Chain tensioner with Alfine 8 IGH ?

yach

Hi,

I noticed a new ebike built by/for the online dealer Alltricks in France. Brand is unknown and custom (Bicyklet).

Why would they put a chain tensioner on this Alfine 8 ? All other ebikes I've seen so far with internal gear hubs don't use chain tensioners. Are there any advantages or drawbacks using this ?

Thanks

Because the frame has vertical dropouts, there is no way to move the wheel to adjust the chain tension without the tensioner.

Because the frame has vertical dropouts, there is no way to move the wheel to adjust the chain tension without the tensioner.

Ok I see, thank you.

So this is mandatory with such a frame. Isn't it weird designing an ebike frame with IGH that way ? Doesn't it look like a design error, or reusing a frame not meant for IGH in the first place maybe for cost reducing (which seems odd given the need to adapt the frame to the battery and motor) ? I mean, shouldn't a € 3k ebike avoid using such a frame design when it's meant to be equipped with an IGH ?

And what about the consequences on maintenance and "performance" (even if it's not a bike designed with performance in mind) ?

Like many manufacturers, they use the same frame for different models, with the other models using a traditional derailleur. While they could have designed the frame with horizontal dropouts and a hanger so it could work with either a derailleur or with an IGH without a tensioner, they just chose not to. There is a slight advantage to vertical dropouts in that there is no question as to where the wheel hub sits in the dropout. With a horizontal dropout, if the quick release is loose or you are just not careful, you might end up with brake rub or worse, the tire rubbing the frame.

Back