All things SDuro

Hugh Caldwell

Thought I would start a thread for all the SDuro owners to share info, pictures, ride reports, issues, mods and whatever else might be SDuro related. If you have an SDuro please post up the model, size, your height/inseam and anything SDuro related.

I'm 5'8" with a 29" or 30" inseam ( I buy 30" leg jeans). My ride is an 48cm SDuro Cross SM and I believe it's the ideal size for me.

I found this detail on the handlebar pretty amusing. I'm wondering if it was something that was written on a design drawing and accidentally got included in the final product:
WP_20170513_19_27_28_Pro.jpg

Since I ride an SDuro SM which doesn't have an odometer I picked up a CatEye Urban+ wireless. One advantage of this is that if I move the speed sensor to the crank from the rear wheel I'll still have an accurate speedo and odo.

I didn't want to use up any of my valuable "Extra Mounting Space" :D
WP_20170513_19_42_35_Pro.jpg

I located the speed sensor right over the front rotor. This is the third mounting location I tried. It seems awfully close to the rotor but the it's stopped from moving down by the bung for the front fender mount. Also if the sensor should come in contact with the spokes the spokes will just knock it out of the way. I had originally mounted the sensor on the back of the fork but if started interfering with the spokes it would be force into the wheel instead of away from it.
WP_20170513_20_21_38_Pro.jpg

Here is my SDuro Cross in it's natural element on the W&OD bike trail. I took it out for about 10 miles on Sunday which isn't particularly far but it is the longest bicycle ride I've taken in the last 10+ years.
WP_20170514_11_01_04_Pro.jpg

Some upcoming must do mods are a bottle cage, kickstand, and grips. Even on my relatively short ride I was really missing not having water with me. If anyone has recommendation on a good bottle mount and kickstand it would be appreciated.

Your turn.

-Hugh

Just bought myself a "demo bike" from a local dealer. The 2016 Sduro HardNine SL with 380km on its odometer. 29" wheels, probably a large frame (not quite sure). I've done 200km on it in three weeks. Loving every second of it. I'm a bit over the 120kg weight limit of the bike, but that does not seem to be a problem. Motor works great, but on a 15km ride with 580 height meters to the top of a mountain here, I lost 40km on the battery in the 7.5 km to the top (in Standard mode). Had to take some pauses on the way down because of very hot brakes.

Looking for a bootle cage myself. I do have a backpack with a camelback, that works great, but I don't want to bring a backpack every time. Fitted a generic cheap stand that works ok.

In general I'm very satisfied with the bike, it keeps me from gaming.. I even go out when it rains :)

Edit: Found this: https://www.motostrano.com/Haibike-Electric-Bike-Kickstand-p/hbkick.htm

Last edited:
"It's a bitter line between love and hate" (1)

Last Friday was "Ride to Work Day" so I took the opportunity to use my Cross SM to commute for the first time. The ride in was great even though I got a little lost and added a few miles to my commute. Since it was "Ride to Work Day" the local bicycle association had various rest stops out with free snacks and drinks. I stopped briefly at one and spotted a couple of other ebikes and overheard police officer and some riders discussing the need to regulate ebikes. Apparently we have a reputation as hooligans. :D

WP_20170519_08_23_53_Pro.jpg

When I left for the day I was really looking forward to the ride but within a mile of leaving work the computer started flashing and error message and motor stopped working. At this point the bike had less than 25miles on it and it already broke down! ARRRRGGGGH!

It turns out that riding a 50lbs bicycle into a headwind when you're out of shape isn't nearly as fun as it sounds. (2)

Then it started raining,

and I almost got run over by a truck (it was my fault).

I hate my Sduro what a POS!

WP_20170519_18_28_55_Rich.jpg

WP_20170519_18_29_02_Rich.jpg

Saturday I contacted the ebikesofne and they emailed me a link to a youtube video showing how to reset the computer. I followed the procedure and it seems to have worked. I took the bike out on Sunday and it was running great again. Hopefully this is a onetime brainfart on the part of the computer.

Below is the link to the youtube video on resetting the computer and the steps to perform:
1) Turn on the bike
2) Release the ignition button and press it again for 10 seconds until appear the 3 assistance modes.
3) With the arrow key to go to "Eco" and press the "Light"
4) You will see probably the word "E1"
5) Press the light key and the two arrow keys.
6) The display should light for a moment and go out.
7) Turn the bike (it should work), leave it still and let the display to go off on its own (it will take about 5 minutes). This very important step.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

(1)

(2) The bike was surprisingly easy to ride home even without the motor. It didn't cheer me up.

