Bike arrived with a broken derailleur hanger and bent fork, Ride1up says tough luck. Thoughts?

Honestly I have never made a purchase where resale value was a consideration.
I've always purchased what I wanted, was in my budget and fit my needs for the moment.
I guess if two things being equal and resale value was the only difference it would play a part... But that's yet to happen and I'm an old fart.

I never thought any electric bike had a good resale value due to the unknown condition of the battery. It is easy to ruin one from neglect. The advantage of a kit bike is that the battery is cheaper to replace from multiple sources.

I agree with @john peck that does not look like ship damage it looks like poor quality control.
Right there on their website, "Best Value Electric Bikes" = poor quality control

"Best Value" buyers really need to suck it up and expect that they get what they paid for.

Vice and sledgehammer fixes a lot of problems :D

First off.. Most building kits are not thinking about resale value or paying anyone to install them for that matter... Kinda defeats the purpose of a DIY Kit.
And depending on components of the build, you can definitely end up with a higher quality bike as you can see from the initial reason for your post.
Saving money is one of the most frequent reasons cited for buying a kit bike. So I guess you agree it's a dumb, false reason, if you don't have a suitable bike handy (and possibly even if you do). There are other reasons to go the kit route, but affordability isn't really one of them.

A good paint job and upgraded parts add value and take time so it seems you donated your time and lucky if you broke even on cost if that on the sale of the XP
This is rarely the case. User modifications or changes of parts rarely adds much value, and even if they do, you'll make far more money back if you sell them separately - something like a nice set of wheels or high end suspension seat post. Typical cost recovery on accessories/mods is 0-25%.

Man I wouldn't want to settle for that kind of misalignment. You are going to be looking down and seeing that every mile you ride that bike. I'd let them know they can replace the fork or take the bike back. Thats a manufacturing defect no matter how bad you want to spin it. And that off-center eyelet means you can kiss goodbye the installation of fenders or a light that uses it, so there's your functional compromise. The fork roots also look out of whack. Not symmetrical.

I agree with @john peck that does not look like ship damage it looks like poor quality control.

I have to agree with this, the fork you have received has a significant manufacturing defect.

Yes the fork itself is probably fine, it is the fender hole which is drilled off center but still it is a defect that is not acceptable.

They must exchange it with a non-defective one.

I've always purchased what I wanted, was in my budget and fit my needs for the moment.
I guess if two things being equal and resale value was the only difference it would play a part... But that's yet to happen and I'm an old fart.
That’s certainly part of my thought process in some purchases. I just sold a low mileage Miata (with a rare power convertible hard top/manual 6 spd/LSD) that I specifically bought with future resale value was a major consideration. And I’m very glad I did.😎👍

Yup, buying a bike or any vehicle and not using it because of being sensitive about resale value is irrational.

If making money is the intention then instead of buying a vehicle, investing that money is what a smart person would do.

Last edited:
Saving money is one of the most frequent reasons cited for buying a kit bike. So I guess you agree it's a dumb, false reason, if you don't have a suitable bike handy (and possibly even if you do). There are other reasons to go the kit route, but affordability isn't really one of them.
I never said that it was.. But it all depends on what you are comparing it to.
If compared to a $1100 bike... Probably not.
Compared to a $5000 bike, I think you'd be a head of the game
This is rarely the case. User modifications or changes of parts rarely adds much value, and even if they do, you'll make far more money back if you sell them separately - something like a nice set of wheels or high end suspension seat post. Typical cost recovery on accessories/mods is 0-25%.
So like I said, resale value is arbitrary. And like I sold a 10 year old cd changer above cost, you can sell a kit bike as well as an accessorized bike for what ever you can get for it.
He sold the XP for more than he paid... But it had accessories... So what's your point?

