Bike lock for a city that's not very bike friendly

Joecreed

Hey everyone, Merry Christmas! I recently purchased a Benno RemiDemi bike and am now in search for a lock. I live in a smaller town and it's not very bike friendly. Once in awhile you'll see a bike rack or something similar somewhere, but for the most part when I go to the grocery store, farmer's market, etc., I'm going to have to be more creative to lock it up. Any suggestions on how to lock it up at these places, and which locks to use? Thanks so much!

Nice bike btw!
Thanks. Here's a pic...
I started off wanting to buy a RadRunner, and thanks to this site and other research ended up spending much more than I planned and went for the Remi. Really happy I did now that I have it though. Of course we have a few inches of snow on the ground right now, so probably going to wait until spring to start riding regularly, but the first 16 miles have been a blast.

1608951430124.png

My usual recommendation is a chain lock AND a U-lock, and expect to spend 8-10% of the replacement value of your bike. Two locks because opportunistic thieves usually carry tools to break one or the other, but not both. You don't have to be the most secure bike out there, just more secure than something else the thief could go after. You can get U-locks with more reach in the U part.

On the chain, go for 85cm. That's four neat wraps around the seatpost and big enough to get creative with locking situations (remember to do a couple extra wraps if there's risk of someone lifting the bike off a sign). I'm more partial to ABUS ever since kryptonite failed to honor their warranty on locks that were pickable with a chewed ball point pen.

Whatever you do get, check that there aren't easy lock defeat videos out there for that model.

Cool bike! A good quality chain lock and a U lock may seem overkill but its the best method. And even though you can take it in a building still lock it! I'm in a lower theft area and use a Pedego Foldylock and a Hiplok chain lock. I wear the Hiplok around my waist and have a holder for the Foldy.

am now in search for a lock. I live in a smaller town and it's not very bike friendly. Once in awhile you'll see a bike rack or something similar somewhere, but for the most part when I go to the grocery store, farmer's market, etc., I'm going to have to be more creative to lock it up.
U locks only work on bike racks. I lock to power poles, or gas meters, or live electrical conduits, with a six foot stainless steel sling and a master grade 11 lock. https://www.mcmaster.com/8942T15
It can be cut with a bolt cutter, but only once. then the thief buys a new $280 bolt cutter. Stainless steel is hard. If I lived in a bigger town with more bike thieves, I'd use an abus granite lock.
If seriously in a high theft zone, pawag chain from westech rigging is supposed to be harder to cut. Heavier too. Logging Supplies from Westech Rigging Supply

Agree on the cool factor of your bike. It does look good.

Starting on the premise that if someone wants it bad enough, it's gone. FYI, I always get nervous whenever people pay just a little too much attention or keep complimenting.

Anyways, a quality chain lock and alarm are what I use, and I don't leave it unattended very long.

I can’t afford to buy my bike twice. I use a Kryptonite Evolution Series 4 chain lock and a U lock when I’m doing some shopping.

These days I never lock my bike because there is nowhere to go. If I were to need to lock, I have the Kryptonite Ulock with the 2 Kryptonite cables-one for the seat post and one to go around the front wheel. That combined with my loud ass alarm would at least make it a mini challenge to heist...

Whats interesting is the lock thread gets started on a regular basis by new ebike riders, and there's nothing wrong with it! Thieves are determined to steal and we should be determined to secure our bikes. As Court has learned if a thief really wants it, the'll get it. But he had it secured with what he thought was enough, shared his findings with us and taught us how to be better at securing our bikes. I have a heavy duty chain lock for home use because its a heavy pig to haul around, and use slightly lighter locks when out and about. But I may look into a screaming alarm or upgrade my folding lock to a ABUS with the built in alarm. Also may look into a GPS tracker as well. Stinks we have to go thru all these security measures to enjoy our bikes.

My alarm went off today at the golf course while I was playing. I didn't hear it as I was probably on the other side of the course. The outside service guys heard it. I asked if they bumped into it or what and they said they didn't. Oh, well,glad to know it works. I'm sure a lot of bikes get jacked when you think you are in a safe spot...

If they want it bad enough they will get it. Insurance is a good back up to ANY good luck that fits your style. I also found a bunch of small business will let you roll it inside while shopping/etc if they have some spare room. always worth asking if it seems possible.

@Joecreed that's a beautiful ride, and worth more than some of the cars in my neighborhood. As @Code54 suggested: insurance, and best secured inside a trusted space (esp at night). Then a big U lock w cable extenders for seat, front/rear wheel. The headset diamond is not the section of frame that a thief would want to cut, whereas, steel rear rack or lower support bar could be re-welded and painted. I'd also want an alarm (or two) that sends the message to everyone in earshot that something is amiss. I've got the Boomerang alarm, and truthfully, it's not as loud as the $15 Amazon one lashed under the seat, but it has the advantage of sending me a text alert and email within about 15 seconds of molestation. Mainly, you'd want to present a whole barrage of obvious disincentives to any smitten opportunist that might be looking at your bike as their next project.

I get the point of the OP. I bought a spendy fold up lock thing with my bike but failed to realize that in an area lacking bike racks, it doesn't always work. Since this is a smaller town, and fairly remote, I have resorted to carrying my not expensive, not famous name brand, longer cable lock along. I do not know if any locked up bikes have ever been stolen here. I do know that unlocked bikes have been taken from yards. I would just carry a long cable lock of some kind. That way, trees, light posts, etc. can easily be used.

I have a 14 inch folding bike being delivered soon. Not even gonna mess with locking it in the parkade, because I've lived in a building where the thieves cute a hole in the door just like in that video (I live in Vancouver area as well). The bike will live inside the apartment.

As for on the go...the other day I drove to the mall where I do most of my shopping, and sure enough there was a portable angle grinder sitting next to the garbage can in their parkade. Don't know what happened there, but I can guess. I'll need to invest in multiple levels of security for my new bike I think.

On a related note, I have a fun story relayed to me by a fellow Newfoundlander who kept getting his truck stereo stolen over and over again. Eventually he welded a bunch of fish hooks under the dash behind the stereo. One night he hears a scream from outside and catches the thief "red-handed" so to speak. The arresting officer gave him the stink eye for setting a booby trap like that, but he let it slide lol.

Back