BBS02 100km range

laudou

An online business sells 750w BBS equipped bikes that compare in weight and features with mine. The bike alone without the battery weighs 69 lbs. The crank wheel is 44 teeth and the derailleur is a Shimano 9 speed. The battery is 52v,17.5 A while mine is 48v, 21v. The seller says that they programmed the controller to turn it into a 500w street legal bike in Canada and the speed is limited to 32km. They claim a range from 65 to 100km is possible. I wonder what settings they are using to get such impressive results. I limited my controller to 18v as recommended in the guide found on the web and I programmed each of the 9 PAS levels as explained on the web starting at 10 % on PAS 1, etc. Low battery is set at 41. While riding on flat terrain and using only PAS1, I can barely get a 50km range. The display shows around 600w to 760w draw while riding on PAS 1 and middle gear. How could I possibly get the range claimed by that online seller? What settings would make my 750 w behave like a 500w motor?

A steady 600W on level ground seems like a lot. How fast is that?
Tire size and pressure? Total weight including you?
Would help if you posted your PAS settings.
Here's mine (52V 11AH bat):
basic.gif

A steady 600W on level ground seems like a lot. How fast is that?
Tire size and pressure? Total weight including you?
Would help if you posted your PAS settings.
Here's mine (52V 11AH bat):
View attachment 152321
Hi
Tires are 26x4 inflated at the 20 lbs manufacturer receommended. Total weight including fat myself is 260 lbs. Riding speed with around 650 w draw is around 31 km/ph, PAS 1, gear 6 or above. Speed limit is set at 100% on all 9 levels, that is 33 kmph. What kind of range are you getting with your setup?
Thanks
Thanks

Attachments

• Capture d’écran, le 2023-04-24 à 15.30.45.png
    Capture d’écran, le 2023-04-24 à 15.30.45.png
    49.6 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
What kind of range are you getting with your setup?
My tires are 26x1.5 front, 26x1.75 rear, inflated 55 psi front 50 psi rear, total weight ~220 lbs.
My 24 mile ride to and around the Arlington Triangle uses about 1/2 the battery.
I cruise using PAS 3-5 (higher levels as the battery weakens) at about 32 kph.

More about how I determined my PAS levels here:

Draw on the flats should be under or about 100W. 100W for one hour = 100wh. I can ride a 36V 7Wh battery for about 2.5 hours. That is on a bike with 622 x 40 tires at 45psi and a total bike weight of under 40 pounds. That one is a three speed and has a torque sensing motor that is more efficient than the Bafang mid-drive. A three-pound 252Wh battery goes 50 miles with wind, hills and some stoplights averaging 18.2 Mph over the total ride. I know a guy with a premium battery on a fat Bafang who drains his battery at two miles. It is because he is ghost pedaling and using the throttle. I use a motor for assistance not substitution. Here is that bike from a couple of years ago. I sold it and made a similar one with some improvements. The battery is in the water bottle cage. You can see the discharge wire running to the motor. I am now better at concealing wires like that for a more refined finish, but that was four years ago and I am still learning.

Attachments

• cremeVenture40halflink.JPG
    cremeVenture40halflink.JPG
    389.4 KB · Views: 120
  • UnionJack13.JPG
    UnionJack13.JPG
    692 KB · Views: 132
  • UnionJack15.JPG
    UnionJack15.JPG
    391.1 KB · Views: 109
I think the claimed specs are not realistic. My best was 74.9 miles (120 km) with a BBSHD 1000 watt and a 17.4 amp battery. I was in PAS 3 out of 9 and pedaled the entire time. I converted my Specialized Crosstrail which has skinnier then mountain bike tires and weighs 58# with the 12 pound battery. So the bike in question would weigh 81 pounds all in? I would walk a-weigh.

I think the claimed specs are not realistic. My best was 74.9 miles (120 km) with a BBSHD 1000 watt and a 17.4 amp battery. I was in PAS 3 out of 9 and pedaled the entire time. I converted my Specialized Crosstrail which has skinnier then mountain bike tires and weighs 58# with the 12 pound battery. So the bike in question would weigh 81 pounds all in? I would walk a-weigh.
HI
I understand that our bikes are completely different, mine being a lot heavier than yours and I am probably heavier than you too; total weight of my bike and myself: 265 lbs. But the range you are posting for your bike is quite impressive. I have the same BBSHD 1000w as you and a 21 A battery and I cannot get more than 65 km range while pedaling non stop. No matter my settings, my bike keeps assisting me even if I don't stop pedaling. There probably are a few things that I don't understand about the settings. Would you mind giving me your full settings?

People need to understand that milage is a very subjective and there are so many variables that it is very hard to quantify to another person and bike.
Hell I range from 7.25wh/mi to 12.50wh/mi on the same bike and same path due to weather and my physical condition of the day.

