Big Guy 6.3, 360 lb, 60 yr. In need of true advice

So, considering the options, what's wrong with riding a Cargo bike? Smaller tires on some of them make for some pretty sporty performance, the orange RAD even LOOKS sporty!

https://www.radpowerbikes.com/products/radwagon-electric-cargo-bike

Looks like RAD even has them in stock.....
And an additional factor to the cargo bikes is the resale is usually pretty easy. If it helps shed some weight in a year or two and you are ready to "upgrade" so to speak, there is always a young family looking for one to get the kids around.

It's going to take a couple of years for the supply chain to catch up fully, so I don't see the demand disappearing anytime soon.

But I can understand if the kids are "Athletes" they may not be cool with Grandpa accompanying them on his old cargo bike! lol

And an additional factor to the cargo bikes is the resale is usually pretty easy. If it helps shed some weight in a year or two and you are ready to "upgrade" so to speak, there is always a young family looking for one to get the kids around.

It's going to take a couple of years for the supply chain to catch up fully, so I don't see the demand disappearing anytime soon.

But I can understand if the kids are "Athletes" they may not be cool with Grandpa accompanying them on his old cargo bike! lol
Same story would apply if the bike ends up in some dark corner unused. Rad resale values, especially late model bikes that are on back order, will bring nearly what they sell for new....

A Rad Rover is very inexpensive, is built like a tank, has the throttle but still acts like a bike, and I suspect would let you ride down to under 300 pounds, whereupon you put it on Craigslist and go buy the Trek that most fits what you have since decided is your riding style.

I see these things all over the place on the bike paths around Albany and Saratoga County, NY, and the owners I have talked to love them. Not exactly a technical marvel, but you need to get going and this might be just the way to do it.

Whatever it is, you have to like it enough to keep riding it - and wanting to ride it, all the time - till it does it’s job.

Yes I am overweight. Twenty years of 24/7 rotating shift desk work is the untold story of the down side of an Info. Tech. career.
Agreed, my grands are in outstanding shape, honor roll in school and sports keeps them focused and away for the pitfalls of youth.
That is my mandate to take them out, camping, fishing and discovering. Don't get me wrong, my grands live right, eat healthy, honest and love the Lord.
The trouble is nowadays other people's kids live in their phones and the game Call of Duty. The only out doors playing kids do these days are in organized sports. With that, some excell in whatever sport they play. My grands excel in track.

I'll look into the Maxfoot products. Thanks for your recommendation.
Z, my top weight was 409#, but I got down to 337 when I decided to order an ebike. Given an incentive,
I lost another 40 pds. waiting 3 mo. for it to ship, no sugar, few carbs, reasonable yet disciplined exercise.
360 exceeds the max load on most bikes, but you can do it. The big issue will be tires & spokes. You will
need tires 70 psi or more with thick sidewalls, not overinflated. & likely plenty of spare spokes. I eventually
got down to 220 but am back to 260 from added muscle mass. Realistically you will need to be very
committed to shedding pounds. The effort is more than worth it. What Dave said of the rad rover is a
likely option, though fat tires are low pressure they still may not bottom out on bumps.

Last edited:
A Rad Rover is very inexpensive, is built like a tank, has the throttle but still acts like a bike, and I suspect would let you ride down to under 300 pounds, whereupon you put it on Craigslist and go buy the Trek that most fits what you have since decided is your riding style.

I see these things all over the place on the bike paths around Albany and Saratoga County, NY, and the owners I have talked to love them. Not exactly a technical marvel, but you need to get going and this might be just the way to do it.

Whatever it is, you have to like it enough to keep riding it - and wanting to ride it, all the time - till it does it’s job.
Exactly!

Well, I took the wife by the Trek Store way across town. She fell in love with the teal-colored Lowstep Verve+. My tunnel vision was locked on the Nautical Blue 7s, it just look good to me! This store had The Only XL Nautical Blue 7s in the state! I thoughts she would have an issue with the price for both. But she was okay with it once she took a spin. Then the sales guy showed me the Rage Red 8s! that is a one beautiful bike. But just tilted out of our price range. Longe Story Short, we jumped on it because life is too short to obsess over things when you have fewer days ahead of you than behind.
I'll post any issues in this forum. I got some small distance goals I could not do with my Trek FX. If the frame, forks, spokes break, I'll address and roll on. If it all becomes a disaster, I'll shop for a Rad Rover and post my experience here for other "Big Guys."

Thanks all

if i was that heavy i would only look into cargo bikes, i would try to find the most powerful middrive Cargo bike around,if that failed i would look for the most powerful hubmotor cargo bike i could find.