That’s certainly part of my thought process in some purchases. I just sold a low mileage Miata (with a rare power convertible hard top/manual 6 spd/LSD) that I specifically bought with future resale value was a major consideration. And I’m very glad I did.😎👍
I would have bought that car!
You have a pic?
I have a 50th Anniversary Convertible Corvette... Resale value?
Who cares... I'll run that bitch into the ground before I worry about milage or possible future value. That said, it's never seen rain, but I'm anal like that 😝

I would have bought that car!
You have a pic?
I have a 50th Anniversary Convertible Corvette... Resale value?
Who cares... I'll run that bitch into the ground before I worry about milage or possible future value. That said, it's never seen rain, but I'm anal like that 😝
I got three years of great drives out of that little Miata. Had lots of fun. Had an ‘05 Corvette convertible too.
Sorry, I never believe the “it’s never seen rain” story (unless it’s in a museum) and I never run anything into the ground. Well, there was the Yamaha 400 Enduro I beat pretty hard...
1620431444337.jpeg

3F114640-21EA-4E55-BC29-03DD81D3CEB2.jpeg
49684A18-263D-4EC4-B190-940D8C8A28F8.jpeg

Last edited:
The Miata is sweet... Why did you sell it?

I had a '99 convertible that was a similar blue... Maybe a tad darker.
Next time I put the' 03 on a lift I'll take a pic of the undercarriage.. Maybe some splashes but no rain, I swears 😇
I just hate driving it with the top up so I see no reason to take it out in bad weather.
I haven't photographed it in years so I'll have to access the archives

The Miata is sweet... Why did you sell it?

I had a '99 convertible that was a similar blue... Maybe a tad darker.
Next time I put the' 03 on a lift I'll take a pic of the undercarriage.. Maybe some splashes but no rain, I swears 😇
I just hate driving it with the top up so I see no reason to take it out in bad weather.
I haven't photographed it in years so I'll have to access the archives
Its a long story but suffice to say we are downsizing in preparation to move, it’s tough on my shoulder shifting that much, and it’s just too damn small for my back. I admit, I miss it already.

Its a long story but suffice to say we are downsizing in preparation to move, it’s tough on my shoulder shifting that much, and it’s just too damn small for my back. I admit, I miss it already.
Vette Print 3j.JPG
PA310494.JPG
P6270011.JPG
15736101.jpg

I hear you. The 50th is an automatic and I'm still glad I made that decision though I never planned on keeping it this long.
When purchased I still had the '99 which was a 6sp and a handful of previous cars were manual as well. With NE traffic being what it is, an automatic can make sense even in a sports car.
Though the red is pretty, I always liked the blue better. For a few years I put decals on it for a few days on the 4th of July and my younger nieces and nephews loved it...I guess the kid in me did too.
Last pic has it all accessorized with a Lingenfelter supercharger, full exhaust, honed intake and some nice low profile wheels.
I didn't get any extra for it at sale... But then again I sold it to my nephew who had done all the work.

So as far as the Miata, what would you have done leaving resale value out of the equation?

Last edited:
So as far as the Miata, what would you have done leaving resale value out of the equation?
Very nice. As for the Miata, I probably would’ve bought a bit more of a cheaper beater as my original intention was to do a bit of auto cross but I just couldn’t bring myself to beat the crap out of that little ‘09.

Very nice. As for the Miata, I probably would’ve bought a bit more of a cheaper beater as my original intention was to do a bit of auto cross but I just couldn’t bring myself to beat the crap out of that little ‘09.
I agree... That car is sweet and needs to be treated like a lady.
But every once and a while, even a lady likes to show her wild side and what she's capable of.

Back in the good old days before I gave up autox. I paid $2200 for the 90 in 2000. I had to swap out the short nose crank in 2005. AC was still working when rust took out most of the body in 2015. Sold to a Scrapper. Wished I had saved the JR catback and hardtop clips for my other miata.

Last edited:
Hello all again,

So back at the bike shop today. Ride1up told me to mount the wheel in a certain way so the wheel was straight in the fork, but then it was off center compared to the frame. So the whole bike leaned to the right. Anyway, this is what they said is the issue. What are your thoughts on the severity of this misalignment?
I am getting wheel wobble above 15mph and disc brake judder.

Sent these to Ride1up but it’s the weekend so will hear next week.
1DB0C0BC-9A87-40D2-8BE1-54CF21E91BA7.jpeg

034AC037-BDD4-4ABB-BBA5-71F4209B03B8.jpeg

Back