poking fun more at the fact that these are skills I mastered in my childhood. Similar to the other tasks I joked about.
On my current bike I too can not reach the ground from the saddle and at a stop the stand over gives me about a mm of clearance if I don't immediately lean. Stopping on rough uneven terrain is becoming more of a challenge, especially later in the ride when I'm starting to tire.
This all said... I have a new step_thru that should be arriving sometime next week. I'm thinking my knees and my olives will thank me.
Pragmatism is not a dirty word👍

Back