to many choices !!

nicolasfar

Region
Canada
hello everyone, i am new here passionnate about road bike and MTB
since a couple of month I moved in an Area of province of quebec in Canada that have a lot of steep hills.
i am the shopping and analysing ebike since a couple of month now
the hill that i need to climb to get out of the village has 3 miles 5 km long and up to 15%, after i need to do 10 more miles up hill average 8 to 10 % to get work
i am searching for a fat tire bike MID DRIVE that what i learned thrue my search,
thumb or twist Throttle
at least 5 level of pedal assist because i want and i can to help the bike !! ;-)
will mainly use for commuting on paved road, snow and gravel road, 4 season

i was thinking about the
Juggernaut Ultra Duo 2
the price tag of 4500$ CAD with a secondary battery and the fact that they down size at 160mm the brake rotor on that particular model colded me out

any suggestion at a cheapest price for a bike that could deliver at least 100nm of torque

thank you

Nicolas

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1695048551756.jpg
    FB_IMG_1695048551756.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 63
That's a lot of money. I would buy a bike that was legal to ride on the roads in Quebec. For years I commuted 34 mile round trip on a 500 watt bike. My road is a 2.2 mile long hill, culminating in an 18% grade in Pennsylvania. The bike would do 20 mph and had a 16 Amp hour battery. That's going on a decade ago now. There are better bikes and batteries now. It's just my opinion, but I don't think you need a 1500 watt bike to do your commute. It would be a shame if you got caught by the police with an unregistered vehicle.

Best of luck in your search and welcome to the forum.

With a lot of snow and salt on the road, you would benefit from having Gates Belt Drive and IGH along with mid-drive. It will minimize your maintenance.
It is not the advertised power. A properly tuned 500W mid-motor can support your commute all day long. Nothing beats test rides, and I think you would benefit from visiting a store like Quantum E-bikes and test riding some quality E-bikes.
We are shipping our Photon bikes to a Montreal - Quantum E-bikes store; you should try it there. Perhaps this bike could meet your requirements because your use case is something we considered when we designed this bike: https://zenebikes.ca/products/photon-electric-bike

Why does it seem like everyone wants a fat tire bike?
Hi with all do respect, what else do you suggest for traction and stability ?
this will be my first attemp to ride a bike in winter
Maybe i am missing something 😉

Thanks

Nick

Hi with all do respect, what else do you suggest for traction and stability ?
this will be my first attemp to ride a bike in winter
Maybe i am missing something 😉

Thanks

Nick
Fat tires help with fresh powder snow. You will be commuting on packed snow and ice. The only thing that works on that is studded tires. The contact patch isn't much different on a 4 inch tire and a 2.25 inch tire. The contact patch is what rolls on packed snow and ice.

20160930_184022.png
This was the first day of spring a few years ago. Part of my commute.

No amount of rubber tire will grip ice and packed snow. Studded tires are required. Fat studded tires are hard to find. I also use strap on studs on my shoes because shoe rubber won't grip ice either.

Fat tires help with fresh powder snow. You will be commuting on packed snow and ice. The only thing that works on that is studded tires. The contact patch isn't much different on a 4 inch tire and a 2.25 inch tire. The contact patch is what rolls on packed snow and ice.

View attachment 162918

No amount of rubber tire will grip ice and packed snow. Studded tires are required. Fat studded tires are hard to find. I also use strap on studs on my shoes because shoe rubber won't grip ice either.
That would have been a good day to call uber or call in sick!

View attachment 162918

where i now live, the accumulation of snow are important and also happen frequently, yes i will commute but more in a country and mountain setting
i will need to invest on studded tire anyhow

That's a lot of money. I would buy a bike that was legal to ride on the roads in Quebec. For years I commuted 34 mile round trip on a 500 watt bike. My road is a 2.2 mile long hill, culminating in an 18% grade in Pennsylvania. The bike would do 20 mph and had a 16 Amp hour battery. That's going on a decade ago now. There are better bikes and batteries now. It's just my opinion, but I don't think you need a 1500 watt bike to do your commute. It would be a shame if you got caught by the police with an unregistered vehicle.

Best of luck in your search and welcome to the forum.
Hi J R

You said that you were able to go up hill at 20 miles per hour

With a 500 W hub drive motor ! ?

It was an hub drive ?
No over heating problems in the hills ?

Thanks

Nick

With a 500 W hub drive motor ! ?
It was an hub drive ?
No over heating problems in the hills ?
Geared hubs can climb hills, just not endlessly. If you try to go from Newport beach to Lake Arrowhead, yes you could burn a geared hub motor. Short hops up Griffith Park, Muldraugh Drive, or Signal Hill should be fine.

Back