Last edited:
Bravo Hugh for hanging in there even with the bike cutting out! With all things technical, have a little patience; sounds like the bike shop did a good job helping you get the system back on track.

Love your storytelling :)
Sorry about your trouble, not fun with a new product.
My bike commute is too short to get lost, and it's a small city. 2.5km each way (moving in six months so it will double)

Just changed the front disk pads on my Trekking Sduro 6.0 after 2200 kilometers.

Now it's on to the rear pads in 100 kilometers. Not sure it's going to be easier as the screw which retains the pads is obstructed by the rear rack. So I might have to remove the entire caliper...

Did they last for 2200km?

Bought myself a very cheap bike repair stand yesterday, which actually turned out to work great. Was up two hours extra because I started to clean the chain (which was covered in crap). I do miss a stool with wheels.

When I finish painting my house (and fence..) I'll do a more thorough "service". Love my new hobby :)
Just have to find a way in the jungle of brake pads. Don't even know what I need, or when :D

Jay: Something like this would help you? https://www.amazon.com/VIM-Tools-HB...rd_wg=raQhu&psc=1&refRID=MEBT2KRV0WV94GXR9W9H

(I would remove the rack to do the job)

Read in the reviews-section that with a bit it was an inch, so still 6mm more than you have available to work with. Some could probably be cut from the bit, but 6mm is stretching it :)

BTW I was intrigued by your pad heating problems. Is it that hot where you live?
Not hot. But many hills. And not various terrain. You go either up or down. So the downhills are very long and my weight is a lot more than the bike is built for.

20170524_113007-Edit.jpg
Thought I would start a thread for all the SDuro owners to share info, pictures, ride reports, issues, mods and whatever else might be SDuro related. If you have an SDuro please post up the model, size, your height/inseam and anything SDuro related.

I'm 5'8" with a 29" or 30" inseam ( I buy 30" leg jeans). My ride is an 48cm SDuro Cross SM and I believe it's the ideal size for me.

I found this detail on the handlebar pretty amusing. I'm wondering if it was something that was written on a design drawing and accidentally got included in the final product:View attachment 16520

Since I ride an SDuro SM which doesn't have an odometer I picked up a CatEye Urban+ wireless. One advantage of this is that if I move the speed sensor to the crank from the rear wheel I'll still have an accurate speedo and odo.

I didn't want to use up any of my valuable "Extra Mounting Space" :D
View attachment 16521

I located the speed sensor right over the front rotor. This is the third mounting location I tried. It seems awfully close to the rotor but the it's stopped from moving down by the bung for the front fender mount. Also if the sensor should come in contact with the spokes the spokes will just knock it out of the way. I had originally mounted the sensor on the back of the fork but if started interfering with the spokes it would be force into the wheel instead of away from it.
View attachment 16522

Here is my SDuro Cross in it's natural element on the W&OD bike trail. I took it out for about 10 miles on Sunday which isn't particularly far but it is the longest bicycle ride I've taken in the last 10+ years.
View attachment 16523

Some upcoming must do mods are a bottle cage, kickstand, and grips. Even on my relatively short ride I was really missing not having water with me. If anyone has recommendation on a good bottle mount and kickstand it would be appreciated.

Your turn.

-Hugh

Thanks for starting this thread Hugh. I own a 2016 Sduro Fullnine RC. I purchased it from Motostrano in Redwood City last December when he was running a killer deal. I'm 5-8, my inseam is 30" and the size I have is a 45cm which is considered a 'medium.' My GF owns a 2016 Haibike Trekking RC which she got from Pedego Avila Beach. She traded a film for her bike. We ride almost every single day and live in the SF Bay Area so there's loads of great roads/trails to ride. I like hilly fire roads and trails in addition to running errands locally. I've dongled my bike with an ASA 25.01 dongle. I've also installed a Thule Pack and Pedal rack onto my bike and fabricated water bottle bosses onto the rack. In addition I installed a Supernova M99 Pure and their E3 2 tail light. I love my bike who I named "Sofia" and it's one of the best purchases I've made in a long while.

