Advice for someone who is bad at hills and has limited servicing options - budget under $4k

CannotDoHills

Region
USA
Hi All,

I have been reading through the forums but still not 100% sure what to do. I'm over 40 and just getting back into biking with some health issues. I rented out a Fuji absolute 1.7 from a local shop for a week and was absolutely useless at going up hills. I could only make mild hills - anything else and I was just dying. Probably due to fitness and not using gears properly and what not? I had to get off and walk I was so bad. By the end I was better but still nowhere near what I was like when I was younger. It was no fun at all on those hills 😅

Anyway - I live in Blacksburg Virginia and it's a little bit hilly in places so I'm looking for an ebike to help me up the hills. Main point are:

• A ebike to get me up all road hills - that is the main and only thing I really need help with.
  • Will mainly be on paved roads, back roads, gravel roads, grass, etc
  • Most likely will not be on hardcore trails or mountain bike parks or things like that (at least for a long while anyway!)
  • Do not want a road bike or a cruiser - would prefer a mountain bike or hybrid style as always had a mountain bike when I was younger
  • 5'8 / 205lbs so probably need more torque in the motor to get me up the hill
  • I don't have a vehicle that could transport the bike a long way to get it fixed if there was a problem with it later
  • There doesn't seem to be anyway (at least from what I can find) that fixes ebikes near me (that I can get to without a vehicle). So I'm a bit worried about buying an ebike online (e.g. aventon, etc) and then not being able to get it fixed if there was a problem
  • Blacksburg has a Trek shop and a shop called Bike Barn that does a few ebikes - I'm not 100% sure if they will fix same brand ebikes that weren't purchased through the store (I've asked them about this and waiting for their response) so I'm a bit limited to what I can buy
  • Ideally something I can still pedal if the battery dies

Of the Trek bikes I was thinking about either:

• Allant+ 7s
  • Powerfly 4
  • Powerfly FS 4
  • Powerfly 4 Gen 4

The Bike Barn Had:
  • SAUSALITO ST E2
  • EL Kahuna SUV
it says they also do Marin (bit too expensive) and Specialized. If I can purchase Specialized through them or they will build it/service Specialized then will definitely consider them too.

Any advice or links to other posts would be much appreciated!

If I can purchase Specialized through them or they will build it/service Specialized then will definitely consider them too.
Go to Specialized.com and use Find A Dealer. In case you can order an e-bike online, it would be delivered to the authorized Specialized store nearest to you; or, you can choose the door-to-door delivery.

Go to Specialized.com and use Find A Dealer. In case you can order an e-bike online, it would be delivered to the authorized Specialized store nearest to you; or, you can choose the door-to-door delivery.
Hi,

I know I can do that - but what happens when there is a battery or motor problem and my local bike shops can't fix it? If bike barn will fix it then fine but if not then I'm a bit worried what happens then? Doesn't seem anywhere local to get them fixed? I've contacted them to ask about this so will know soon enough.
Ah Bike Barn do show up on that search 👍

Hi,

I know I can do that - but what happens when there is a battery or motor problem and my local bike shops can't fix it? If bike barn will fix it then fine but if not then I'm a bit worried what happens then? Doesn't seem anywhere local to get them fixed? I've contacted them to ask about this so will know soon enough.
They need to be authorized and better if they are good.
Cannot help it...

Besides, any Specialized authorized dealer is obliged to do the repairs and warranty regardless how and where the e-bike was bought. I understand it is not an option for you.

They need to be authorized and better if they are good.
Cannot help it...

Besides, any Specialized authorized dealer is obliged to do the repairs and warranty regardless how and where the e-bike was bought. I understand it is not an option for you.
Ah i see - thank you! Yes double checked and they are authorised Specialized dealer! Great - will checkout Specialized bikes as well now!

Given that Blacksburg has a Trek shop and you are a mountain bike guy, it's hard to see why you would do anything other than go find a Powerfly that makes you happy. I know your area, and it's some rootin tootin bike riding around there with a great culture for it. I'm a known Specialized fan as well, but Trek is a well deserved Big Dog as well.

it's hard to see why you would do anything other than go find a Powerfly that makes you happy.
O.P. said he wanted to pedal bike home if battery failed. On Bosch Performance CX bike rider drags motor with his feet if power fails. It rains a lot in w VA. Bosch has a display that can't be deleted.

