Zen Photon Pro- Preorder | 1040Wh UL Certified battery | 500W nominal/900W peak power Torque-sensing motor w/ Throttle | USD 2999 | CAD 3999

Kriti Yad

Region
Canada
City
Halifax
Hi EBR Community,

We are thrilled about the Second Production Run of our pioneering Zen Photon E-bike as we re-debut this super reliable and low maintenance E-bike at an unmatched Pre-order deal:
For USA based customers, Photon is now available for pre-order for just US$2999! Secure your e-bike by paying a US$999 deposit and pay the remainder upon shipment.
For Canada based customers, pre-order price is just $CAD 3999! Reserve with $CAD 1100, and pay the balance when it ships.

At it's heart, Photon's design is a synergy between a belt-drive and an Internal gear hub, a pairing that epitomizes low maintenance without compromising on efficiency. To complement this, we've installed a long-range battery and a torque-sensing motor complete with throttle, features that our customers ardently requested.
Before unveiling the Photon Pro to the market, we engaged in rigorous testing of several prototypes over a full year. The result? Unwavering confidence in its performance, promising a seamless ride every time. Zen Photon Pro is an E-bike with unprecedented long lasting performance, reliability and low maintenance.

SPECIFICATIONS:
Motor : Zen 500 W, 120 Nm Mid Drive
UL Certified Battery : 52 V; 20 Ah ; 1040 Wh Integrated Battery
Charger : 4A UL-certified charger
Rear Hub: Enviolo Heavy Duty 380
Shifter Rear : Enviolo Pro
Frame : Hydroformed Aluminum 6061
Brake : Tektro E725 Hydraulic Disc Brakes With E-Cutoff (4-pistons)
Fork :RST Aerial 27.5" x 2.6", 120mm
Travel - Boost Spacing, Air Suspension With Lockout
Tire : Schwalbe Supermoto 27.5”x 2.4”
Drivetrain : Gates Belt Drive, 55T (Front-sprocket) - 22T (Rear-Cog)
Speed : Max 32Km/hr (Canada)/ 45Km/hr (USA)
Seat Post: Custom Suspension seat post
Assist levels : 5
Color : Electric Blue, Charcoal Grey, Cream
Throttle : Yes/ Thumb Throttle
Warranty : 3 Yrs
Lights : 200 Lumens
Display : LCD K-DISP 686 with usb-c charge port

Pre-Orders LIVE Now!
https://zenebikes.com/ (USA). https://zenebikes.ca/ (Canada)

We welcome dealers to carry this model throughout the US/Canada and offer generous margins so they can thrive in this tough direct-to-customer market.

Kri,
Zen Ebikes Team
1706665918270.png

Last edited:
Are there photos of the “electric blue” model? It lists that here, but the preorder page does not list that as an option or have pictures of it.

Can you clarify what the changes are to the original Photon model from last year vs. the Photon Pro model for 2024, if any?

That's a great looking e-bike! Love to see the 3 year warranty too. My current e-bike is running just fine, but once it starts to go down, I'm looking to get a bike just like this one. Meets all my needs as a city commuter! Is there anywhere in Western Illinois that I could arrange a test ride?

Are there photos of the “electric blue” model? It lists that here, but the preorder page does not list that as an option or have pictures of it.

Can you clarify what the changes are to the original Photon model from last year vs. the Photon Pro model for 2024, if any?

We can answer that.
  1. 2024 model will have 4-piston Tektro E-725 brakes with 203 mm rotors both front and rear.
  2. It wil have full UL-certification from UL itself. Many companies get this "certification" or "testing" from third party agencies like SGS or TuV but we worked with UL directly to get the batteries certified to UL-2271
  3. We are harmonizing the battery across all our models and this will have 52V, 20Ah pack but the outer casing slightly different from our 2023 model.
  4. We have reinforced the frame with cross members on the downtube to make it very rigid and this frame no flex and this flexural rigidity is important for high speeds.
  5. It comes with Enviolo heavy duty hub but it can be spec'ed with Manual Rohloff-14 speed gear hub.

1703272478104.png

Hi @etchlings

For this year's Photon line-up, the colour options are Grey, White, and Lime Green, replacing the previously mentioned Electric Blue. Our team is working on adding these to the website too.

