Adding a throttle to non throttle bikes?

farnorth1

I've been searching Class 3 bikes that have throttle only ability.
(This evolution started here, https://electricbikereview.com/foru...ss-3-fs-buying-options-bulls-evo-45-fs.24562/)
I'm finding many of the, for want of a better word, "higher end" bikes that are Class 3 do not have throttle only capability.
These are typically mid drive, Euro centric bikes and given European rules it makes sense throttle operation isn't an option. ie Bulls, Haibike, BESV, Stomer, etc
My question is has anyone found a way to add a throttle to these types of bikes?
This level of bike is what I think I'm after but with recent test rides, I've decided the throttle only feature is a very nice option and something I want on my e-bike.
Thanks.

So I understand correctly, it sounds like you only want the option to
  1. pedal unassisted by the motor
  2. throttle at will
Did I get that right?

You would have to tap into the controller boards in those bikes, and I consider that impossible. Cheap Chinese bikes is much more likely. You just need a replacement controller that has the same protocol language as the display.

I've been searching Class 3 bikes that have throttle only ability.
(This evolution started here, https://electricbikereview.com/foru...ss-3-fs-buying-options-bulls-evo-45-fs.24562/)
I'm finding many of the, for want of a better word, "higher end" bikes that are Class 3 do not have throttle only capability.
These are typically mid drive, Euro centric bikes and given European rules it makes sense throttle operation isn't an option. ie Bulls, Haibike, BESV, Stomer, etc
My question is has anyone found a way to add a throttle to these types of bikes?
This level of bike is what I think I'm after but with recent test rides, I've decided the throttle only feature is a very nice option and something I want on my e-bike.
Thanks.
A throttle assisting above 20 mph puts an ebike in class 4 designation. It wouldn't be legal where class 1, 2 and 3 ebikes ride. That's why class 3 bikes don't have throttles.

https://electricbikereview.com/foru...ic-bike-classes-and-why-do-they-matter.22738/

I don't know what's available in class 4, but since power and speed aren't as limited, you should find what you're after. Court has reviewed some class 4 here:

https://electricridereview.com

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. Let me try again.
--I'm looking for a Class 3 bike (max of 28mph with pedal assist) and also has a throttle.
--The max throttle only speed will be 20mph.
--I'd like the ability to start from a standstill with the throttle only and also be able to assist pedaling with the throttle.
There are more than a few bikes that fit these criteria however my question is "can a throttle be fitted to a Haibike, Bulls, BESV, etc"
--In other words, is there a higher end, higher quality bike that is Class 3 with the ability to use the throttle to 20mph?
While I like spending as little money as the next person, I find I'm attracted to the nicer components and the nicer fit and finish I see with the Haibike/Bulls/Stormer/BESV and other (mostly European) brands.
Thanks.

I didn't know that a Class 4 is defined by any legal entity in the USA. If so, fine.

Class 3 is pedal assist only by definition. No throttle ever, The OP wants a Class 2 that has pedal assist to 28 mph and throttle shut off at 20 mph.

Goofy. Not Farnorth's needs. The classifications are goofy to me.

--I'm looking for a Class 3 bike (max of 28mph with pedal assist) and also has a throttle.
--I'd like the ability to start from a standstill with the throttle only and also be able to assist pedaling with the throttle.
There are more than a few bikes that fit these criteria however my question is "can a throttle be fitted to a Haibike, Bulls, BESV, etc"
--In other words, is there a higher end, higher quality bike that is Class 3 with the ability to use the throttle to 20mph?
While I like spending as little money as the next person, I find I'm attracted to the nicer components and the nicer fit and finish I see with the Haibike/Bulls/Stormer/BESV and other (mostly European) brands.
Thanks.

The quick answer is no since it will void the warranty. I am sure there are people out there who are capable of hacking into the system but losing warranty is something serious to think about especially that you are spending a good amount of money that can potentially fail due to tampering into the system.

Last edited:
I didn't know that a Class 4 is defined by any legal entity in the USA. If so, fine.

Class 3 is pedal assist only by definition. No throttle ever, The OP wants a Class 2 that has pedal assist to 28 mph and throttle shut off at 20 mph.

Goofy. Not Farnorth's needs. The classifications are goofy to me.
It would fall in 4 because it doesn't fit in the other 3. The initial post describes a moped, that's 4. Simple. I don't support the classes, but that was the question asked and answered.

The quick answer is no since it will void the warranty. I am sure there are people out there who are capable of hacking into the system but losing warranty is something serious to think about especially that you are spending a good amount of money that can potentially fail due to tampering into the system.

I'd be interested in hearing about any method for adding a throttle to the aforementioned bikes even if it does void the warranty.

Thanks.

What you are looking for is a class three with built in throttle.

Class 1 : under 750W, limited to 20 mph by PAS
Class 2 : under 750W, limited to 20 mph by throttle (+/-PAS, limited to 20 mph )
Class 3 : under 750W, limitted to 28 mph by PAS (+/- throttle, limitted to 20 mph)
Class 4 : over 750W, over 28 mph, throttle or PAS
https://electricbikereview.com/foru...ic-bike-classes-and-why-do-they-matter.22738/

Class3 with throttle were very common in the past including the hub driven Specialized turbo, early Stromers, Izips, and Raleighs.

