BBS02 100km range

laudou

An online business sells 750w BBS equipped bikes that compare in weight and features with mine. The bike alone without the battery weighs 69 lbs. The crank wheel is 44 teeth and the derailleur is a Shimano 9 speed. The battery is 52v,17.5 A while mine is 48v, 21v. The seller says that they programmed the controller to turn it into a 500w street legal bike in Canada and the speed is limited to 32km. They claim a range from 65 to 100km is possible. I wonder what settings they are using to get such impressive results. I limited my controller to 18v as recommended in the guide found on the web and I programmed each of the 9 PAS levels as explained on the web starting at 10 % on PAS 1, etc. Low battery is set at 41. While riding on flat terrain and using only PAS1, I can barely get a 50km range. The display shows around 600w to 760w draw while riding on PAS 1 and middle gear. How could I possibly get the range claimed by that online seller? What settings would make my 750 w behave like a 500w motor?

Also is there a reason you do not have Speed Limit and Designated Assist Level at 'By Display's Command'? Usually thats how these are set. I'm trying to eliminate variables here.
That's it right there... Designated Assist Level is set to 9...
So if you didn't change this when you copied my settings you are always in PAS 9 no matter the display command

Well I hope that's all it was. Easy fix is always desired.
I just ASSumed when you said that you input my settings that you did it in its entirety
Please, you guys, accept my apologies. I figured out that "Designated Assist Levels" meant the number or PAS levels available throught the display. I ran a short no load test in my garage and I could see that no watts at all were being used when I pedaled at moderate pace in PAS 1 and gear 1. I can't wait to ride my bikes. Please, don't tell your friends how stupid I am. And thanks again.

Please, you guys, accept my apologies. I figured out that "Designated Assist Levels" meant the number or PAS levels available throught the display. I ran a short no load test in my garage and I could see that no watts at all were being used when I pedaled at moderate pace in PAS 1 and gear 1. I can't wait to ride my bikes. Please, don't tell your friends how stupid I am. And thanks again.
All good.
These things are sold with absolutely no instructions and there's 1000 and 1 interpretations of what's going on in the settings.
That said.... My silence is for sale. 🙃
Enjoy!

Well you do owe us 🤣🤣
Wow! I just returned from a shor test drive with your settings. I no longer feel like I am riding a very powerful motorcycle. PAS 1 does not seem to giving any assistance but all the other PAS levels are fine. The watts display does not look crazy any longer. Your settings suit me perfectly. Thanks again.

600-750w on PAS 1? Holy cow that is quite a lot. On my BBSHD I can show around 50w. No more than 100w. On PAS9 it puts out about 450w. Now, on throttle it can sustain 1750-ish watts thanks to its 52v battery and 30a current limit. But thats throttle.

Whatever it is you are doing, undo it :D 100 kilometers is about 62 miles in the Imperialist units we use here, and thats do-able on my bike for sure. However I have a 35ah battery ... and its a cargo bike. As was noted earlier on, range estimates carry a LOT of variables including - at some point - a tipping point for battery longevity vs. weight.

I can't tell you that, but I can tell you what I do.

Not a lot of science apparent in this speed % progression, but it is the product of a fair bit of trial and error. I picked 100% for PAS9 and reduced it by 7 at each level down until I stopped at PAS1. What this does is, in conjunction with the other settings on the Pedal Assist tab, create motor behavior that is more conducive to dialing back power when I am at high cadence while also at lower assist settings. I usually run at PAS 3 for a normal cruise. If I decide I need more assist the settings give me a steady increase while at the same time providing more and more insulation from the current decay and keep current pullbacks. I'm a lot less likely to want to conserve power if I am pouring on the higher pas settings out of some need to crank them up.

View attachment 152864
Start current is super gentle because I prefer not to replace chains and cogs. Slow start mode is gentle for the same reason. Current decay is aggressive, and the keep current percentage is unusually low. My thinking is if I can spin the crankarms I am demonstrating by doing so I do not need a lot of assist. So the motor cuts it back. As cadence decreases power comes back in again. All of these settings reduce power consumption and increase range.
View attachment 152865
Nothing particularly noteworthy here just note the gentle throttle startup percentage, because I like buying parts as infrequently as possible.
View attachment 152866
I tested your settings on my BBSHD 1000w and I like them a lot. My bike now has a much more civilized behaviour. Steady watts are displayed. To put it simply, I feel like I am in control of my powerful beast. Thanks again.