For the differences between last year's Photon and the 2024 Photon Pro, Along with the UL certified battery and robust 4-piston front and rear brakes that Ravi mentioned, we've reinforced the frame strength. Additionally, the aesthetics of the bike have received a stylish upgrade, enhancing its overall look and feel.
1703274034550.png
1703274065485.png

Hi EBR Community,

We are thrilled about the Second Production Run of our pioneering Zen Photon E-bike as we re-debut this super reliable and low maintenance E-bike at an unmatched Pre-order deal:
For USA based customers, Photon is now available for pre-order for just US$2999! Secure your e-bike by paying a US$999 deposit and pay the remainder upon shipment.
For Canada based customers, pre-order price is just $CAD 3999! Reserve with $CAD 1100, and pay the balance when it ships.

At it's heart, Photon's design is a synergy between a belt-drive and an Internal gear hub, a pairing that epitomizes low maintenance without compromising on efficiency. To complement this, we've installed a long-range battery and a torque-sensing motor complete with throttle, features that our customers ardently requested.
Before unveiling the Photon Pro to the market, we engaged in rigorous testing of several prototypes over a full year. The result? Unwavering confidence in its performance, promising a seamless ride every time. Zen Photon Pro is an E-bike with unprecedented long lasting performance, reliability and low maintenance.

SPECIFICATIONS:
Motor : Zen 500 W, 120 Nm Mid Drive
UL Certified Battery : 52 V; 20 Ah ; 1040 Wh Integrated Battery
Charger : 4A UL-certified charger
Rear Hub: Enviolo Heavy Duty 380
Shifter Rear : Enviolo Pro
Frame : Hydroformed Aluminum 6061
Brake : Tektro E725 Hydraulic Disc Brakes With E-Cutoff (4-pistons)
Fork :RST Aerial 27.5" x 2.6", 120mm
Travel - Boost Spacing, Air Suspension With Lockout
Tire : Schwalbe Supermoto 27.5”x 2.4”
Drivetrain : Gates Belt Drive, 55T (Front-sprocket) - 22T (Rear-Cog)
Speed : Max 32Km/hr (Canada)/ 45Km/hr (USA)
Seat Post: Custom Suspension seat post
Assist levels : 5
Color : Electric Blue, Charcoal Grey, Cream
Throttle : Yes/ Thumb Throttle
Warranty : 3 Yrs
Lights : 200 Lumens
Display : LCD K-DISP 686 with usb-c charge port

Pre-Orders LIVE Now!
https://zenebikes.com/ (USA). https://zenebikes.ca/ (Canada)

We welcome dealers to carry this model throughout the US/Canada and offer generous margins so they can thrive in this tough direct-to-customer market.

Kri,
Zen Ebikes Team
View attachment 167213 View attachment 167218
Nices specs.

We can answer that.
  1. 2024 model will have 4-piston Tektro E-725 brakes with 203 mm rotors both front and rear.
  2. It wil have full UL-certification from UL itself. Many companies get this "certification" or "testing" from third party agencies like SGS or TuV but we worked with UL directly to get the batteries certified to UL-2271
  3. We are harmonizing the battery across all our models and this will have 52V, 20Ah pack but the outer casing slightly different from our 2023 model.
  4. We have reinforced the frame with cross members on the downtube to make it very rigid and this frame no flex and this flexural rigidity is important for high speeds.
  5. It comes with Enviolo heavy duty hub but it can be spec'ed with Manual Rohloff-14 speed gear hub.

View attachment 168343
Hi @etchlings

For this year's Photon line-up, the colour options are Grey, White, and Lime Green, replacing the previously mentioned Electric Blue. Our team is working on adding these to the website too.

For the differences between last year's Photon and the 2024 Photon Pro, Along with the UL certified battery and robust 4-piston front and rear brakes that Ravi mentioned, we've reinforced the frame strength. Additionally, the aesthetics of the bike have received a stylish upgrade, enhancing its overall look and feel.
View attachment 168347 View attachment 168348

Ok, thank you, both! Some really thoughtful and safe upgrades. I’m appreciating the frame changes and the brake system update. UL is of course awesome (and soon to be necessary in so many markets). Really looking forward to this update. Seems like a genuine evolution without shaking things up needlessly.

That lime green is gonna be a great color.

Oh wow. The new Photon 2024 looks great. It pretty much has everything I want now.
From the render it looks like the rear rack is now integrated and has pannier hanger. Looks a lot stronger, too.
I best start saving.

How much does the 2024 Medium sized Photon weigh?

It’s got some heft to it. The large 52V, 20Ah battery 🔋, Enviolo heavy duty CVT hub, reinforced frame all contribute to the weight.

With 20Ah battery on the bike, front rack installed, Schwalbe Super Moto X tires, it weighs 74lbs.

