Accessories that didn’t work out?

David I think you and Alaskan should really put the Rohloff IGH on your "toss it" lists.

Steve, you're tempting me to go off-topic and get into trouble!

SM : 👺
DB : 😇
Dallant : 👮‍♂️

Rohloffs aren't accessories. That said, I take the n+0 approach. One Rohloff is enough.

Think of it the following way, with n being the number of Rohloff-equipped ebikes in the shed:
  • :oops: n-1 — diminishing to zero; too few *
  • :oops: n+1 — exponential; too many
  • :) n+0 — the one I have is sufficient
Of the accessories that are on my 2021 R&M Homage, I think the Fabric water bottle system is the most likely to 'get the toss'! I'd prefer to have traditional water bottle bosses that could accept any type of tool keg, storage bag or water bottle (including Fabric!).

But what of Tannus Armour? 15mm thickness squashed down to 5mm? I'm not convinced of their efficacy so they no longer head my Panacea List.

————————
* I did take the n-1 approach a few years ago and suffered severe withdrawal symptoms during the six-month hiatus between parting with my Airnimal Black Rhino (Rohloff-equipped folder) and acquiring Homage #1. There were, of course, other toys (ebikes: Kalkhoff & Trek; road bikes: Bianchi & Pinarello, plus a bespoke titanium Dean Randonneur) to act as soothing balms during the grieving period.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rohloffs aren't accessories. That said, I take the n+0 approach. One Rohloff is enough.

Think of it the following way, with n being the number of Rohloff-equipped ebikes in the shed:
  • :oops: n-1 — zero; too few
  • :oops: n+1 — too many
  • :) n+0 — just the one; just right
Of the accessories that are on my 2021 R&M Homage, I think the Fabric water bottle system is the most likely to 'get the toss'! I'd prefer to have traditional water bottle bosses that could accept any type of tool keg, storage bag or water bottle (including Fabric!).
Two weeks ago I got my N-0 rating. It is official...my 3 ebikes all have derailleurs and chains now. 2 have the XT 11 speed 11-46 tooth and one is an XTR 12 speed with a 10-51 tooth cassette (with Sram AXS electronic derailleur.) I like having drive trains I can afford to have all replacement parts I might need on hand and that I can maintain, adjust and replace on my own. No delay in getting a bike with a worn out or damaged drive train back on the road, makes cleaning and lubrication well worth the effort.

• :oops: n-1 — zero; too few *
  • :oops: n+1 — exponential; too many
  • :) n+0 — the one I have is sufficient

But what of Tannus Armour? 15mm thickness squashed down to 5mm? I'm not convinced of their efficacy so they no longer head my Panacea List.

————————
* I did take the n-1 approach a few years ago and suffered severe withdrawal symptoms during the six-month hiatus between parting with my Airnimal Black Rhino (Rohloff-equipped folder) and acquiring Homage #1. There were, of course, other toys (ebikes: Kalkhoff & Trek; road bikes: Bianchi & Pinarello, plus a bespoke titanium Dean Randonneur) to act as soothing balms during the grieving period.
Really? I’m the thread cop?
In my book, N+1 means Normal +1 Additional, not too many! So I have an Allant+7 PLUS my new Rail 5.😎

Last edited:
Among cyclists the n+1 rule is a parody of more serious rules from chemistry and computing. It is drawn from the website Velominati:
n+1.jpg

The point of the joke is that no matter how many bikes one owns that number will be 'n' so necessitating the purchase of another… until you have to resort to the s-1 rule.

Last edited by a moderator:
Among cyclists the n+1 rule is a parody of more serious 'rules' from chemistry and computing. It is drawn from the website Velominati:
View attachment 95624
The point of the joke is that no matter how many bikes one owns that number will remain 'n' so necessitating the purchase of another… unless you have to resort to the s-1 rule.
Ahhh, thanks for the official source.

Among cyclists the n+1 rule is a parody of more serious rules from chemistry and computing. It is drawn from the website Velominati:
View attachment 95624
The point of the joke is that no matter how many bikes one owns that number will be 'n' so necessitating the purchase of another… until you have to resort to the s-1 rule.
Goodness me!
  • The current number of e-bikes I own is three;
  • I applied the n+1 rule four times (initially, n=0), leading to the s=4;
  • I applied the s-1 rule once...
:D

This thread, like many, got a little side tracked, but it’s all good.
I love the n+1 one rule.
So much so that the other day I put a down payment on a new Aventon Pace 500. 😃🚴🏼‍♀️😄
It will be my town/errand bike. Easy on & off, a throttle, and I can touch the ground at stops. And I can lift it!!
Now the waiting begins.

