Big Guy 6.3, 360 lb, 60 yr. In need of true advice

Cause a new worry as there were a few puddle splashes. Water + Electronic = Bad Things, should there be a concern?
Not really a cause for concern. Bosch motors are conservatively rated IP54, which is splash resistant, but not immersion resistant. Don't intentionally ride it through water deep enough to hit the bearings, and don't spray pressurized water at the bearings and seals either (light hose rinse is just fine). Rain is generally fine as long as you dry it out properly when you get home. Many folks ride them hard in wet conditions with no detriment, but water intrusion is possible in some cases. It's been discussed on here before, and there are a few videos and links around showing what can happen if water does get in from heavy exposure or bearing/seal wear.

Spoiler: it won't electrocute you, it will just rust your bearings and boards faster and shorten the motor life.

Ride and be happy! Enjoy the bike! :) :cool:

Yep, I got my 7s a couple of days ago. Had to drive 45 min. To get the last nautical blue 7s in the area. Now it’s been raining for two days. Got the wife a Teal Verve+ At the same time. Then found a matching Teal helmet on Amazon. So, style wise she’s happy. We can’t wait for the sky’s to clear. Ride to the cafe an have some coffee and binette pastry’s. My grandson wants me to pick up collapsable fish poles for our adventures. We took a quick spin between rain down pours, it was outstanding!
Cause a new worry as there were a few puddle splashes. Water + Electronic = Bad Things, should there be a concern?
I’ve ridden through plenty of small puddles with no ill effect. Hey, we need to see pictures of your bikes at some point.👍

20% over their weight rating is really stretching it in my opinion. I doubt if the engineer worries about an simple static load that much over, but when you are 20% over and you hit a big pothole or jump a curb, you now are putting an extreme overloading on the frame and spokes! I'd suggest you look at a cargo bike. Many of them have a 400 pound load rating.
That is sensible.

Not the greatest picture, its pouring... I'm not a Troll
Certainly never thought you were a troll and you could certainly wait till it’s a nicer day. Folks use this site as a “Show and Tell” venue all the time!

Sounds pretty condescending from where I'm sitting. Why can't it just be left as different strokes? ;) Pretty sure they make them both ways for good reason. Because you are in one camp does not mean the other camp is wrong.

Re: "If you need a throttle, buy a motorcycle or proper motor scooter." I'd say if you don't need a throttle, leave your battery at home....
Agreed.

I use my throttle when I'm geared up too high at a stop or I need to get moving faster than pedaling will allow. I don't think I've ever used it to just cruise along without pedaling but if others do, that's up to them.

Hub drive vs mid drive is what you should really be concerned about (just kidding).

Agreed.

I use my throttle when I'm geared up too high at a stop or I need to get moving faster than pedaling will allow. I don't think I've ever used it to just cruise along without pedaling but if others do, that's up to them.

Hub drive vs mid drive is what you should really be concerned about (just kidding).
Peddle assist will help you start too. You just need to push down a bit. Guess that's too hard for some folks? As is getting out of your top gear before you stop? I must be old school.

Reactions: Law
Peddle assist will help you start too. You just need to push down a bit. Guess that's too hard for some folks? As is getting out of your top gear before you stop? I must be old school.
Closed minded more like it...

Depending on how your ebike controller is set up, it may not ramp up immediately. And if you are in a high gear... or on an incline, you may not be able to push down on the pedal enough to get the motor going.

I'm not too old (relatively) and no physical disabilities (yet) but I appreciate being able to use the throttle for a faster start or if I don't quite have the pedals turned to the optimum position to crank them.

I'm sure these same conversations were had with non-power windows, brakes, automatic transmission vs manual, rotary phones vs pushbutton... etc etc... I think of it as progress.

Depending on how your ebike controller is set up, it may not ramp up immediately. And if you are in a high gear... or on an incline, you may not be able to push down on the pedal enough to get the motor going.

I'm not too old (relatively) and no physical disabilities (yet) but I appreciate being able to use the throttle for a faster start or if I don't quite have the pedals turned to the optimum position to crank them.

I'm sure these same conversations were had with non-power windows, brakes, automatic transmission vs manual, rotary phones vs pushbutton... etc etc... I think of it as progress.
Some day, I’m sure a throttle could be a great thing to have. Just don’t need or want one yet.

Sounds pretty condescending from where I'm sitting. Why can't it just be left as different strokes? ;) Pretty sure they make them both ways for good reason. Because you are in one camp does not mean the other camp is wrong.