Now it is less common on premium brands but are more easily found on the non premium brands. You will still find this feature on the following:

1. Easy motion Nitro
2. Ohm
3. Pedego Ridge rider
4. Smartmotion

However it is easier to find this feature on less premium brands such as the following:

1. Evelo (mid drive)
2. Juicedbikes (online store)
3. FLX (online store, mid drive)
4. Magnum
5. Amego (largely sold online)
6. Surface 604
7. Radpower
8. Voltbike (Enduro model is Mid drive)
9. Biktrix (mid drive) ...... and the list goes on.

Last edited:
What you are looking for is a class three with built in throttle.

Class 1 : under 750W, limited to 20 mph by PAS
Class 2 : under 750W, limited to 20 mph by throttle (+/-PAS, limited to 20 mph )
Class 3 : under 750W, limitted to 28 mph by PAS (+/- throttle, limitted to 20 mph)
Class 4 : over 750W, over 28 mph, throttle or PAS

Class3 with throttle were very common in the past including the hub driven Specialized turbo, early Stromers, Izips, and Raleighs.

Now it is less common on premium brands but are more easily found on the non premium brands. You will still find this feature on the following:

1. Easy motion Nitro
2. Ohm
3. Pedego Interceptor and Ridge rider
4. Smartmotion

However it is easier to find this feature on less premium brands such as the following:

1. Evelo (mid drive)
2. Juicedbikes (online store)
3. FLX (online store, mid drive)
4. Magnum
5. Amego (largely sold online)
6. Surface 604
7. Radpower
8. Voltbike (Enduro model is Mid drive)
9. Biktrix (mid drive) ...... and the list goes on.

Thanks for that!

Thanks.

Look for Bafang's BBS02 on a quality build such as Evelo Aurora..there are others coming now that retailers see the advantages of the Bafang imo.

Thanks.

I'd contact Chris at Propel Bikes in Brooklyn. If anyone can help, he can. They're dealers for Haibike/Bulls/Stromer and many other quality
eBikes......https://propelbikes.com/

Look for Bafang's BBS02 on a quality build such as Evelo Aurora..there are others coming now that retailers see the advantages of the Bafang imo.

Yes, I have a BBS01 motor and rode for a year without the throttle before fitting it and it ran fine on the PAS cadence sensor alone, I appreciated it was that easy to turn my bike from a Class 1 pedelec to a Class 2. BBS02 runs similarly and a 48v 750w version would give you Class 3 Performance and you can set separate PAS and throttle speed limits using a USB programming cable and software on a laptop.

Last edited:
I am a newbie at all of this but my question would be........why not build your own? Mine was advertised as 750W but being a Chinese product and the insights of others, I'm not sure it actually is, but in the end, Irrelevant to me.

I haven't checked the speed accurately yet but with me on it, I'd say in the 20 mph neighborhood. (I weigh 175). With my 130 lb son on it, it's into the 20's easily.

I can pedal assist or run full throttle control. The classifications mean nothing to me though as I ride in an area where people pretty much ignore what others are doing as long as you are not a jerk doing it. More than a couple golf carts cruising the streets visiting the neighbors. A few kids with the electric skate boards. (which seem faster than my bike).

If it was something I was going to ride long distances or rely on as a primary transportation I would be more concerned over a factory bike with warranty. As it is, I have around $450 in my bike. (which includes the cost of upgrading the tires)

I am a newbie at all of this but my question would be........why not build your own? Mine was advertised as 750W but being a Chinese product and the insights of others, I'm not sure it actually is, but in the end, Irrelevant to me.

I haven't checked the speed accurately yet but with me on it, I'd say in the 20 mph neighborhood. (I weigh 175). With my 130 lb son on it, it's into the 20's easily.

I can pedal assist or run full throttle control. The classifications mean nothing to me though as I ride in an area where people pretty much ignore what others are doing as long as you are not a jerk doing it. More than a couple golf carts cruising the streets visiting the neighbors. A few kids with the electric skate boards. (which seem faster than my bike).

If it was something I was going to ride long distances or rely on as a primary transportation I would be more concerned over a factory bike with warranty. As it is, I have around $450 in my bike. (which includes the cost of upgrading the tires)
What kind of battery and range do you have with an all-in $450 bike?

What kind of battery and range do you have with an all-in $450 bike?

I just got the bike together so I haven't taken it on an all out ride yet. It's a 36V 15Ah. I think I paid $204 for it. I paid like $189 for the wheel/controller kit. I had the bike but bought two tires as an upgraded tire.

That said, it was a first attempt. If I had to put a lot of miles on it, would I? No. The old style brakes leave me wanting disc brakes. I plan on giving this to my son and building something better. Still the issue is continuous throttle. My last ride was 90% throttle. I'll build my next one also. I am looking for a lightweight cruiser type of frame. I will go front hub again as I like to be able to use gears on peddle portions. Disc brakes. I think I should be able to do it for $750 ish tops. Seems to me that is appx 1/2 of what a middling pre-built bike costs and it will do what I want it to do.

Back