Belt drive class 3 bikes

jjoyce

Hi all -
I got intrigued by the idea of a bike with less maintenance with a belt drive... they're understandably more expensive but seem worth it for the convenience and durability (vs. chain/cassette/derailleur)
The Wattwagon looks awesome (though pricey) and the Fuell looks good as well. What else is out there? I test rode some R&M and i think they're pretty expensive for the belt driven models
primary use would be 7 miles each way commute, all weather with some steep hills.
i like the integrated light setup as it is super dark for half of the year when i'm commuting
appreciate any advice
jj

A hardtail e-mtb that has fenders and a rack as an option, and cheaper than the Watt Wagon: FLX Blade 2.0

A hardtail e-mtb that has fenders and a rack as an option, and cheaper than the Watt Wagon: FLX Blade 2.0

That is a sweet looking machine ... wondering if it is too much for regular commuting duties, but looks awesome

looking at that automatic hub it shows it is only rated for a 350 watt mid drive and the bike has a 750 watt mid drive.

good catch - they seem pretty confident with the 10 day return policy.

anyone with any firsthand knowledge of the Fuell? i dont havent seen much about that motor

i think i want a mid-drive, gates belt w/ IGH, integrated lights, front shock, good hydraulic brakes, at least decent battery, removable display, strong reliability record, fenders. Prefer a typical mid-step/diamond frame but would be open to a step through. racks a big plus. are the shift sensor/inhibitors a worthwhile addition for IGH?

i found myself deep deep deep in the rabbit hole of ebikes last night and am wondering if i'm just making the decision too complicated because there are several good choices.

Fuell
Bulls Lacuba
FLX Blade 2
Wattwagon
Evelo
Pedego

are the shift sensor/inhibitors a worthwhile addition for IGH?
If you're using high torque/power motors I'd say yes, Ron 'Spinning Magnets' did a good article on IGH for ebikes a few years ago and he rated some of the options for strength. I fit both to my BBS01/Nexus 8 DIY conversion based on that article even though mine is a modest 350w kit motor. But from listening to his reviews Court Rye seems not bothered about OEM mid-drives without them for lower power motors eg the Giant LaFree E+1 uses the SyncDrive Life/Yamaha PW motor with 60nm torque, Nexus 8 IGH, and belt drive, doesn't have motor inhibitors, does have brake inhibitors, but I haven't read any complaints from LaFree owners.

That's a good list, and I don't know any of these bikes well, but the Blade and Wattwagon have parts that are just a class above the rest - Bafang Ultra, Rohloff hub, the suspension (I believe, I don't know suspensions well), the brakes... The Rohloff hub alone costs $1400 new, and sells for around half that used on eBay.

If you're using high torque/power motors I'd say yes, Ron 'Spinning Magnets' did a good article on IGH for ebikes a few years ago and he rated some of the options for strength. I fit both to my BBS01/Nexus 8 DIY conversion based on that article even though mine is a modest 350w kit motor. But from listening to his reviews Court Rye seems not bothered about OEM mid-drives without them for lower power motors eg the Giant LaFree E+1 uses the SyncDrive Life/Yamaha PW motor with 60nm torque, Nexus 8 IGH, and belt drive, doesn't have motor inhibitors, does have brake inhibitors, but I haven't read any complaints from LaFree owners.
The main issue with the La Free for the OP is, it's a class 1, not 3. Great bike, but wrong class.

The main issue with the La Free for the OP is, it's a class 1, not 3. Great bike, but wrong class.

Yes, I mention it in light of the article link I posted talking about the strength of mid-drive/IGH combinations as an example of one that doesn't have a shift sensor

The rear rack battery placement is a sore spot for many on that bike as well.
I actually like the battery placement. I didn't want a step-through where the battery was impinging on the space, so it's perfect for me. It's easy to remove, and with my bag on the rack looks more like an acoustic bike, which I also like.

That's a good list, and I don't know any of these bikes well, but the Blade and Wattwagon have parts that are just a class above the rest - Bafang Ultra, Rohloff hub, the suspension (I believe, I don't know suspensions well), the brakes... The Rohloff hub alone costs $1400 new, and sells for around half that used on eBay.

Yea, those two definitely stand out with quality parts and what looks like thoughtful integration. im a little wary without knowing more firsthand/real-world reports, esp given the cost. the touring model of the Blade 2.0 is $5300 + 10% tax in Washington

i'm trying to set up a test ride for as many of these as i can though i dont see any Blades in my area on their map

... an acoustic bike ...

haha :) biking unplugged

i'm trying to set up a test ride for as many of these as i can though i dont see any Blades in my area on their map
The Blade 2.0 has not even been released yet!

Pre-Order Now Before it Sells Out

Estimated to Ship by April 2020

The Blade 2.0 has not even been released yet!

Pre-Order Now Before it Sells Out

Estimated to Ship by April 2020

touche - but there is a 1.0 out there
the models near me are the trail and roadster, so i guess it would give me some sense of the build

A buddy has the Blade 1.0. Build is good in terms of component choice (quality brakes, wheels and fork). It's made in China so not going to have the same of refinement or attention to detail as a Watt Wagon or Riese & Muller but that is reflected in the pricing.

FLX has a popular Facebook group, maybe you can poke around and find a local who has ordered it and message them.

And maybe they have a customer affiliate program with local ambassadors.

Tomdav, plenty of top tier bikes come from China. Origin isn't destiny. You may well be right, but not because it's from China.

If you are anywhere near FLX, I believe they have a Blade 2.0 Demo/prototype they might let you try.

If you are anywhere near FLX, I believe they have a Blade 2.0 Demo/prototype they might let you try.

yea, that'd be ideal ... i have family in san diego but not able to make it down there anytime soon

FLX has a popular Facebook group, maybe you can poke around and find a local who has ordered it and message them.

And maybe they have a customer affiliate program with local ambassadors.

that's a good idea - i'll reach out to them

Asher, I wasn't saying that. I have a Frey on order. I am confident it will be a quality bike. Is it top tier? It has high spec components and I trust the company but I'm not expecting the same level of refinement or attention to detail as what I would get buying a WW from Pushkar.

FLX has a test ride program as well if you find a user in your area: https://flx.bike/pages/map

Back