Given that Blacksburg has a Trek shop and you are a mountain bike guy, it's hard to see why you would do anything other than go find a Powerfly that makes you happy. I know your area, and it's some rootin tootin bike riding around there with a great culture for it. I'm a known Specialized fan as well, but Trek is a well deserved Big Dog as well.
Thanks! I do like the look of the Powerfly. I think I'll order one and take it out for a demo run to see if it can get me up the hills!

Last edited:
I’ll put in a plug for a Vintage Electric, specifically a Cafe or a Rally:

I have a Cafe. Here’s my reasoning in recommending that you consider a Cafe or Rally based on your parameters:

1. Their sales and support teams are absolutely top-notch. They will bend over backwards to take care of you if you have any problems.

2. I have had a few problems (none of them motor-related; all related to the “bike” part rather than the “e” part). Since they sell online, they will make arrangements with your local bike shop to provide needed service.

3. Granted, that doesn’t solve your problem with having no way to get the bike back and forth to the local bike shop; but then, won’t you have that same problem with any bike, regardless of whether you get it online or locally?

4. I live in a hilly area. The Cafe handles with ease any hill I’ve encountered (I’m 5’9, 180lbs). On levels 1-3, I can tackle any reasonable hill readily, depending upon gear shifting and how much effort I feel like putting in; on levels 4-5, I can tackle pretty much any hill with almost no effort.

Anyway: just a thought!

I’ll put in a plug for a Vintage Electric, specifically a Cafe or a Rally:

I have a Cafe. Here’s my reasoning in recommending that you consider a Cafe or Rally based on your parameters:

1. Their sales and support teams are absolutely top-notch. They will bend over backwards to take care of you if you have any problems.

2. I have had a few problems (none of them motor-related; all related to the “bike” part rather than the “e” part). Since they sell online, they will make arrangements with your local bike shop to provide needed service.

3. Granted, that doesn’t solve your problem with having no way to get the bike back and forth to the local bike shop; but then, won’t you have that same problem with any bike, regardless of whether you get it online or locally?

4. I live in a hilly area. The Cafe handles with ease any hill I’ve encountered (I’m 5’9, 180lbs). On levels 1-3, I can tackle any reasonable hill readily, depending upon gear shifting and how much effort I feel like putting in; on levels 4-5, I can tackle pretty much any hill with almost no effort.

Anyway: just a thought!
Thanks! Will take a look into them! If they make arrangements with the local bike shop then that's ok as well.

Hi All,

I have been reading through the forums but still not 100% sure what to do. I'm over 40 and just getting back into biking with some health issues. I rented out a Fuji absolute 1.7 from a local shop for a week and was absolutely useless at going up hills. I could only make mild hills - anything else and I was just dying. Probably due to fitness and not using gears properly and what not? I had to get off and walk I was so bad. By the end I was better but still nowhere near what I was like when I was younger. It was no fun at all on those hills 😅

Anyway - I live in Blacksburg Virginia and it's a little bit hilly in places so I'm looking for an ebike to help me up the hills. Main point are:

• A ebike to get me up all road hills - that is the main and only thing I really need help with.
  • Will mainly be on paved roads, back roads, gravel roads, grass, etc
  • Most likely will not be on hardcore trails or mountain bike parks or things like that (at least for a long while anyway!)
  • Do not want a road bike or a cruiser - would prefer a mountain bike or hybrid style as always had a mountain bike when I was younger
  • 5'8 / 205lbs so probably need more torque in the motor to get me up the hill
  • I don't have a vehicle that could transport the bike a long way to get it fixed if there was a problem with it later
  • There doesn't seem to be anyway (at least from what I can find) that fixes ebikes near me (that I can get to without a vehicle). So I'm a bit worried about buying an ebike online (e.g. aventon, etc) and then not being able to get it fixed if there was a problem
  • Blacksburg has a Trek shop and a shop called Bike Barn that does a few ebikes - I'm not 100% sure if they will fix same brand ebikes that weren't purchased through the store (I've asked them about this and waiting for their response) so I'm a bit limited to what I can buy
  • Ideally something I can still pedal if the battery dies

Of the Trek bikes I was thinking about either:

• Allant+ 7s
  • Powerfly 4
  • Powerfly FS 4
  • Powerfly 4 Gen 4

The Bike Barn Had:
  • SAUSALITO ST E2
  • EL Kahuna SUV
it says they also do Marin (bit too expensive) and Specialized. If I can purchase Specialized through them or they will build it/service Specialized then will definitely consider them too.