We're all stupid sometimes. It took 41 posts to get to the simple solution.
@Gionnirocket is clearly the least stupid among us. :)

Now keep tweaking to make every PAS level useful to you.
Actually @m@Robertson noticed it in his settings... But shortly after @laudou had stated he copied my settings so I though that issue resolved.
Anywho 4 sets of eyes on it, we had to stumble across the right answer eventually.

Wow! I just returned from a shor test drive with your settings. I no longer feel like I am riding a very powerful motorcycle. PAS 1 does not seem to giving any assistance but all the other PAS levels are fine. The watts display does not look crazy any longer. Your settings suit me perfectly. Thanks again.
Glad you like it... But I strongly recommend that you now make it your own and adjust the PAS Current /Speed to suit you.
My PAS 1 is hardly used but it is for navigating very tight obstacles especially on an steep incline keeping me around 6-8mph in gears 1-2. If you have no use for this raise the Speed to something that suits your needs. Then go up the PAS scale adjusting 2 - 8 as necessary for the situations most encountered.
Additionally your not stuck to mine on the 750w and @m@Robertson on the 1000w...they are somewhat interchangeable and you can borrow from one to the other.

Now go for a nice long ride and enjoy!

Last edited:
Glad you like it... But I strongly recommend that you now make it your own and adjust the PAS Current /Speed to suit you.
My PAS 1 is hardly used but it is for navigating very tight obstacles especially on an steep incline keeping me around 6-8mph in gears 1-2. If you have no use for this raise the Speed to something that suits your needs. Then go up the PAS scale adjusting 2 - 8 as necessary for the situations most encountered.
Additionally your not stuck to mine on the 750w and @m@Robertson on the 1000w...they are somewhat interchangeable and you can borrow from one to the other.

Now go for a nice long ride and enjoy!
Thanks so much. One more question, if you don't mind: you set the current at 20 on your BBS02 750w and I did the same on my bike. What if I set it at the maximum 25? How much would it change the results?

Thanks so much. One more question, if you don't mind: you set the current at 20 on your BBS02 750w and I did the same on my bike. What if I set it at the maximum 25? How much would it change the results?
That would be an increase of 25% across the PAS scale.
I did this to protect the controller as I really don't need that much power and to avoid unintentional large spikes.
If wanting to implement this safety buffer and still have more power then adjust individual PAS currents higher for any particular PAS you feel are underpowered.

I suggest that once you get a feel for it... Reread this.

Post in thread 'BBS*** Settings for a Smoother Ride' https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/bbs-settings-for-a-smoother-ride.37833/post-462130

So you understand my strategy and that might help you develop your own

That would be an increase of 25% across the PAS scale.
I did this to protect the controller as I really don't need that much power and to avoid unintentional large spikes.
If wanting to implement this safety buffer and still have more power then adjust individual PAS currents higher for any particular PAS you feel are underpowered.
Thanks.

Hah I missed the resolution but glad it came out. The differences were so marked it had to be something weird throwing a wrench in. I have never seen anyone not use 'By Display's Command' on those choices so I had no idea what they did if set in the software. So more than one of us learned something here.

@laudou now that you have reached a good baseline, its time to start tinkering to see how you can get the motor to be exactly like you want it. No such thing as a universal solution. What I prefer has been largely static for a couple of years and I am just now getting back into tweaking mine further.

Hah I missed the resolution but glad it came out. The differences were so marked it had to be something weird throwing a wrench in. I have never seen anyone not use 'By Display's Command' on those choices so I had no idea what they did if set in the software. So more than one of us learned something here.

@laudou now that you have reached a good baseline, its time to start tinkering to see how you can get the motor to be exactly like you want it. No such thing as a universal solution. What I prefer has been largely static for a couple of years and I am just now getting back into tweaking mine further.

m@Robertson Thanks to you too. Before I got solutions here, I was about to regret buying these two bikes.​

m@Robertson Thanks to you too. Before I got solutions here, I was about to regret buying these two bikes.​

Hi
Afer recovering from a serious bike accident, I am glad to share my results with my 750 W BBSHD motor and a 21 AH Samsung battery. After progamming my controller starting at 10 %, 20%, 30%, etc I can report range of 125 Km or 77 miles while using PAS 2 and 3 most of the time and PAS 4 when climbing small hills and PAS 5 for steeper hills. Beyond my hopes. My bike is the heavy type with 26x4 '' tires.

Back