Chain stretch

DDBB

I ride 99% paved bike paths or roads and go very easy on the motor/drive train. bike is Haibike trekking 6.0 with Yamaha drive and 10 speed cassette in the back, two chain rings up front. I clean and lube the chain every 100mi. on average. I have 750mi. on the bike and so far my chain stretch tool shows no wear that I can see. I read stories of people needing a new chain in 1,000 mi. or 2,000mi.. I'm hoping to get at LEAST 2,000mi. So anyone want to post how much longevity they get out of their chains with similar conditions and maintenance?

2,500 miles on each of my 2 Bosch powered Haibikes. Mtb and Trekking. Still on original brakes and cassettes.

I guess this isn’t a valid comparison as I’ve got a rear hub motor... but 5k miles on original chain and not yet showing stretch when measured.

My factory chain on my rear hub motor ebike was stretched out at 1,200 miles but the high quality replacement (can't recall the brand and model) looks great on the stretch gauge at 2,200 miles. I do average about 150 watts during my commute (I imagine that amount of power being transmitted affects chain life). It also seems that the factory chain was of lower quality than the replacement. I clean and lube it every 300 miles or so.

My next ebike will be belt driven, I just want to own things that require less maintenance.

Rear hub motors do not have any impact on chain life as the power they apply is at the hub and does not pass through the chain. The only strain on the chain of a rear hub bike is that applied by the rider.

On my Bosch powered, mid drive bikes, I am replacing chains after approximately 2500 miles. At $35 for a Shimano XTR Dura-Ace and riding 7,500 miles per year that translates to an annual cost of $105 for chains. Not really a significant cost for so many miles. Frankly the maintenance, cleaning and lubing, are more of a hassle than the cost.

Yes, I should have been more clear. I'm averaging 150 watts of human power.

And I agree, the cost of the chain isn't an issue, it's the time and mess of cleaning and lubing it.

What life one gets out of a chain will vary significantly as to your riding style, terrain, weight, power output, etc.
On my Haibike Full Seven Bosch speed (28mph) I am about 200lbs., ride in mostly eco and tour on mostly flat areas and i get around 1500-2000 miles per chain before it stretches out.
I do use the KMC ebike specific chains which don't seem that much different then the Shimano chain that the bike came equipped with as far as longevity goes.

I ride 99% paved bike paths or roads and go very easy on the motor/drive train. bike is Haibike trekking 6.0 with Yamaha drive and 10 speed cassette in the back, two chain rings up front. I clean and lube the chain every 100mi. on average. I have 750mi. on the bike and so far my chain stretch tool shows no wear that I can see. I read stories of people needing a new chain in 1,000 mi. or 2,000mi.. I'm hoping to get at LEAST 2,000mi. So anyone want to post how much longevity they get out of their chains with similar conditions and maintenance?
I just replaces mine at 1000 miles. I have a Bosch Performance line Speed motor on my bike, am a heavier rider, and have been doing a lot of hill riding lately. At my last tuneup, bike mechanic measured some chain stretch. Since I’m a woman who rides a lot by herself, figure better safe than sorry.

I have a Bosch Performance Speed motor that powers my Haibike. I'm currently on my second chain and have been able to get 2500 miles. I usually ride the bike on long flat stretches of road on Turbo. The other wear item I've changed is the 11t and 13t rear sprocket also ever 2500 miles. The two small sprockets usually get the most wear at higher speeds and since the chain has a fewer number of teeth to grab onto, the stresses of that chain tension eventually make the chain slip over teeth.

I have a Bosch Performance CX on my Haibike, chipped for no restriction. I am a Clydesdale at 6'4" and 205(ish) pounds and like to go fast. On my road and mountain bikes I used to easily get about 2-3k miles for a chain but on the Haibike I am at 1000-1500. Completely forgot to check stretch when I first got the bike and then had to pay the price when I got skipping around 2450 miles and had to replace sprocket, cassette and chain.
Now I check weekly and replace the chain when I hit 0.5% on the Park tool. I buy regular 11 speed chains when I see them on sale (FSA or SRAM) around $20, usually buy several. Still a lot cheaper than filling up a car and all that maintenance.
Since then I get much more mileage out of the sprocket and cassette. Last change was at 7500 miles, so about 5k. I'm about to hit the 9k miles mark on my bike.

Yes, I should have been more clear. I'm averaging 150 watts of human power.

And I agree, the cost of the chain isn't an issue, it's the time and mess of cleaning and lubing it.

Been cleaning and lubing a bicycle chain since I was 10. It's just part of routine maintenance that needs to be done...

Not having great chain life with my Bosch + 10 speed slx derailleur.

First chain stretched around 1200(Although I can blame the winter conditions, salt, ineffective lube)

The second chain is not 750 yet and already past 0.5. I clean, lube and maintain the bicycle regularly, cogs, cassette etc shows no wear. This chain spent most of its life on the sunny California.

Maybe it is the KMC silver chain.

I also realized that some Yamaha owners are getting great chain life. They seem to have the 2x10 system which keeps the chain straight most of the time and that may contribute the great chain life.

PS: Although I ride on eco as a rider I can put 250w+ by myself (My average is usually 150-200W) so with the motor it can reach to 400W maybe that is the reason.

My chain usually start to stretch at 5,000 miles, somewhere in between 0.75% to 1.0%

But I have a hub motor so if you have mid drive, I'm sure it's A LOT lower.

When I had road bikes I always got at least 5000 miles. I’m at around 4000 now on my eBike, and still perfect. I ride pavement only, never clean the chain, and lube with Blaster dry lube from Lowes. It is just a cheap lube, not marketed for bikes, but after 10 years Of excellent results I’m not changing a thing.

600 km out of my last chain...and I'm not complaining because I enjoyed them all

Attachments

• 5638F402-875D-483E-B257-B56876414944.jpeg
    5638F402-875D-483E-B257-B56876414944.jpeg
    193.6 KB · Views: 390
Just replaced my chain for the first time, last night... 6,343 accumulated miles over about 16 months (on a rear hub ebike.)
When laid out straight on the table at the shop, alongside a brand new chain, the old one was not quite 1/4-inch longer than the new one. Before they took it off the bike, they put a chain stretch tool on it, and while it didn't simply "fall into place" indicating more than enough stretch, just a slight nudge dropped it into place. Cassette looks good (per their review) so it seems I swapped chains at the right time.

I just fitted my second chain after 6,004 miles on my Giant Road E+1 Pro, I'm happy with that! My last acoustic road bike had Ultegra Di2 11 speed and it was good for over 4,000 miles, my Focus Cayo 105 10 speed was only good for 1,500 miles!

Back