Well, I took the wife by the Trek Store way across town. She fell in love with the teal-colored Lowstep Verve+. My tunnel vision was locked on the Nautical Blue 7s, it just look good to me! This store had The Only XL Nautical Blue 7s in the state! I thoughts she would have an issue with the price for both. But she was okay with it once she took a spin. Then the sales guy showed me the Rage Red 8s! that is a one beautiful bike. But just tilted out of our price range. Longe Story Short, we jumped on it because life is too short to obsess over things when you have fewer days ahead of you than behind.
I'll post any issues in this forum. I got some small distance goals I could not do with my Trek FX. If the frame, forks, spokes break, I'll address and roll on. If it all becomes a disaster, I'll shop for a Rad Rover and post my experience here for other "Big Guys."

Thanks all
Congratulations! I hope you love yours as much as we love ours!
AC0D60D1-688B-41D0-A58D-17A853FE5B56.jpeg

We have two 8s bikes, one red one blue. They're great bikes. I doubt very much that your weight poses a risk to the frame. The wheels and tires are the weaker points. Watch for broken spokes, and make sure you keep the tires at maximum inflation pressure - you have a higher than normal risk of snakebite punctures.

Geesh, some real Trek haters here. Throttle? What's wrong with starting by pedal? Folks have done that for, what, 120 years or so?
I think you read too much into the comments. You seem to miss the point regarding throttles. Not everyone is fully able to always pedal away. My disabilities could restrict my fun riding with fellas much younger and fully able. I've supported hundreds of aging customers and we've been able to have greatly enhanced lives thanks to eBikes.

Understood; I like having both options, so when chilling on the beach with just a twist, I could just cruise. I would end up taking the easy way out far too often. The cargo bike style appears to be limited in the paths available. We have some excellent twisty two-person trails in the woods. Cargo bike would not work for me. But, I don't disregard the idea.

Congrats on your new e-bikes! I bought a 7s last June and have put a bit over 2000 miles on it so far. to your question about thorn/flat prevention I have been through the full gamut of different approaches and ended up buying some new tires (Schwalbe Super Moto-X, plus thorn resistant inner tubes and slime. This combination has worked the best for me. I tried Tannus armor and still got flats (serious issue with goat head thorns here in Arizona). I think the heavier you are the less effective the Tannus Armor is since your weight compresses the foam insert more and reduces the thickness of the foam barrier. I weigh ~260lbs and after my first flat with the Tannus, the guy in the bike shop showed me that the insert had compressed to just a few mm thick. Tried tire liners, thorn resistant inner tunes in the Schwalbe G-One tires that came with the bike and still had flats. So consider replacing the G-One tires with Schwalbe Super Moto-X or Marathon tires, you'll have less issue with flats.

I think you read too much into the comments. You seem to miss the point regarding throttles. Not everyone is fully able to always pedal away. My disabilities could restrict my fun riding with fellas much younger and fully able. I've supported hundreds of aging customers and we've been able to have greatly enhanced lives thanks to eBikes.
I'm of a certain age, so to speak, with significant medical issues, and don't need a throttle. So don't give me the age and medical disability stuff. If you need a throttle, buy a motorcycle or proper motor scooter. Pedal assist is for bicycle riders. I don't need to work hard if I don't want to, but just sitting on my butt not using my legs is not good for me or anyone else.

I'm of a certain age, so to speak, with significant medical issues, and don't need a throttle. So don't give me the age and medical disability stuff. If you need a throttle, buy a motorcycle or proper motor scooter. Pedal assist is for bicycle riders. I don't need to work hard if I don't want to, but just sitting on my butt not using my legs is not good for me or anyone else.
It all depends on what you’re into it for. If it’s exercise, who needs or wants a throttle unless you can’t take off from a dead stop with your pedals. If it’s just to get out for fun and peddling is hard for you, a throttle makes more sense.

GL finding an Allant anytime soon. I’ve had an Allant 7s on order since January as a guest bike. LBS told me today time frame has rolled back to Nov from Jan.

Sounds pretty condescending from where I'm sitting. Why can't it just be left as different strokes? ;) Pretty sure they make them both ways for good reason. Because you are in one camp does not mean the other camp is wrong.

Re: "If you need a throttle, buy a motorcycle or proper motor scooter." I'd say if you don't need a throttle, leave your battery at home....

Well bless him. My LBS’s latest advisement is Nov…i even considered a Como 5…but will wait for Bosch

Well bless him. My LBS’s latest advisement is Nov…i even considered a Como 5…but will wait for Bosch
Yep, I got my 7s a couple of days ago. Had to drive 45 min. To get the last nautical blue 7s in the area. Now it’s been raining for two days. Got the wife a Teal Verve+ At the same time. Then found a matching Teal helmet on Amazon. So, style wise she’s happy. We can’t wait for the sky’s to clear. Ride to the cafe an have some coffee and binette pastry’s. My grandson wants me to pick up collapsable fish poles for our adventures. We took a quick spin between rain down pours, it was outstanding!
Cause a new worry as there were a few puddle splashes. Water + Electronic = Bad Things, should there be a concern?

Back