Re: "If you need a throttle, buy a motorcycle or proper motor scooter." I'd say if you don't need a throttle, leave your battery at home....
Some of these replies are pretty snippy, I suggest rereading "critical posts'( Thankfully most are encouraging).

For the life of Me, I cannot understand why some Folks like to down others,its all good, we are above ground with the promise of another day. That "scolded Child" used to be Me, now it doesn't bother Me and I will try to My dying breath to protect the "Underdog".

Starting, using, or encouraging anything to do with "us vs them" will get me started.....

Yes I am overweight. Twenty years of 24/7 rotating shift desk work is the untold story of the down side of an Info. Tech. career.
Agreed, my grands are in outstanding shape, honor roll in school and sports keeps them focused and away for the pitfalls of youth.
That is my mandate to take them out, camping, fishing and discovering. Don't get me wrong, my grands live right, eat healthy, honest and love the Lord.
The trouble is nowadays other people's kids live in their phones and the game Call of Duty. The only out doors playing kids do these days are in organized sports. With that, some excell in whatever sport they play. My grands excel in track.

I'll look into the Maxfoot products. Thanks for your recommendation.
Another option for your grandchildren for activities unrelated to phones and electronics is Scouts. I am a scout volunteer and one great thing is having young people appreciate nature and develop outdoor and life skills. All are welcome. As for you, given your knee issues I would favor a hub motor with a throttle. A hub motor will put less strain on your knee. You can adjust the PAS as you like, even turn it off. You do not have to use the throttle but as noted in an earlier comment, it makes it easier to get going from a stop, especially at stop signs and traffic lights.

Thanks. Actually we have a very active troop at our church. But I don't know if they would be interested. Plus they have limited free time.

Yep, I got my 7s a couple of days ago. Had to drive 45 min. To get the last nautical blue 7s in the area. Now it’s been raining for two days. Got the wife a Teal Verve+ At the same time. Then found a matching Teal helmet on Amazon. So, style wise she’s happy. We can’t wait for the sky’s to clear. Ride to the cafe an have some coffee and binette pastry’s. My grandson wants me to pick up collapsable fish poles for our adventures. We took a quick spin between rain down pours, it was outstanding!
Zipur; I read through this post last night. I am also currently 360 and 6'2" and a left leg amputee. My Trek dealer was unconcerned about my weight. He thinks the spokes are the weak point.
Anyway, please let us know how riding goes on your new 7.
I have found a pair of 8s near me. Both are red, one regular, one stagger. One may be mine soon.
Happy fishing with the grand kids.

Noteworthy maybe, is that Biktrix bikes rates some of their bikes (geared hub and mid drive) at 380lbs. I mention this as I don't see anything they're doing differently, that might allow them to rate their bikes with 100lbs more capacity than everyone else has.

Zipur; I read through this post last night. I am also currently 360 and 6'2" and a left leg amputee. My Trek dealer was unconcerned about my weight. He thinks the spokes are the weak point.
Anyway, please let us know how riding goes on your new 7.
I have found a pair of 8s near me. Both are red, one regular, one stagger. One may be mine soon.
Happy fishing with the grand kids.
Will do! Between storms, I got only two rides in for about ten miles with no issues...yet. Well other than a sore butt and spaghetti legs when I stop. The tires on the 7s are wide & beefy, the 32 spokes appear strong & secure so far. Not worried about the forks or frame. This bike is a Beast!
I had a my eye on a Red 8s as well, beautiful bike. I kinda wish I would have gotten a red 8!
The pedal assist feature is a game-changer. Really Amazing to use when the ride gets difficult.
I only kick it in on inclines and really only need ECO mode which has been a surprise.
I’ve locked in front forks as it makes riding more difficult. My rides are on paved city park paths so not a lot of banging & bouncing around.

I know there are lots if us 300+ folks out here. And as notes previously the bike is rated at 300 lbs max. However, I feel the Alliant 7s can more than handle me. But feelings may change if I have an equipment failure.
I encourage you to Just Ride without worry. It's just a bike and can be fixed.
Enjoy life while you can, because no one gets through life alive.
--- Keep in touch, You encouraged Me ---

Last edited:
I know there are lots if us 300+ folks out here. And as notes previously the bike is rated at 300 lbs max.

Actual rider weight is like 245. That said I am set to buy one tomorrow.

Back