Any advice or links to other posts would be much appreciated!
I completely get you about hill climbing on a bike. My latest of 4 ebikes is the Ride1Up Prodigy. I've had a Juiced fat tire ebike, the Trek Powerfly 4, and the Ride1Up LMTD. This Prodigy is by FAR the best hill climbing bike I've ever ridden. I'm so grateful to them for selling it at about $2500, ergo affordable for me. I'm about 5'7 and weigh 160 lbs. Not much muscle mass remaining. BAD lungs due to a congenital disease. This bike is the one to ride to get up hills. Far and away the best. My husband used to have to push me up hills. Now I happily wait at the top for him to get up the hill. I'm never even breathing hard. It does the long ascents as readily as the super steep ones. Never been as happy to ride a bike as with this Prodigy. (ps: I used to road race as a youngster, so I know my way around a bike.)

The Sausalito E2 has 650b rims with gravel tires. In the future you can upgrade the fork. Marin is headquartered in my home town. They are nice bikes. It has a wide range of gears for climbs. The area North of San Francisco, Marin Co. is hilly. Is $2800 too much? I happen to like an eBike to feel like a bike. I go for smoothness.
1682717922371.jpeg

I completely get you about hill climbing on a bike. My latest of 4 ebikes is the Ride1Up Prodigy. I've had a Juiced fat tire ebike, the Trek Powerfly 4, and the Ride1Up LMTD. This Prodigy is by FAR the best hill climbing bike I've ever ridden. I'm so grateful to them for selling it at about $2500, ergo affordable for me. I'm about 5'7 and weigh 160 lbs. Not much muscle mass remaining. BAD lungs due to a congenital disease. This bike is the one to ride to get up hills. Far and away the best. My husband used to have to push me up hills. Now I happily wait at the top for him to get up the hill. I'm never even breathing hard. It does the long ascents as readily as the super steep ones. Never been as happy to ride a bike as with this Prodigy. (ps: I used to road race as a youngster, so I know my way around a bike.)
Sorry to hear that but glad you're getting up those hills now! How was the Powerfly 4 going up hills - did you still struggle a lot?

The Ride1Up looks great - but the local bike shops won't fix it if it breaks so I would have to maybe rent a van or something to travel an hour or two to the next big town - that's my biggest worry about those bikes.

The Sausalito E2 has 650b rims with gravel tires. In the future you can upgrade the fork. Marin is headquartered in my home town. They are nice bikes. It has a wide range of gears for climbs. The area North of San Francisco, Marin Co. is hilly. Is $2800 too much? I happen to like an eBike to feel like a bike. I go for smoothness.
View attachment 152541
That price is fine - looks a nice bike. I'm wondering if it has enough nm to get me up the hill as I'm a bit heavy and my fitness and skill is not enough 😬

But the E2 is definitely an option.

If you plan to doing lot of MTBing and go down FS path worth spending a bit more and buying Powerfly 7 FS instead of 4 as it has better suspension and brakes.

In regards to aftermarket support I wouldn't expect to visit bike shop for electrical problems. Most mainstream middrives are very reliable and don't need servicing. If you do lot of MTBing then expect rest of normal bike components to need servicing.

Advice on these forums is no substitute for lots of test rides.

Last edited:
Do not want a road bike or a cruiser - would prefer a mountain bike or hybrid style as always had a mountain bike when I was younger
The things that we called "mountain bikes" when we were younger have evolved into full suspension beasts which have no creature comforts for riding around the city. A new category called "gravel bikes" has appeared in the space they left behind, and they are basically the mountain bikes of our youth. There is an emerging category for ebikes of full suspension mountain bikes with features like fenders, racks and lights added back in. You mention Powerfly. In that series the "equipped" models are the "SUV style".
5'8 / 205lbs so probably need more torque in the motor to get me up the hill
That's really not big for an ebike to drag up the hill, especially a mid-drive. If you want to get scientific, look at the torque of the motor (it's always listed). Trek seems to use the same Bosch CX 85Nm motor even in lower skus, while Specialized ramps the torque with the trim level. Then look at the ratio of the front chainring to the biggest ring on the back. You mention an Allant 7s and an FS4. Same motor torque, but because the FS4 has a granny gear, it's got about 60% more torque at the back wheel. On the other hand, the Allant 7s has about 25% more speed at the top end if you're pedaling like crazy.

Back