Cruiser hub is problematic and replacements are impossible to find.

Klumze

The cruiser's hub keeps having bearings fail even with correct gearing, shifting, cadence etc on the drivetrain. I am on my third hubs. Looking for replacement hub or wheel. Has anyone else had this issue here? I am trying to find a replacement wheel or hub but its hard to find something that fits all the specifics for this bike.
27.5" x3" Tires
157mm x 12mm slotted bolt on axle, 36 hole spokes with 212mm total axle length.
The bearings are 12mmx26mmx8mm and non standard size. You can order them from China but they are probably the same quality as the ones that keep failing.

The cruiser's hub keeps having bearings fail even with correct gearing, shifting, cadence etc on the drivetrain. I am on my third hubs. Looking for replacement hub or wheel. Has anyone else had this issue here? I am trying to find a replacement wheel or hub but its hard to find something that fits all the specifics for this bike.
27.5" x3" Tires
157mm x 12mm slotted bolt on axle, 36 hole spokes with 212mm total axle length.
The bearings are 12mmx26mmx8mm and non standard size. You can order them from China but they are probably the same quality as the ones that keep failing.
I am thinking that a cargo bike wheel may be the ticket. Is it only the rear or both front and rear? We could also drop it to 26" wheels which are stronger. We were just discussing something very similar on another thread with @m@Robertson. The 12mm slotted dropout could be made 14mm or get a 12mm slotted insert from Yuba to make is a Shimano standard size. If we went standard than that would open more options. And the new hubs could then be laced into the existing wheels.

I purchased a axle that can convert 12mm thru axle hubs to bolt on as they custom machine the part. I should get it Friday but now I am looking for a 36h 157mm 12mm thru axel hub with Shimano gearing. Hopefully I can find something, otherwise I will need to look for a 32 hole rim and have a wheel made.

Super Boost. What a bunch of BS. It wasn't enough to make an incompatible hub width (Boost)... once it became common the industry had to invent Super Boost to keep people buying.

I would absolutely build my own wheel. Its what I do on every bike I own regardless of whether I buy a bike (with the intention of gutting it) or buy a frame and build it up.

I would absolutely stick to Shimano cassettes (HD). SRAM compatibility is not necessary and neither is microspline. The most broadly compatible standard is Shimano.

32H is fine so long as you do proper spokes and brass nipples. I do 32H on all my cargo bikes. I am having a wheel built right now with Sapim Strong spokes. Sapim makers an E-Strong but it is a 12ga/13ga butted and thats so big on the hub side that most hubs cannot fit it thru their holes. the 13/14 Strongs are fine and they are freaking strong as their name implies. Alternatively, a DT Champion 2.0. If you are made of money... DT Alpine but only if your hub can take the size.

Good spokes like Sapim Strongs are more than a dollar each so that explains why cheap Chinese spokes are the norm not the exception.

This is where I get mine Always in stock and he ships fast. You will need to talk to your local wheelbuilder to learn the needed spoke length.

Thank you! I will definately take what I found to my LBS and see about building me a wheel. The bolt on part of the hub is whats hard to overcome. Like 99% of all hubs that are 12x157mm are thru axel or quick release and I was told a QR will not work for a 750 bafang motor. Im having a special axel machined from a shop that will slide into a thru axel but have bolt on slotted threads at each end made to my sizing. Comes in friday and it would mean the difference in hub selection. Just dont want to buy a new hub yet until I see if I got the specs correct and if it works as stated.

What I said notwithstanding, this Raceface wheel may be a good option. Building your own wheel would be more expensive. JensonUSA sells them for $50 less (oops its 28H never mind). But... out of stock until September. Another possible reason to build your own wheel. DO NOT be tempted to re-use parts of your existing wheel. Can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Edit: Wheelbuilder.com will build you a wheel with a Velocity Dually rim that will work very well for you. But the Chris King hub they have to use is godawfully expensive. Great hub but massive overkill for that cruiser.

Last edited:
Yeah I don't go over 20mph-25mph on this and I ride on solid ground only for exercise. I don't need anything more special then to just take the torque and not break every 300 miles. I would be more than thrilled to go 2 years or more without rebuilding a hub. Right now Im getting them replaced 4x a year.

Last edited:
My bike is a 7 speed. Should I be concerned that most of these wheels say 8-10 speed? Will a 7 speed casette fit on these without issues?