Last edited:
Laudou, I have the factory settings. I used to live up an incredibly steep hill. My bike did die that day 1/2 mile from my house on the hill. Other than that that ride was flat to rolling hills with not much elevation change. I think your tires are your main problem. Those fatties really create a lot of drag. My tires are 700x38 which gives me an effective 29"tire diameter with about 1 1/2 width. They are skinnier than mtb tires but fatter than a dedicated road bike tire. These are rated 75 to 100 PSI and I keep them close to the max. They roll really well. My first suggestion is to try pumping your tires up to the max or maybe a bit past that and see how that goes.
I'm confused, are you saying your bike is always providing power even when you stop pedaling?

Laudou, also, in your first post you said you had the 750 watt motor but then later said you had the 1000 watt like mine. Which is it?

Laudou, I have the factory settings. I used to live up an incredibly steep hill. My bike did die that day 1/2 mile from my house on the hill. Other than that that ride was flat to rolling hills with not much elevation change. I think your tires are your main problem. Those fatties really create a lot of drag. My tires are 700x38 which gives me an effective 29"tire diameter with about 1 1/2 width. They are skinnier than mtb tires but fatter than a dedicated road bike tire. These are rated 75 to 100 PSI and I keep them close to the max. They roll really well. My first suggestion is to try pumping your tires up to the max or maybe a bit past that and see how that goes.
I'm confused, are you saying your bike is always providing power even when you stop pedaling?
I'm saying that the bike provides power even when I am pedaling, no matter my settings. As for my tires, the manufacturer's recommended pressure is between 5 lbs and 30 lbs. I increased the pressure in my tires up to 25 lbs. My wife has a bike with exactly the same frame, same tires and a 500w hub motor as well as a 20 A battery. She easily gets over 125 km while using PAS 1 or 2 amn gear 4 or 5. There probably is no possible comparison between a hub motor and a BBSHD range. By the way, where can you find the factory settings for the BBSHD 1000w?

Still confused. Does it provide power if you set it to 0? Otherwise it sounds like it's doing what it is supposed to do. I don't know where to find the factory settings for mine. I never tweaked it.

My original BBS02B is 8-10WH/mile, depending on hills, wind, speed, etc,, I won't get 60 miles on my 48V15Ah battery, I'd probably hit high 50's, so give me a 17AH pack and I'm sure I could do it, But i'm rolling that 48 pound bike on 26x1,75" tires, not power sucking 26x4"
How do I know my WH/mile? I'll often clip a wattmeter behind my ebike batteries, and measure the WH consumed. Or I will put the wattmeter on the charger. I know charging values are higher because of battery losses and efficiency, but I don't bother to adjust,
Below 15 mph, I get about the same WH/mile on my BBS02B or my hubmotors. My wife, who weighs 70 lbs less than my 195lbs, will get about 20-30% lower wh/mile,

Last edited:
What is it that I don't get about setting up this BBS3 750w motor? I see users posting low watt usage as low as 98? Is it stable 98w those guys are getting or are watts fluctuating a lot like on my bike? The display never shows watts below 400w and it keeps fluctuation between 400 and over 850 in PAS 1 set at 10% and first gear. Do you have to limit the % motor speed in order to get low watt consumption? Unlike with my hub motor bike which provides a very steady speed and watt usage, my BBS3 feels like the assist is constantly on and off, which is very unpleasant. Should the BBS3 run very smoothly or is that kind of internal fight between full power and low power to be expected?

What is it that I don't get about setting up this BBS3 750w motor? I see users posting low watt usage as low as 98? Is it stable 98w those guys are getting or are watts fluctuating a lot like on my bike? The display never shows watts below 400w and it keeps fluctuation between 400 and over 850 in PAS 1 set at 10% and first gear. Do you have to limit the % motor speed in order to get low watt consumption? Unlike with my hub motor bike which provides a very steady speed and watt usage, my BBS3 feels like the assist is constantly on and off, which is very unpleasant. Should the BBS3 run very smoothly or is that kind of internal fight between full power and low power to be expected?
Post a picture of all your settings.
When pedaling on a flat I'm usually using 0 to 125 w. It does fluctuate as your pedaling speed has minor deviations and wind can affect it as well. With taming the settings you should be able to produce relatively smooth and predictable output.
Post a Pic of your bike and an estimate of your weight.
Also describe how you want to ride. For exercise? For speed? The motor giving you a little extra or a lot of assistance.
Don't become frustrated... We'll get you rolling right

Read my post here and tell me if it interests you or what you may want different.
Post in thread 'BBS*** Settings for a Smoother Ride' https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/bbs-settings-for-a-smoother-ride.37833/post-462130

Understand anyone else's settings should be for learning and a starting point. You should always tweak things to your specific bike, physical ability and riding style

Last edited:
MY bike and myself weigh 260 lbs. I don't care high speed riding. I prefer when the motor gives me little assistance when necessary but I like to pedal non stop. I do want to exercise.
Thanks

Attachments

• Capture d’écran, le 2023-05-02 à 16.14.50.png
    Capture d’écran, le 2023-05-02 à 16.14.50.png
    75.3 KB · Views: 122
  • Capture d’écran, le 2023-05-02 à 16.15.04.png
    Capture d’écran, le 2023-05-02 à 16.15.04.png
    92 KB · Views: 121
  • DSC00653.JPG
    DSC00653.JPG
    282.7 KB · Views: 121
Back