Accessories that didn’t work out?

My Knog Oi bike bell.
It was well reviewed both here on EBR and Amazon. It cost $40 and lasted half a season before it broke. I was able to repair it but it never was loud enough to be of much use.
Yeah you nailed it! Nobody can hear me coming. It has a sweet long tone best suited to doing some Zen meditation or something like that :) but it is just not loud enough. That is one item I would return if I could.

I would love to see a pic of the folding helmet?
Here you go Steve
1627654642650.png

cycliq tail light camera

wanted to love this but complicated updates and use, they tell you not to use any charging wire than the one that came with it, sd card must be wiped a good bit, lot of little maintenance stuff that seemed over the top
the first one locked up somehow and the company was great in standing by their product and sending me a new one

but decided a small gopro will be better/easier

i have the garmin varia, not sure which model
it has the taillight and i love it

So continuing along with the theme, I have now ceased using a good Wildman handlebar bag on my Trek Rail 5. The bag is great, with lots of room, pockets, and good watertight zippers. The problem is the bracket used to hold the bag has ended up abrading the hydraulic brake cables. Nothing major but I’m going to find another option to hold my Rail‘s tire patch kit. I’ll find another use for the Wildman bag or sell it.
2D163BDD-EF5E-4F0E-B24C-BCA20F6444B7.jpeg
880E1009-FAA8-4F6B-A998-32DB1905433B.jpeg
278F6F3A-A51B-4CC4-A281-9CDB772084A9.jpeg

That is something I should probably keep an eye on with one of bikes that has an ortlieb front bag..
Thanks for pointing that out and the pics

So continuing along with the theme, I have now ceased using a good Wildman handlebar bag on my Trek Rail 5. The bag is great, with lots of room, pockets, and good watertight zippers. The problem is the bracket used to hold the bag has ended up abrading the hydraulic brake cables. Nothing major but I’m going to find another option to hold my Rail‘s tire patch kit. I’ll find another use for the Wildman bag or sell it.View attachment 95387View attachment 95389View attachment 95388
In the pic it looks like you have some lines running through the bag mount? Is the one that is damaged one of those?

That is something I should probably keep an eye on with one of bikes that has an ortlieb front bag..
Thanks for pointing that out and the pics
Given how the cables can rub on and shake against a bracket like that, it’s certainly worth watching. My Trek guy gave me a raft for even having a bag like that on an EMTB as he was removing it. But he was clear he didn’t think there was any real damage given there’s braided cable underneath the covering.

So continuing along with the theme, I have now ceased using a good Wildman handlebar bag on my Trek Rail 5. The bag is great, with lots of room, pockets, and good watertight zippers. The problem is the bracket used to hold the bag has ended up abrading the hydraulic brake cables. Nothing major but I’m going to find another option to hold my Rail‘s tire patch kit. I’ll find another use for the Wildman bag or sell it.View attachment 95387View attachment 95389View attachment 95388
I had the same issue with my Arkel handlebar bag. It isn't so much the design of the bag but rather the cable routing that causes the problem.

In my case, the solution was to use spiral cable wrap to eliminate the abrasion.

Given how the cables can rub on and shake against a bracket like that, it’s certainly worth watching. My Trek guy gave me a raft for even having a bag like that on an EMTB as he was removing it. But he was clear he didn’t think there was any real damage given there’s braided cable underneath the covering.
Bahh ,that is his worthless opinion about the front bag. Next time he will tell you it should not really have a motor. It is your bike and you can dress it up any way you like but maybe the cables should not go through the bracket? I am just spitballing here (-:

Last edited:
In the pic it looks like you have some lines running through the bag mount? Is the one that is damaged one of those?
I assume so. I had taken the bag off before noticing the damage. I tried to give the cables as much room to move as possible when I installed the bracket.

Bahh ,that is his worthless opinion about the front bag. Next time he will tell you it should not really have a motor. It is your bike and you can dress it up any way you like but maybe the cables should not go through the bracket? I am just spitballing here (-:
He was just giving me some crap. He’s an analog mtb’er so I’m used to it. The more I looked at it (before I showed him) the more I realized it’s hard to put that bracket on without it rubbing that cable.

I assume so. I had taken the bag off before noticing the damage. I tried to give the cables as much room to move as possible when I installed the bracket.
When I put my handlebar bag on I noticed that they were more or less likely to rub depending where I put the cables , then tested them by standing over the bike and making wide turns with the bars. Please do not take offense if this seems rudimentary to you. When it comes to things mechanical ,nothing is rudimentary to me.

ya its a pretty dumb idea the videos I see people are bouncing around like in a bouncy house.
Dang. I guess I got lucky. I'm apparently the only one who just plugged it in and it worked with minimal adjustment to its preload one time.
One of the things I failed to mention in my post above is that my trust in Tannus Armour was conclusively diminished when I had to fix my first flat with a tire that had it installed. It was not the fact that I had the flat. I was that the armour had become so compressed that it was only around 3 0r 4 mm thick through the tread part and it is just foam not an aramid or kevlar layer like Mr. Toughy.
I have seen pictures of it worn to being paper-thin. I just pulled a wheel apart that had Tannus in for 1000 miles and it was still pretty thick. I stopped using Tuffy. Its not what it once was in decades past. Mine achieved a 0% success rate on nails and I abandoned it for sealant. FlatOut is the best. Kyle @ Bolton just did a side by side review and he shows *exactly* what Tuffy's limit is, and how head/shoulders better FlatOut is, to his surprise. I also use it for a tubeless sealant and it is way better than Stans or Orange Seal.

i haven’t tried traditional “clips” of any kind, i’m guessing they don’t provide the kind of positive connection that makes being clipped in so satisfying.
oh no... when you are in with 'clips and straps' and you use the cleats of the day... you are in... period. To get out you reach down to your foot and pinch the lever/buckle to loosen the strap so you can lift the cleat up and off the pedal edge its locked to. I do not miss cleats that I had to actually nail into the soles of my shoe one bit. Come to think of it, there were wooden soled shoes back then too. For stiffness. Blech.

FAILS

- Titanium crankarm bolts. One snapped which was the end of that bottom bracket. Whyyy did I think titanium would be a good thing down there? Stupid.

- A GoPro Hero5 Session. Garbage. Overheated just sitting without doing anything. Superheated when it was running. Would not connect to anything reliably. Returned it, thankfully.

- Tires. I am never satisfied. I have a stack of them with 80% tread in the garage. I've at least recognized I have a problem and am trying to go thru them and use them up.

- C/F handlebars. Only had to see one break once to know I don't need that to happen to me.

- C/F seatpost. That one did break on me. But thankfully it did so in the shop and not when I was doing a big drop or something similarly enema-like.

- Battery from a vendor I should have done more due diligence on. Turns out their batteries are made by UPP and white-labeled. The pack wore out really fast and based on how I charge and discharge it should still be perfect.

- I never should have used a seatpost rack to hold a battery. I picked a strong rack, but it was a constant PITA to keep adjusted and centered. Seatpost racks on FS bikes suck period.

I’m sure there’s a way to cover/block those cables from damage but I’m not wanting to push my luck!

Put a wrap of electric tape over it?

Put a wrap of electric tape over it?
Ultimately, should I decide I have to use the bag, I‘ll figure something OTHER than electric tape to use. That stuff gets way too sticky/messy in the sun. I might try to wrap the bracket itself with something like thin handlebar tape or something.

Back