Really? I’m the thread cop?
In my book, N+1 means Normal +1 Additional, not too many! So I have an Allant+7 PLUS my new Rail 5.😎
Nice bike! Our local Trek stores sold out of those in the Spring. I much prefer riding my FS bike over my touring bike and I bet you will too because it allows you more escape options from cars and trucks and it handles better and is more comfortable. I feel like my FS bike is my Summer bike and the touring hardtail is my Winter one ( Oh yeah I am off topic again , ...summon the executioner )

Last edited:
Nice bike! Our local Trek stores sold out of those in the Spring. I much prefer riding my FS bike over my touring bike and I bet you will too because they allow you more escape options from cars and trucks and it handles better and is more comfortable. I feel like my FS bike is my Summer bike and the touring hardtail is my Winter one ( Oh yeah I am off topic again , ...summon the executioner )
I never saw a Rail in any store until I picked mine up after buying it over the phone sight unseen.
I love Ridin’ the Rail! I’m still a beginner with EMTB but I’m getting there and loving the options as you mentioned! FS is much easier on my bum shoulder so that’s a huge plus too.
14E6F89D-9559-4DE5-9A5D-7C4AA7826075.jpeg

Accessory that did not work out for Catalyzt = Arm Strap Mobile Phone Holder.

What a PITA-- touch screen didn't work through clear plastic, slipped down sleeve and onto wrist, spun on arm so that screen was facing backwards. Exercise in total frustration.

My solution? Always bring a phone (for me, in a sturdy, nerd-looking holster.)

I never look at it while I'm riding.

my wife broke her ass holder. well bought my wife this saddle around June of last year. never thought about the rails they are TI I would have gotten the steel if I knew I think I got the cheaper one it was 99.00 well the rain snapped on a ride today. it was right behind the clamp. so I was able to push the seat forward till both ends the rail was clamped.
IMG_3258.jpg
IMG_3259.jpeg

FWIW…Ok, so back to this thread with a thought or two about Tannus Armor, discussed earlier in this thread. I put a set on my Allant+7 several months ago with Schwalbe G-Ones (rear only) that I’d had 3 flats in a year with. Got a set put on my wife’s Allant also.
I went well over a month with no flat (mostly on pavement) then found it flat in the garage one morning. Took the tube out to examine and found nothing anywhere but remembered I’d used a patched tube. I put a new tube in and from then on, no flats or leaks. In the last two weeks we’ve been out west riding on lots of fine/heavy gravel, grass, pavement and pretty heavy rock. I’ve been very happy so far and have not messed with letting air out. Keeping tire pressure at 30 psi generally when I usually kept them at 40 w/o Tannus.

Attachments

• BA7B708A-2D1E-4284-8299-0F595CC1FAC1.jpeg
    BA7B708A-2D1E-4284-8299-0F595CC1FAC1.jpeg
    751.1 KB · Views: 156
  • 8C1FEA2F-4FE8-481C-AC59-0DFC6C928EA9.jpeg
    8C1FEA2F-4FE8-481C-AC59-0DFC6C928EA9.jpeg
    823.9 KB · Views: 166
  • 5B0806DC-8363-48D6-A2EB-22D25E4C9547.jpeg
    5B0806DC-8363-48D6-A2EB-22D25E4C9547.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 179
  • F495FFA9-7BD2-45FB-A89F-E0D46924058D.jpeg
    F495FFA9-7BD2-45FB-A89F-E0D46924058D.jpeg
    645.5 KB · Views: 152
l bought my wife this saddle around June of last year. never thought about the rails they are TI I would have gotten the steel if I knew I think I got the cheaper one it was 99.00 well the rain snapped on a ride today. it was right behind the clamp. so I was able to push the seat forward till both ends the rail was clamped.
Selle is selling imitation steel rails? I'm glad my Selle royale respiro saddle was stolen, then.
I'm riding a Evo cruiser 260 mm x 218 mm saddle now. $32 whole dollars. Made in TW. 5 months down, no problems. But I'm only 160 lb these days. Was 162 lb on the selle. Selle Foam was too hard on my hips; took it off & parked it in the garage.
On the N+1 rule, I'm down to zero e-bikes since 7/14 rain burnt the pin off an ASI controller. Struggling to solder a white hall effect connector on a bafang motor whose juli connector matched nothing on earth. 4th motor though. #1 was 1000 W DD, too hard to pedal unpowered. #2 was a 1300 W ebikeling geared hub, wore gears out 2nd year. #3 was a Mac12t, had a bad clutch that engaged sometimes from day one, and now has a burnt off pin from the ASI controller in the harness. #4 will be a bafang 500 w, maybe if I managed to solder on pins made to be crimped with a $400 air tool.
On the worthless accessory front, got 2 miles out of a $60 Panaracer XC tire before it fell off the rim & blew the tube. Shipped flat, just like those worthless roll up schwinn tires for $22 at the grocery store. Modernbike should have warned me; I'd never have bought a tire shipped flat. LBS had $26 Giant knobbie that worked fine.

Last edited:
Back