Attachments

• 20170321_130655.jpg
    20170321_130655.jpg
    596.8 KB · Views: 2,063
  • 20170401_103223.jpg
    20170401_103223.jpg
    721 KB · Views: 2,084
  • 20170507_145136.jpg
    20170507_145136.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2,389
  • DSCF0376.jpg
    DSCF0376.jpg
    505.4 KB · Views: 2,280
  • 20170322_204124.jpg
    20170322_204124.jpg
    665.9 KB · Views: 2,106
  • IMG_20170322_192102_373.jpg
    IMG_20170322_192102_373.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2,271
Nice blog. Glad you found your way in here. Would like to see a writeup on the Thule Pack too :)
SF is nice. Been there once, for two days, way too short of a stay :( (we drove to Miami)

@Mark K - I like the way you have added rack, fenders, kickstand to that mountain bike to make it more able to handle day to day errands and constraints I wish more manufacturers would propose them optionally on mountain bikes. What kind of rack is that?

Thanks JayVee, the rack is a Thule Pack 'N Pedal Tour rack. I looked a lot to find a rack that works with a full suspension bike. I really don't like the type that hook to a seatpost so I avoided those. The fenders are by MudHugger and again I wanted fenders to keep the blasted mud out of my eyes when I ride in the winter. I love riding through the mud as I think it's because my mom kept me too neat as a child! Hahahaha. I had the dealer where I bought my bike sell me the kickstand. Prior to my ebike I rode a Specialized mountain bike, no kick stand, no rack, no nothing. But now I want amenities that I use daily. I can remove my locks, DIY water bottle bosses, but what I won't ever remove is the rack and the lights. I'm no longer a 'hard core' MTB rider, nor a closed course motorcycle racer. Been there, done that. Now I ride for pure enjoyment, be that on the street to run errands or on fire roads in the hills. So I've outfitted my bike to suit my lifestyle. My GF owns a Haibike Sduro Trekker and we ride almost every single day. It's just so much fun. We were just out on a 'pre breakfast' ride before going to work. (We're pro photographers)

20170525_105904-Edit.jpg

I was gonna say, @Mark K, that the quality of your photography is high! As a fellow professional photographer, I wish I had traded a film for my Haibike Sduro FullSeven AllMtn Plus, the way your girlfriend did for her Trekking. I love my bike, although I finally decided to add Mr. Tuffy liners to my tires. On all other fronts, electrically and mechanically, my bike has performed perfectly. I upgraded the pedals, the grips, and the saddle. I cut the handlebars two inches from each side as they were too wide for me. I raised the stem. I added lights and a mirror. I wish I had a kickstand. What kickstand are you using?

I was gonna say, @Mark K, that the quality of your photography is high! As a fellow professional photographer, I wish I had traded a film for my Haibike Sduro FullSeven AllMtn Plus, the way your girlfriend did for her Trekking. I love my bike, although I finally decided to add Mr. Tuffy liners to my tires. On all other fronts, electrically and mechanically, my bike has performed perfectly. I upgraded the pedals, the grips, and the saddle. I cut the handlebars two inches from each side as they were too wide for me. I raised the stem. I added lights and a mirror. I wish I had a kickstand. What kickstand are you using?

I use this kickstand.

Another quick question @Mark K - What type of system is used to fasten the trunk bag on your GF's Sduro Trekking? Is it racktime snap-it, the XLC adaptor plate, or another system? I ask because I have the same rack and want to add a trunk bag in addition to panniers, but that won't work with the XLC adaptor plate alone as it conflicts with the pannier hooks. You can add an optional 'ring' to the adaptor plate to hook the panniers, but the end result looks a bit weird (it's shown below). I'm pretty sure the racktime snap-it would work but just need to confirm with someone who has done it already.

View attachment 16688

@JayVee We both use Axiom bags. Her's is the Axiom Caboose 11. Mine is the Paddywagon EXP. Both attached in the same manner using four Velcro straps. I like this attachment system as it means I don't have to use a specific brand of rack. Her Caboose (her bag not her butt!) wraps very well around the Trekking bars and my Paddywagon (and yes I have taken a ride in the back of a paddy wagon for fighting!) fits perfectly into the slots on the Thule Pack 'n Pedal rack deck.

I opted for the Paddywagon because it gives me tons of flexibility for the amount of crap I want to carry. The small built in 'pannier's are VERY HANDY and come into use often. My Thule Pack 'n Pedal tour rack has little eyelets that are PERFECT for using the pannier hooks to latch the bungee cords to. I often carry my lunch in the top portion which has insulation and then my other stuff like a fleece or more food in the panniers.
DSCF0381.jpg
DSCF0382.jpg
DSCF0383.jpg
DSCF0385.jpg
DSCF0386.jpg

Back