My bike is a 7 speed. Should I be concerned that most of these wheels say 8-10 speed? Will a 7 speed casette fit on these without issues?
Okay, since you are doing so much anyway, the Tourney shifter, derailleur, and freehub on that bike are made out of stinky soft cheese. With peer review here on EBR, I recommend looking into a Box 3 nine-speed group set. These are very nice. $200. All the parts are perfectly indexed for each other. The gear range is much better, 11-50. The derailleur clutch system is wonderful at taking up the slack. One problem: You will need tandem shift cable because the gear or 'shift sensor' is burred way down under the battery. A big loop of cable must be made to feed it through. Getting the cable through there is a huge PITA even for experts. I have done it twice so far. You will also need needle nose vice grips to hold the gear sensor still while the cable is feed through. The seven speed you have is a screw on type that will not work with a free hub cassette body.
1653001378498.jpeg

I actually have a 11-34 mega range on a trigger shifter already installed using the original derailer. Going back to my original question does the 8-10 speed wheel not work if I'm using a 7 speed cassette?

I actually have a 11-34 mega range on a trigger shifter already installed using the original derailer. Going back to my original question does the 8-10 speed wheel not work if I'm using a 7 speed cassette?
The original cluster of gears is called a free wheel. It will not work on what is called a free hub. Free hubs will not take a free wheel gear cluster, only a true cassette - cassettes attach with a lock ring - they do not screw on.

As @PedalUma said: No. Even if you convert to a cassette the spacing will be wrong, although you can use a spacer to sort of fix that. I wouldn't. I'll let you in on something that the lifers around here know already. I am an admin on the Sondors Facebook user group and I saw the prototypes of these mid drive bikes well before they hit production, as well as earlier versions that led up to the production models. I know the arguments that were made to use 7 spd freewheels (the manufacturer building to Sondors specs argued chain strength and shift simplicity for noob riders) and I argued strenuously against them (we were not a part of the design process we just got an inside look and I made my concerns known as an experienced high-powered mid drive builder). The Rockstar was eventually changed to a SRAM 11s drivetrain which was a very good thing, but the other two models remained as-is.

My point behind mentioning this at all is to justify my telling you that you will be well-served to remove that drivetrain entirely, since now you pretty much have to replace its core - the hub. At this point Uber Boost is going to be helpful as you want the space to convert to ... 9 speed. That means throw out the cluster (cassette), chain, derailleur and shifter. 9 speed is the de facto standard for hi power mid drive builds for a reason, although there is a great case to be made for 11s (which I will skip because its too much money and overkill for you).

@PedalUma 's Box 3 suggestion is excellent, but you can spend less and do at least as well for yourself. The Box 3 cluster is actually a Sunrace steel cluster whose model designation escapes me at the moment (I own one of each), and its construction is strong but not best for a mid drive. You can see why when looking at the little bare alloy spacer in the pic above. That is needed because the bigger cogs are bolted onto the next smallest cogs. They don't attach to a spider that is full-width. So the spacer makes up the difference. In phone conversations with Box I asked one of their tech guys if that construction is going to hold up under a strong mid drive ... and they didn't know. It is meant to be strong and live in an mtb world. Not an emtb world. But it is a strong product. Whats better?

The Microshift Advent all steel 11-46T cluster. These cogs are single-piece hardened steel and they go all the way to the center. Not even a spider. AND they are pinned together. AND the Microshift Advent derailleur and single gear (best for ebike) shifter that go with it are cheaper than the Box. I have Box components on two bikes. One is a Box Two derailleur and Box Two shifter, with Box 3 cluster. The other one is a Box Two Derailleur, Box One e-shifter and Microshift cluster. And then I have a third bike that is Microshift Advent everything. The Advent parts are less flashy but cheaper than the already budget Box stuff and work great. I like the high quality fit/finish and glass smooth shift of the Box stuff, but the Microshift is so good for so much less its the way for the rider to go who is trying to justify a drivetrain change. The shifter, derailleur AND rear cluster ran me about $125 total. This and the fixed hub will transform your bike. Add in a SRAM EX1 ebike chain ($25 on Amazon) and you won't have to screw with anything in your drivetrain until you actually wear it out.
PXL_20220112_003543358.jpg

Back