Body Float Suspension Seat Post Thoughts

I just saw the cost, $415. I'm not that motivated and will settle for 2nd best.
I do admire the trailing-link suspension concept having owned a couple on my 1958 and 1968 BMW R60/2's and more recent experience with the PZL-104 Wilga light aircraft. Very interesting concept; when the tire hits a bump it goes up and you go down 1/2 as much, so it evens out in the end.

clearly we need a comparison review between thud buster, the Sun Tour device, and this one. I will buy the winner. As will so many others.
Charlie/Patrick, if you really believe in this Body Float you'll buy the TB, the ST, and send them to Court with one of your Body Floats for a shoot-out. If you have the better product you will be rewarded.

---Brian,
This is Charlie Patrick...and the shootout is being done with several reviewers right now. Everone is comparing us to the others....and we've got a stellar track record. We are game to go up against anyone, yes...even full frame suspension systems. Because we are an infinitely tunable, undamped and fully controllable system we can, and will, make any bike/body connection better, especially once you get into the opportunities with fine-tuning. Once the mass (the body) is stabilized, the bikes response (movement) can be controlled. As with every testimonial and review so far...we are humbly placed into a new category of both performance AND comfort. It's a shocking difference.

Here's our latest in GravelGrinderNews and the review will post in Cyclocross Magazine in very near future.
Check out (http://gravelgrindernews.com/cirrus-cycles-bodyfloat-seatpost-mid-term/) for his Mid-term and (http://gravelgrindernews.com/cirrus-cycles-bodyfloat-seatpost-introduction-and-first-impressions/) for his first impression.

If ya got questions...please ask them. We'd love to share what we are learning and experiencing here at Cirrus to make your rides better, faster, safer and more enjoyable.

Cheers,
CP

clearly we need a comparison review between thud buster, the Sun Tour device, and this one. I will buy the winner. As will so many others.
Charlie/Patrick, if you really believe in this Body Float you'll buy the TB, the ST, and send them to Court with one of your Body Floats for a shoot-out. If you have the better product you will be rewarded.
I will commit to doing the same as I don't see the comparison being all that difficult to perform. Same patch of ground....same bike...same camera focused on the same area as you see in the Body Float video....comparison over. $415 is only worth the commitment when a manufacturer sticks his neck out just as far as mine...or as in this comparative case, even less (in my humble opinion).

Battle of the suspension seatposts! Very interesting.
Well, I'm no expert, but I'm certainly happy to a suspension seatpost. It really does make a difference and gives a smoother bike ride.
I would imagine that all of them work well and it's probably a matter of personal preference or cost.
Certainly is fun to follow this debate.

Well, I'm impressed by the Body Float's design and might like to buy, but it's out of stock until July. Is that a real date?

Unfortunately, we are out of stock till July. Please add your name to the reservation list.
...with the obvious questions being...are there any units 'left' in that July shipment that aren't already reserved (I'm guessing that the components are shipped from overseas yet please advise)...and if we have (already) 'reserved' a unit before the close of business today...can we be assured that we will receive our 'reservation' in the first half of July?
Thanks.

...with the obvious questions being...are there any units 'left' in that July shipment that aren't already reserved (I'm guessing that the components are shipped from overseas yet please advise)...and if we have (already) 'reserved' a unit before the close of business today...can we be assured that we will receive our 'reservation' in the first half of July?
Thanks.

We have certain percentages of our production batches allocated for different purposes. We are receiving parts from various local, regional and global sources. We have a limited number of priority units that are available via the reservations list, and YES, there are still units available as of this week. When we finalize our packaged product (scheduled for July) we will then fulfill our allocation commitments.

...and regarding the battle of the posts; I'll be in Vancouver, BC this Saturday June 7 from 10-6 at the Stromer Booth for the MEC Bikefest North Shore. (http://events.mec.ca/node/2142).

We'll have demos on hand to try out...bring any bike, any rider and any post to compare it to... and give it a shot. E-bike or not, you're choice.

...wow...the "bring any rider" is pretty confidence inspiring...are you trying to say that your product (by design) outshines all the others in the 'big boy' class as well? (260 lbs. and up).
Maybe I got on the list for a reason...

Bring it on. At 260 you're at the 'upper end' of our current model as posted on our tuning chart. That said, I've floated 300lbs with great success. I've also got a 270lbs road rider on a O/B spring and he's happy as can be. (FYI: shooting for a future model to levitate at 400lbs...stay tuned!!). See you Saturday?

I'd love to be in Vancouver talking about this new product especially. In my opinion, you are very astute in attempting to capture this category due to worn backpacks and any other manner of even unmanned 'cartage' that a bike seat post is tasked of. What I'm wondering is this....if I'm over 260 now (ahem, let's just say 'with a backpack)...would the new product likely be designed to work just as well (or better) at say, 300 or a bit less? Thanks for the heads up.

