Zen Photon Pro- Preorder | 1040Wh UL Certified battery | 500W nominal/900W peak power Torque-sensing motor w/ Throttle | USD 2999 | CAD 3999

I wonder how good is throttle on Photon ? Sometimes, I feel lazy and want to use throttle. I am just 165 lbs and don't have very steep hills in San Diego CA.

Also, do you guys charge California Tax ?

I wonder how good is throttle on Photon ? Sometimes, I feel lazy and want to use throttle. I am just 165 lbs and don't have very steep hills in San Diego CA.

Also, do you guys charge California Tax ?

There is NO California tax because of the Canada - USA free trade agreement.
The throttle response is smooth and not too overpowering. We have tuned the pedal assist to be quite powerful, so you may find that much more pleasant compared to the throttle.

There is NO California tax because of the Canada - USA free trade agreement.
The throttle response is smooth and not too overpowering. We have tuned the pedal assist to be quite powerful, so you may find that much more pleasant compared to the throttle.
Thanks Ravi.
Any way this bike can have automatic?
I have enviolo automatiq in my bike and it is awesome.

Yes. The enviolo heavy duty can be replaced with enviolo automatiq.
It’s not a replacement tho, is it? The automatiq attachment merely operates between the handle shifter and the hub gearbox. The hub would remain the heavy duty model, right?

Just chiming in because automatiq was an upgrade I was interested in as well.

It’s not a replacement tho, is it? The automatiq attachment merely operates between the handle shifter and the hub gearbox. The hub would remain the heavy duty model, right?

Just chiming in because automatiq was an upgrade I was interested in as well.
@etchlings Yes, you're correct .Thank you for adding to the conversation. Makes me realize I should have drafted the response in a better way! 😅

I’d also be interested in the automatiq option. Or at least discussing it further. I also have no idea of the cost of that option. Can you share please?

BTW, when is the site getting updated with actual images of the 2024 model? I’d really like to see actual images of the 2024 model rather than renders and to see the actual paint colors, particularly the green and white.

Thx.

The website will be updated by the end of this week. We will have a new page for 2024.

We will have 3 colors - starlight white, carbon grey, and beryl green (line green)
You can still pre-order this and put in a note mentioning the specifics.
I'm confused:
Photon "base" model.
Photon Pro, Replacing the base model?
Photon Elite, I swear I've seen this model mentioned before.
Photon Ultra, The custom order version.
Otherwise I'm still waiting for the updates on the website.

Last edited:
Exciting Update from Zen Ebikes: Photon Series On Track for March 2024 Delivery

Hello EBR Community,

In these turbulent times for the Ebike industry, open communication becomes more crucial than ever. We deeply value the trust you place in us and are committed to maintaining it.

The Photon series launch is right on schedule for March 2024! To keep you all in the loop, we're sharing behind-the-scenes images of the Photon Pro and Pure models in production.

Photon Nomenclature Update:
For our 2024 lineup, we're launching the Photon series, with 4 Ebike models: Photon Mini, Photon Pure, Photon Pro, and Photon Ultra. Our aim is to simplify the naming system, making it easier for customers to understand each model's progression and features, much like what's seen in the mobile industry with brands like Apple and Samsung.

Photon Mini: A compact, folding Ebike with a torque sensor, hydraulic disc brakes, and throttle.
Photon Pure: Powerful hub-drive Ebike with a torque sensor, hydraulic brakes, and quality suspension, with 2 battery options 15Ah and 20Ah (UL certified).
Photon Pro: A super low maintenance Mid-drive Ebike with torque sensor, Gates Carbon belt, and Enviolo HD internal gear hub. It comes with a UL-certified 1040 Wh battery and 4-piston brakes.
Photon Ultra: A premium Ebike with mid-drive Bafang Ultra motor, UL-certified battery, Rohloff 14-speed hub, and Gates belt drive, offering the ultimate in performance and reliability.

Photon Pure & Pro Manufacturing Update:
  • The Photon Pure (hub drive w/ Torque sensor), and the Pro (Zen mid-drive, belt transmission) are both well underway in production..
  • Our frames are manufactured in a facility that also produces frames for premium European brands, ensuring top-notch quality.
  • We've made significant improvements in frame design, including cross-members connecting the down tube to the rear triangle, enhancing torsional rigidity for step-thru frames and integrated rear-rack for extra cargo carrying capability.
  • Check out the image of the frames on the welding jig, ready to be tacked. Then it goes into welding and heat-treatment processes.
Stay tuned for more updates and glimpses into our process. Your support means the world to us, and we're eagerly looking forward to introducing the Photon series to you all.

