Bafang bbs02 54 chain ring.

Tony54

Hi,
I find I am only using the 3 top gears on my 750w bike but on a flat road I'm in the smallest rear cog most of the time and my cadence is about 75.
It feels like I need to increase my chain ring from the current 52 to 54.
Has anyone come across a 54 chain ring for the BBS 02.
I don't do any cross country or very steep hills, it's normally canal roads.
Thanks for reading.
Tony

Haven't seen one.
What's your smallest gear in the rear? Might be an easier find.
How many gear?
Freewheel or cassette?

Hi, Thanks for your reply. My rear cassette is 11 to 34 So no scope to change the gear ratio there.
I'm surprised no one else has encountered this problem with the 500w and bigger motors.

Mine was running 46t to a 13-28 and I found it very usable to I believe 28mph
Tried a 48t and 11-28 but ended up going back as I live with a lot of hills.

Hi Tomasz,
Why do you say that, most of my journeys are not hilly and on good canal paths.
I'm in the highest gear most of the time with s cadence of 75, and for hills and setting off I only need to go down by 2 or 3 gears.
I would prefer to pedal at a slightly lower casence as I'm not a spring chicken.
And yes, I know that the bbs02 needs to be used at high revs but the torque on a 750 watts is really high.
I've realised that I should have bought the bshd motor has which has higher gearing.
I'm very, very happy with the bbs02 but my cadence in the highest gear,at 75 is too high, for me, and going down a slight decline Im spinning like an athlete in a spinning class.

Hi Tomasz,
I'm in the highest gear most of the time with s cadence of 75, and for hills and setting off I only need to go down by 2 or 3 gears.
I would prefer to pedal at a slightly lower casence as I'm not a spring chicken.
And yes, I know that the bbs02 needs to be used at high revs but the torque on a 750 watts is really high.
I've realised that I should have bought the bshd motor has which has higher gearing.
I'm very, very happy with the bbs02 but my cadence in the highest gear,at 75 is too high, for me, and going down a slight decline Im spinning like an athlete in a spinning class.
What speed are you looking to travel at?
Do you have a UART or CANbus BBS
If UART, have you made any programming changes?

Munduato,
Thanks for asking, it's not the speed I want it's just that I want a slightly slower cadence when I'm cruising.
I have accepted that I will have to live with the slight problem.

Ok... But if you have a UART BBS you can change settings to make it do what you want.
Each PAS is a cadence set point... so you set the PAS to the cadence you want to maintain.

edit:
Have you read this thread or similar ones?
BBS*** Settings for a Smoother Ride

This is mid thread but if you have an UART Controller maybe start at the beginning if you have time to get some background and feedback.

Last edited:
Ok... But if you have a UART BBS you can change settings to make it do what you want.
Each PAS is a cadence set point... so you set the PAS to the cadence you want to maintain.

edit:
Have you read this thread or similar ones?
BBS*** Settings for a Smoother Ride

This is mid thread but if you have an UART Controller maybe start at the beginning if you have time to get some background and feedback.

Hi,
I did and still might have the programming cable but never got round to using it..
I will have a look at the forum on programming you mentioned.
Thanks Tony

Hi,
I did and still might have the programming cable but never got round to using it..
I will have a look at the forum on programming you mentioned.
Thanks Tony
Well there's your solution. Stock programming is far too aggressive and with way too much ghost pedaling built in.
Tune it down and if you think you like it now... You'll be blown away once you customize it to your style.
Keep in mind what works for one person and their bike might not be perfect for you as there are so many variables. But once you understand the settings you'll easily achieve what you want.

Hi Tomasz,
It puts a lot of stress on the motor. I've sold, run, supported, and daily ride BBSxx motors. The 01 and 02 versions can fairly easily overheat.

Back