Without the front racks, using Schwalbe Johnny Watts tires, 15Ah battery, the weight drops to 69.5lbs.

Forgot to mention. The front light on the Photon has been updated as well. This now comes with 400 lumen light instead of 200 lumen. It also has daytime running lights for visibility.
So, with two CREE LED bulbs, the light provides ample luminous flux for night time riding.

View attachment 168474

View attachment 168472
Is the rear rack space mounted with a taillight by default?
I’m just assuming it has the same rear light as its launch model?

When is the website getting updated? Current pictures, specs and colors?
I’m curious too. Because right now you can’t actually preorder all the options (color or otherwise) for 2024 model, as the site seems limited to the specs and options from 2023.

When is the website getting updated? Current pictures, specs and colors?

The website will be updated by the end of this week. We will have a new page for 2024.

I’m curious too. Because right now you can’t actually preorder all the options (color or otherwise) for 2024 model, as the site seems limited to the specs and options from 2023.
We will have 3 colors - starlight white, carbon grey, and beryl green (line green)
You can still pre-order this and put in a note mentioning the specifics.

The year 2023 has been very turbulent for the E-bike industry with well-known companies in the EU folding and several smaller brands in the North American market facing difficulties.
It is precisely in these times that communication becomes very important.
We are firmly on track to deliver Photon Pro bikes starting March 2024. Just this morning, our supply chain team was working on booking the vessel for frames and battery equipment.

If any of our prospective customers have questions, please don't hesitate to reach out to me or our team.
Ravi Kempaiah: 782-640-0073
Kriti : 782-446-1714

Companies exist to serve customers and we want to make sure our customers get the best possible product and service.

Somewhat irrationaly, I have fallen in love with the belt drive, IGH, mid-drive motor setup.

Background: I began riding in the late 1980's. Recreational "charity tours" of 60-100 miles. Easily did 1000 miles per month for fun/fitness. Took a few years off and then got into MTB riding. This led to MTB racing in my 40's. 20 miles sprints and 60-100 mile marathons. I loved it. Was pretty good with a few trophies still laying around.

Now, I'm over 60. Gained WAY too much weight. Bad knees.

And...

I want to bike again.

I envision getting into shape to handle longer rides. Maybe even doing something like a RAGBRAI. Maybe taking my big lab around in a trailer to go work him out in new areas.

I have looked at the Evelo Omega, Ride1Up Prodigy and the Priority Current. I like the distance possibilities with the Omega. Haven't found the team there to be the most communicative. Ride1Up pretty much blew themselves out with a bad response. Priority? Still in the running.

With all of this said, the Photon looks perfect for this.

I like the specs. The step through. The fact it's NOT a fat tire bike. (Don't understand this phenomena...at all.)

What has been the experience of owners on long rides?

What is the total weight capacity of rider/cargo?

Thanks.

Somewhat irrationaly, I have fallen in love with the belt drive, IGH, mid-drive motor setup.

Background: I began riding in the late 1980's. Recreational "charity tours" of 60-100 miles. Easily did 1000 miles per month for fun/fitness. Took a few years off and then got into MTB riding. This led to MTB racing in my 40's. 20 miles sprints and 60-100 mile marathons. I loved it. Was pretty good with a few trophies still laying around.

Now, I'm over 60. Gained WAY too much weight. Bad knees.

And...

I want to bike again.

I envision getting into shape to handle longer rides. Maybe even doing something like a RAGBRAI. Maybe taking my big lab around in a trailer to go work him out in new areas.

I have looked at the Evelo Omega, Ride1Up Prodigy and the Priority Current. I like the distance possibilities with the Omega. Haven't found the team there to be the most communicative. Ride1Up pretty much blew themselves out with a bad response. Priority? Still in the running.

With all of this said, the Photon looks perfect for this.

I like the specs. The step through. The fact it's NOT a fat tire bike. (Don't understand this phenomena...at all.)

What has been the experience of owners on long rides?

What is the total weight capacity of rider/cargo?

Thanks.
This may be of interest if you haven’t gone through the sub forum for Zen in its entirety.

I also don’t quite understand the fat tire trend. Sure it makes a cushier ride, but at loss of efficiency and not as well as shocks would do? But I’ve never owned a fat bike so maybe I’m missing something.

I owned a Current. It was nice! Priority is super responsive when I contact them. I still own an C. onyx I converted to electric. But the battery capacity and great components on the Photon def seem a step up. I’m seriously considering it for my next ebike.

Back