Accessories that didn’t work out?

fly pedals.

these are like a lightweight half pedal that you attach cleats to, and then clip onto your clipless pedals if you feel like riding them as platform pedals. i love my speedplay pedals for serious riding, but sometimes i just want to hop on or take the road bike to work without the shoes. this seemed ideal, but in practice...

1) they're very hard to attach, although i'm getting better at it
2) they feel really wierd, like they rotate and slide around a lot and i have no confidence standing up on them or even pedaling hard
3) they always land upside down, so every start requires careful toe flipping of the pedals, defeating the purpose
4) inexplicably, half the screws on one cleat came out
5) i managed to "unclip" the pedal on my left foot in the last ride i took with them.

1627594702741.png

If you noticed that the tire is not seated properly on the rim and has a bad wobble then that is likely the fault of the mechanic at the LBS as it could mean they have blown the tire casing. It probably has little to do with the Tannus inserts and more to do with whoever mounted the tire. I had that happen to me. I did not complain too loudly about it though as that LBS has been very good to me.
It’s a brand new bike. I was a little miffed that they clearly didn’t test ride or even bother to spin the wheel. If I had picked it up in person I would have pointed it out. I’m this case, the bike is so big I couldn’t pick it up myself and it had to be trucked 40m to my house from the LBS. I hope I can sort it out on the weekend.

fly pedals.

these are like a lightweight half pedal that you attach cleats to, and then clip onto your clipless pedals if you feel like riding them as platform pedals. i love my speedplay pedals for serious riding, but sometimes i just want to hop on or take the road bike to work without the shoes. this seemed ideal, but in practice...

1) they're very hard to attach, although i'm getting better at it
2) they feel really wierd, like they rotate and slide around a lot and i have no confidence standing up on them or even pedaling hard
3) they always land upside down, so every start requires careful toe flipping of the pedals, defeating the purpose
4) inexplicably, half the screws on one cleat came out
5) i managed to "unclip" the pedal on my left foot in the last ride i took with them.

View attachment 94808
I am no expert on clipless pedals but I used to have a road bike with metal toe clips and leather straps. I kept the straps really loose so I could get in and out quickly. I do not see those anymore ,they seem to have fallen out of fashion? Did you ever have or try those?

We support and sell BBSHD motors. Capable of 30-35 MPH. Personally an overwhelmingly high speed and the wrong choice for for bikes with subpar braking. I’m certain there will be more regulations somewhere down the line.
I saw a guy blow by me on a crowded multi-use path yesterday and he was flying. These guys will prompt that legislation because they use poor judgement deciding when to let loose and when to slow their roll.

I am no expert on clipless pedals but I used to have a road bike with metal toe clips and leather straps. I kept the straps really loose so I could get in and out quickly. I do not see those anymore ,they seem to have fallen out of fashion? Did you ever have or try those?
i haven’t tried traditional “clips” of any kind, i’m guessing they don’t provide the kind of positive connection that makes being clipped in so satisfying. i’m actually starting to realize that one of my reasons for not always clipping in - it being hard to unclip - may be that there’s something slightly wrong with my right pedal or cleat, left one unclips much easier!

Yes. Better mileage, and lower speeds. One of several flayed skin spots. Road rash! Rethinking riding in shorts...

View attachment 94800

I thought I would give these a try. Turns out I don’t even notice them anymore. Of course it’s not the greatest protection for speed, but it does provide an ablative layer to protect pointy parts like knees.

this is a little weird one the kinekt seat post work great on my commuter after 10,000 miles it has a little slop and it makes some creaking noise. I got a good deal on a slightly used one and installed it. that one the tension screw gets tighter as I ride till it has no suspension. kinda weird but fixed with locktite. but I thought I had a loose bolt on the seat clamp after I removed the seat from the old one. so figure I would put it on our e tandem. my wife has one and it works well for her. but with no change in the setup and the exact same saddle as my commuter. but I am bobbing up and down with it. I down peddle as hard o the tandem and I may be a few pounds higher as I am not wearing work clothes but I never had that when wearing the same clothes on my commuter.

Almost had to chuck my Spurcycle bell into the bin. Was a major PITA to install. After about 30 minutes, and three band changes, I finally got it on and positioned where I want.

What an absolute delight to use!

Almost had to chuck my Spurcycle bell into the bin. Was a major PITA to install. After about 30 minutes, and three band changes, I finally got it on and positioned where I want.

What an absolute delight to use!
Had them on a couple of scooters they did not survive.

i got a folding / collapsing helmet that is incredibly uncomfortable. it literally has a protrusion of hard foam right in the middle of the forehead. awful.

I think you can still find them in more modern form. Their cage is made of some flexible plastic, no straps anymore. I rode in them 2013-2018, and never had issues with fast unclipping.

Metal toeclips are still available in fine chromed spring steel as well as leather toe straps. They work well and allow fast unclipping (getting your feet out) if you set them up for that. There are still a few sources for slot cleats too, some that can be attached to contemporary cleated cycle shoes, both 2 hole SPD pattern and 3 hole Look pattern. And yes, like Steve said, toeclips/straps are out of fashion most places. Both flat pedals and most clipless pedal systems work well too. It's hard to go wrong with pedals for whatever preference.

My Knog Oi bike bell.
It was well reviewed both here on EBR and Amazon. It cost $40 and lasted half a season before it broke. I was able to repair it but it never was loud enough to be of much use.
a $40 mechanical bell should have been a warning in it self.

I've mentioned this here several times in other threads. .but this is by far one of my favorite accessories. It's sound travels far and is unmistakable. It can give a soft hello or a loud warning depending on how far you push the plunger and it is guaranteed to make a kid smile if you give them a triple as you pass.
I think I paid $1 delivered and I use it several times every ride.

a $40 mechanical bell should have been a warning in it self.

I've mentioned this here several times in other threads. .but this is by far one of my favorite accessories. It's sound travels far and is unmistakable. It can give a soft hello or a loud warning depending on how far you push the plunger and it is guaranteed to make a kid smile if you give them a triple as you pass.
I think I paid $1 delivered and I use it several times every ride.
Sure, there are many cheap bike bells out there. I've got a dozen or more laying around. The Knog Oi caught my attention due to it's compact size and elegant looks. It takes up very little space and fits in with the sleek look of the handlebars. It's made of solid brass and stainless steel. The workmanship and detail are the reason for the high cost. I figured I'd give it a try and return it to Amazon if I didn't like it. Unfortunately, it lasted just long enough to be un-returnable.

As I said above, I was able to repair the broken spring and still use the product but it wasn't what I had hoped it would be. Not a total waste but certainly not worth $40.

Sure, there are many cheap bike bells out there. I've got a dozen or more laying around. The Knog Oi caught my attention due to it's compact size and elegant looks. It takes up very little space and fits in with the sleek look of the handlebars. It's made of solid brass and stainless steel. The workmanship and detail are the reason for the high cost. I figured I'd give it a try and return it to Amazon if I didn't like it. Unfortunately, it lasted just long enough to be un-returnable.

As I said above, I was able to repair the broken spring and still use the product but it wasn't what I had hoped it would be. Not a total waste but certainly not worth $40.
I hear ya.... Form can be as important as function. But simplicity and time tested are also a considerations. But most importantly, it really does its job and gets people's attention
My bell does take up a bit more bar real-estate but I think it's worth it... Hell I'd even pay the increased $2 current price tag 🙃
IMAG1121~2.jpg

Back