Chain lube

chunk

Region
USA
So, I use these on my motorcycle chains and was wondering if anyone had an opinion on using MC specific lubes like these the e-bike chain, or should I get a bicycle specific chain lube. They are both great on the motorbike chains, but I don't want to gunk up the derailleur with the wrong lube. Thanks.
IMG_20210512_114909260.jpg

Last edited:

So do your chains & sprockets wear out on the outside?
My bike chains get longer in 5000 miles, passing the park tool wear limit. This indicates to me they are wearing on the inside, between the pins & rollers. How is the wax going to get inside there? Same question about teflon particals? In about 15000 miles the tips will wear off the rear sprocket I use the most. the wax might help that.
I don't ride in sand or across rocky surfaces.
My preferred oil is listed in the thread above.

What I was asking is, if anyone uses MC chain lubes on their bicycle chains and what were their observations, good or bad. Not what lube is best. We all know where that will go.

Those lubes for for sealed-roller chains, or o-ring chains, x-ring chains. Your bicycle chain has open rollers, and they wear, and they need some oil in them.
I still clean with WD40 and a cotton rag, like we did with the MC chains, but then lube with Triflo, and wipe off any excess.
There are lots of options, and everybody has their preference. Triflo is the old standby, good and cheap, and still my favorite for the past forty years.

No advantages to Teflon lubricants and no reason to use something that is so un-green and that uses perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) in its production. DuPont and Chemours are still discharging PFOA into the public waterways despite their company flacks making claims to the contrary. If I buy a product that has Teflon then I am benefiting the companies producing and using these very toxic products and by products and waste products.

"Very small doses of PFOA and some other PFAS have been linked to kidney and testicular cancer, thyroid issues, high cholesterol, reproductive and developmental harms and reduced effectiveness of vaccines. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says these chemicals pollute the bodies of virtually all Americans, including newborn babies."

I have tried many products. I like Muc-Off. It is a dry wax based product that does not attract grit. I wash the chain first with suds in a spray bottle then rinse with a low pressure yard sprayer filled with water. Then put on the Muc-Off dry lube working it in, then wiping off the extra.

What I was asking is, if anyone uses MC chain lubes on their bicycle chains and what were their observations, good or bad. Not what lube is best. We all know where that will go.
Yes. I've tried several brands of bicycle specific chain lubes that claim to not attract grit or be self cleaning and wasn't impressed with any of them and they all were overpriced as far as I'm concerned so I went to using Dupont Chain Saver wax lubricant that I had sitting around from motorcycle use. It is advertised to be used for "chain driven vehicles" including motorcycles and bicycles. Doesn't sling off, chain is quiet and stays cleaner than bike specific lubricants that I have used, large can is cheap and available at WalMart. 11 speed chain on my Yamaha powered mid drive gravel bike without any measurable stretch at ~1500 miles. I use it on all of my bikes and a motorcycle. It only seems to build up a little on the derailleur jockey wheels which is easy to clean off. I haven't used the Maxima brand but if I had it on the shelf I would probably give it a try.

I've been using Squirt lube on my bikes for years; the drivetrains stay clean, my chains last over 1000 miles (all dirt riding), and all I have to do is re-apply when needed.
I'm using Squirt e-bike lube on my Rail.
The only downside is getting the chain completely free of petroleum based lube before applying Squirt for the first time.

Why use spray on products with known eye & liver damaging, and suspected carcinogenic chemical compounds like napthalene when there are cleaner, safer products out there like muc-off?

I typically have to clean and lube my chain every 100 miles or so. That might mean once every 4-5 days or even every other day on a long journey. Even at that frequency super-expensive fancy bicycle chain lube isn't that expensive, and a small bottle typically lasts me a 2-3 months -- so the per-mile cost is still just noise.

My advice is go to a local bike shop and buy what they use. You won't go very far wrong doing that.

I like the Dupont wax/teflon spray better than any bike specific lube that I have used - I have tried several that were highly rated and much prefer the Dupont. I'm not paranoid about imaginary health risks of using the spray. Also use it on my motorcycle - it comes in a small can too for travel, took one on a motorcycle trip to Alaska, even small can lasts for many applications.

I have tried many products. I like Muc-Off. It is a dry wax based product that does not attract grit. I wash the chain first with suds in a spray bottle then rinse with a low pressure yard sprayer filled with water. Then put on the Muc-Off dry lube working it in, then wiping off the extra.
I got a bottle the bread it wants to sit overnight to dry that does not work for me. I lube my bike at work then ride it home.

That would be a definite NO. Do not use motorcycle products on your bike. We see at the workshop regularly drivetrains ruined by them. It builds up to a sticky muck impossible to clean off, clogs pulleys and with time ruins test of the drive train too because it attracts dirt.

That would be a definite NO. Do not use motorcycle products on your bike. We see at the workshop regularly drivetrains ruined by them. It builds up to a sticky muck impossible to clean off, clogs pulleys and with time ruins test of the drive train too because it attracts dirt.
What brand(s)? I've been using Dupont Chain Saver (wax and Teflon based) for a few years/thousands of miles and haven't experienced any of the problems that you mention. It is inexpensive, cleaner and longer lasting than the several bike specific lubes I have tried. I've had some occasional and minor wax build up on derailleur jockey wheels that wipes off easily with a rag and not even that since I started applying it more sparingly than I used to. Now I don't apply it with a full bore spray, just dribble it on over a couple chain rotations. Never going back to bicycle specific products.

Back