Best,
Kriti

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-01-07 at 15.05.57 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-01-07 at 15.05.57 (1).jpeg
    299.3 KB · Views: 53
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-01-07 at 15.05.57 (2).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-01-07 at 15.05.57 (2).jpeg
    321.5 KB · Views: 58
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-01-07 at 15.05.57.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-01-07 at 15.05.57.jpeg
    277.6 KB · Views: 57
Exciting Update from Zen Ebikes: Photon Series On Track for March 2024 Delivery

Hello EBR Community,

In these turbulent times for the Ebike industry, open communication becomes more crucial than ever. We deeply value the trust you place in us and are committed to maintaining it.

The Photon series launch is right on schedule for March 2024! To keep you all in the loop, we're sharing behind-the-scenes images of the Photon Pro and Pure models in production.

Photon Nomenclature Update:
For our 2024 lineup, we're launching the Photon series, with 4 Ebike models: Photon Mini, Photon Pure, Photon Pro, and Photon Ultra. Our aim is to simplify the naming system, making it easier for customers to understand each model's progression and features, much like what's seen in the mobile industry with brands like Apple and Samsung.

Photon Mini: A compact, folding Ebike with a torque sensor, hydraulic disc brakes, and throttle.
Photon Pure: Powerful hub-drive Ebike with a torque sensor, hydraulic brakes, and quality suspension, with 2 battery options 15Ah and 20Ah (UL certified).
Photon Pro: A super low maintenance Mid-drive Ebike with torque sensor, Gates Carbon belt, and Enviolo HD internal gear hub. It comes with a UL-certified 1040 Wh battery and 4-piston brakes.
Photon Ultra: A premium Ebike with mid-drive Bafang Ultra motor, UL-certified battery, Rohloff 14-speed hub, and Gates belt drive, offering the ultimate in performance and reliability.

Photon Pure & Pro Manufacturing Update:
  • The Photon Pure (hub drive w/ Torque sensor), and the Pro (Zen mid-drive, belt transmission) are both well underway in production..
  • Our frames are manufactured in a facility that also produces frames for premium European brands, ensuring top-notch quality.
  • We've made significant improvements in frame design, including cross-members connecting the down tube to the rear triangle, enhancing torsional rigidity for step-thru frames and integrated rear-rack for extra cargo carrying capability.
  • Check out the image of the frames on the welding jig, ready to be tacked. Then it goes into welding and heat-treatment processes.
Stay tuned for more updates and glimpses into our process. Your support means the world to us, and we're eagerly looking forward to introducing the Photon series to you all.

Best,
Kriti
Looks great. Is it possible to have the rear rack painted black? I think it should look super sharp.

This week, our team optimized the packaging to minimize shipping-related damages.
Except for the local deliveries, all shipments will have packaging like this.
We are track for the frames to ship by the end of the month. The wheels and Enviolo IGH are already built in Canada and ready to be installed.
If you have any suggestions, please don't hesitate to share with us.

1705200818589.png

1705200832345.png

I wonder how the Photo rack would accept this Topeak Adapter? The Topeak does not fit my ESpin or Aventon. I have had to make some mods to the rack and adapter to make it fit...

I wonder how the Photo rack would accept this Topeak Adapter? The Topeak does not fit my ESpin or Aventon. I have had to make some mods to the rack and adapter to make it fit...

Would it be possible to share some pictures of the fixture you made?
We will work on ensuring compatibility with Topeak and MIK racks.

I attached a couple of pics. The problem is not with the bike racks but rather with the Topeak adapter. The Topeak arms that secure the adapter to the rack are too short. I made a high tech fix by running 4 heavy duty zip ties through the Topeak adapter arms and secured to the rack. ;) So far so good on my Espin Sport and Aventon Level...

Attachments

• Topeak 1.jpg
    Topeak 1.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 23
  • Topeak 2.jpg
    Topeak 2.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 20
The optimized packaging looks like it will greatly reduce chances of damage. I have the MIK system. It fit one bike nicely but barely fit another because the bike's rack was almost too wide for the MIK mount widest adjustment (see pic). The outside dimension the wider rack is 142mm. Ravi, I hope the new Photon's integrated rack will be compatible with the MIK system.

Attachments

• MIK.jpg
    MIK.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 24
Zens website shows Rack Time compatibility. It seems you can't make a 'one rack fits all' system, as every company has their own way to mount their products. Every time I purchase a new bike I have to replace something storage wise. Me personally, I'd prefer the rack base being compatible with the MIK system, but Rack Time makes some good storage solutions as well.

Zens website shows Rack Time compatibility. It seems you can't make a 'one rack fits all' system, as every company has their own way to mount their products. Every time I purchase a new bike I have to replace something storage wise. Me personally, I'd prefer the rack base being compatible with the MIK system, but Rack Time makes some good storage solutions as well.
Agree. I would like to find a rack that works natively with MIK accessories without need for an adaptor that adds weight and height.

I agree. My Topeak bags feel fairly solid attached with my "bailing wire and chewing gum system" but it's always in the back of my mind when I go over a bump as I have to look back to see if the Topeak is still attached. Topeak should offer replacement arms to their adapter that are about a half inch longer. The other option would be to buy the Topeak rack at 60-150 US...

Back