Chain stretch

Replacing chain on my Magnum at end-of-season tuneup next Friday, 2400 paved surface miles in 6 months by a 175 lb slowpoke - 13-15 mph - rider. My chain is in the same condition as Christob's and my cassette is also fine.

And I should probably get a new avatar photo, one showing my e-bike not my manual.

Not familiar with Magnum. Is it a mid drive?... These reports of chain life are great! I'm at 1,150mi. now with yamaha PW and 10 speed cassette w/ dual chain rings up front. I'm hoping to be able to double that before 1st chain replacement based on very minimal stretch to date

Magnum is hub drive.
I at end of 2nd year, about 5000 miles on first chain. Front hub drive, but I pedal unpowered 2/3 of the distance. I haven't even measured the chain since there are no symptoms. 8 speed chain, 5 w (sus 32) hydraulic fluid as lube, monthly.

Last edited:
Not familiar with Magnum. Is it a mid drive?... These reports of chain life are great! I'm at 1,150mi. now with yamaha PW and 10 speed cassette w/ dual chain rings up front. I'm hoping to be able to double that before 1st chain replacement based on very minimal stretch to date

Depending on how you ride I would say it will be less than the hub drive ebikes.

On a hub motor only rider's input is carried by the chain while on a mid drive it will be rider plus the motor which is significantly more.

Also he has an 8 speed chain which is significantly stronger than 10+ speed ones.

But I am seeing that Yamaha mid drives are having better chain life, it may be because of the larger front chain rings.

Btw chain life numbers are all over the place. Some people claim to have 1000-1500 miles on some posts then claim 2500-3000 on others.

Last edited:
Yep, it's just great to see what everyone is getting. More important to me are the mid drives but I'm sure the info is appreciated by all

Yep, it's just great to see what everyone is getting. More important to me are the mid drives but I'm sure the info is appreciated by all

This is a topic that can be obsessed about :) A while ago I opened this thread on chain lubes and chain life.

I really would appreciate if community can share their experiences ,chain life/lube intervals, with different lubes and chains they use. It would be nice to have some data in our hands.

I'll probably be crucified for this but I use maxima chain wax... It's made for motorcycle chains. Aerosol can, goes on wet, dries to a waxy texture. Doesn't fling off and penetrates really well

I'd consider that to be o.k. I'm hoping for 2,000mi. but we'll see . 10 speed mid drive , Yamaha PW.. 1,100mi. and very little stretch so far

Back