It won't feel "better" per se...it will feel how you want it to. As Einstein pops into my head, it's all relative. BodyFloat feels the same for a 50 lb kid as it does for 250 lb kid. Our principle of isolating the mass is: control the inertia of BOTH the rider and bike to produce any feel you want. Any higher weight-range products would offer a wider range of spring rates and possibly some addition travel for wider tuning capacity. Again, a 295 local resident got on and loved it on his 29er. It smoothed the ride and isolated him not only from the standard vibrations and bumps he was searching to alleviate... but also allowed him to pedal without his weight causing the pneumatic system, ie: his tires, to bounce him around. He could maintain lower tire pressure without bounce, or go higher pressure for more speed and still be very comfortable while staying connected to the bike and trail. The more mass you have the more control you probably desire. Again...isolate main mass, you, from the secondary mass, the bike, and tune for the terrain and riding style (in this case: a big rider, smooth pedaler on 29er doing single track and commuting). Sorry for the rambling tangent but hope it was helpful...it's a sunny Sunday afternoon and I'm working in front of the evil screen...you've inspired me for a ride on the Stromer. Cheers. And the short answer is YES.

That's what I was after and as good a reason as any for me to wait.
One thing to keep in mind is that, most often, it is ideal to minimize both spring rate AND travel down to as little as necessary, and possible, to support your weight and riding style on that certain bike. Eliminate extra travel that isn't needed...it just turns into wasted energy. That's why heavier riders usually are happiest with less available travel; minimize the available movement of the 'mass' to allow for the proper connection and inertial control. (now we're talking road/E-bike applications here...not mtn bikes with fully damped suspension systems which is an entirely different, yet just as effective, thread to talk about).

Final Thoughts..... Part 1

Well I've had the BodyFloat now for about 6 weeks, and in that time I've put on about 1500km. I'll try and break-down my thoughts over the next 5 days (hey, there are a lot of thoughts here!)

I was fortunate enough to meet up with Charlie Heggem at my local Stromer shop Swissborn. He gave me the full rundown on the positives and adjustability of his BodyFloat device. The BodyFloat is a suspension seat post that utilizes two springs, fully adjustable, to keep the seat level as you ride. Depending on your riding style or terrain that you are riding on it has the ability to be adjusted for that. Much unlike the Specialized CGR formerly the Cobl Gobbler which uses carbon fiber and it's "Zerts" to absorb the bumps on the road the BodyFloat has the advantage of alot more travel and not the diminished performance of a bent piece of carbon taking all of the hits.

I also on this multi month adventure had a chance to try a Cane Creek Thudbuster (LT) which was nice but gave me a strange up and down sensation as I rode it... almost like those kid motorcycles at the fair that just go round and round and up and down... anyway I did like it but I think the damage had already been done because I had put so much time on the BodyFloat.

I have attached the first video below and in it Charlie begins to explain to me what he'll be adjusting and changing on my bike with the fitting session we are doing. I'd also like to add that everyone that it was quite hilarious how I was riding with the nose of the seat so high and way back... "Like a Boss" I tried to say, but that was just met with more ridicule. Jamie and Charlie you'll be happy to hear I know just roll with a plain old flat saddle, so get off my back!!:D

I have lots more to add and to share with you guys, so stay tuned! I'll upload another video and breakdown tomorrow.

Final Thoughts....Part 2!

Sorry I couldn't post yesterday as promised... Youtube was being a jerk! However in this next video Charlie walks me through the (very thorough) initial set up process. The set up card he's referring to in the beginning of the video is a version of what you see here:

BF_CARD_BACK.jpg

There's a place he can record all my information, weight riding style etc. Over the last 6 weeks or so I've tried all sorts of settings. Charlie sent me home with an orange spring and a purple spring. I tried both to stiffen the ride and to soften it. Oddly enough I still preferred the two black springs as was set by Charlie at Swissborn! I have also, over the last month or so, placed the BodyFloat on my Specialized Secteur and my Trek hard-tail mountain bike. I had to adjust for both bikes (well I wanted to, I guess I didn't HAVE to do anything!) I stiffened it up for my road bike and made it quite squishy for my mountain bike. Both were great, and it pointed again to the versatility of the BodyFloat in different applications.

In this video you'll hear everyone making fun of my seat tilt (admittedly it was a bit "extreme") you'll all be happy to hear I now run my seat flat. So get off my back!

Since I was late today I'll hook up my first ride impression video later today. Cheers!

Great Stuff, James...!
Riding 50 miles everyday, I am sure this addition will make a great difference to your ride.

Back