Zen Photon Pro- Preorder | 1040Wh UL Certified battery | 500W nominal/900W peak power Torque-sensing motor w/ Throttle | USD 2999 | CAD 3999

Yes, we will build that feature into our App.
That is the right way to do it. A phone App that displays temperature, SoC, SoH, drive cycle, errors, etc.
This requires a smart BMS that can communicate via 4G with the App and all of this requires significant work and testing.
Sounds great!...
I'll check back next week 🙃

Good Evening!
We have updated the specifications for the Photon on our websites USA and Canada. We have scheduled a professional photoshoot for the bikes on January 26th. Following this, we will upload the new images to our website. We're learning that finding a good photographer is like searching for a rare part in a bike workshop – you know it's there somewhere, but it's always hiding when you need it most! 😁 Building bikes might just be the easier task!

We appreciate your enthusiasm and patience, and we're excited for you to see the latest updates and photos of the Photon.

As promised, the photoshoot has been completed. We will get official photographs in a few days, but one can get a sneak peek here.
We think the lime Green color looks fantastic on Photon Pro.

1706638094702.png

Following the production of Photon Pro, the Photon Pure bikes were assembled.
We will be share pictures of the Photon Pro next week.

PS: that purple color bike was a custom bike for an investor. She really wanted a unique color and if there is enough interest in such colors for female riders, we could make that happen for Photon Pro.

1706983595591.png

I find it funny that Zen had only one sprayed a custom color and not just do a smaller run while the color is loaded in the paint booth. My work had a powder coater at one time but it only did orange. After a few months everyone at work had something powder coated orange. Car wheels, bicycle frames and other odd items. I recall seeing a motorcycle frame and wheels going in at one time.

I know lime (or any green) is tricky to photograph but that green looks more advocato color. Still better than boring black or white. I still think if Zen should have done a small run of that purple as a limited edition model. They would have sold quick based just on having a different color option.

Ravi, is the white color for the 2024 model more of a pure white color as opposed to cream colored 2023 model? Thx.

Ravi, is the white color for the 2024 model more of a pure white color as opposed to cream colored 2023 model? Thx.

Yes, it is more of Pure White as opposed to cream color. Local dealers and several customers indicated that they prefer white over cream color.
The color shown below is on Photon Pure but the Pro version would also have the same pure white option.

1707065756090.png

The Photon Pro assembly is a multi-step process.

At our factory in Asia:
  1. The frames are inspected manually and checked for paint quality, tolerance for the motor, battery fitment, and cable pass-through
  2. Brakes and suspension are installed
  3. Decals are applied, dried and the frames are loaded on a manual line
  4. Motor and Gates belt are installed
  5. Packed into a custom box made for protecting the frame and internals
    [you can see frames waiting to be packed below]
At our facility in Canada:
  1. Front and rear wheel assembly
  2. Enviolo CVT shifter installation
  3. Battery installation
  4. QC/QA
1707067350288.png

1707067180817.png

Last edited:
The Photon Pro assembly is a multi-step process.

At our factory in Asia:
  1. The frames are inspected on a manually and checked for paint quality, tolerance for the motor, battery fitment, and cable pass-through
  2. Brakes and suspension are installed
  3. Decals are applied, dried and the frames are loaded on a manual line
  4. Motor and Gates belt are installed
  5. Packed into a custom box made for protecting the frame and internals
    [you can see frames waiting to be packed below]
At our facility in Canada:
  1. Front and rear wheel assembly
  2. Enviolo CVT shifter installation
  3. Battery installation
  4. QC/QA
View attachment 170775

View attachment 170773
Thanks for the answer on the white paint. It was definitely the right call going with pure white vs cream. I plan to order the Pro in white.

Ravi, question about the motor. If I understand correctly, the motor for the US spec is 750W as opposed to 500W for the CAN market, right? Is it the same motor and the difference in power is just software unlocked or does the factory in China have to install a different motor depending on market? Hope that makes sense.

I find it funny that Zen had only one sprayed a custom color and not just do a smaller run while the color is loaded in the paint booth. My work had a powder coater at one time but it only did orange. After a few months everyone at work had something powder coated orange. Car wheels, bicycle frames and other odd items. I recall seeing a motorcycle frame and wheels going in at one time.

I know lime (or any green) is tricky to photograph but that green looks more advocato color. Still better than boring black or white. I still think if Zen should have done a small run of that purple as a limited edition model. They would have sold quick based just on having a different color option.

Thanks for this note.
We get your point. This production schedule was a limited quantity run, and perhaps, in a few months, we will offer different color options once we gauge the market interest. The E-bike market is oversaturated and we feel investing significant capital to produce different color options may not yield the desired results in terms of return on investment.

Way to go, Ravi! As an owner of a 2023 Photon myself, it's so refreshing to see an ebike company reach beyond the basic, neutral shades of black, white, and gray. We all know return-on-investment can be a tricky call when choosing "marketable" colors. Thanks for taking some risk on us. I wish Zen the very best with this endeavor!

P.S. Lean more toward glossy textures, whenever possible. Colors are more vibrant and they won't scuff-up as easily as the mattes.

P.S. Lean more toward glossy textures, whenever possible. Colors are more vibrant and they won't scuff-up as easily as the mattes.
Totally disagree, but as we know colors and looks are a matter of taste :)

One quick thing to note, or ask for. The Gates belt can be tuned for tension with a app. on a phone. The other analog method is with the Gates Carbon Belt Tension Meter part# 74010073. This is the correct tool to set the tension on a Gates belt and the price of around $50ish shows this. Don't buy the cheap incorrect Gates belt tension tool for V-belts at around $20. Anyways, aside from messing with Amazon (I no longer deal with them.) the correct tension tool is hard to find. When I had my Cero One I only found one vendor outside of Amazon who had one in-stock, and they didn't sell to the "public". So I suggest/ask/beg Zen stocks these belt tension tools on the website so it can be added at checkout with any other accessories being purchased.

One quick thing to note, or ask for. The Gates belt can be tuned for tension with a app. on a phone. The other analog method is with the Gates Carbon Belt Tension Meter part# 74010073. This is the correct tool to set the tension on a Gates belt and the price of around $50ish shows this. Don't buy the cheap incorrect Gates belt tension tool for V-belts at around $20. Anyways, aside from messing with Amazon (I no longer deal with them.) the correct tension tool is hard to find. When I had my Cero One I only found one vendor outside of Amazon who had one in-stock, and they didn't sell to the "public". So I suggest/ask/beg Zen stocks these belt tension tools on the website so it can be added at checkout with any other accessories being purchased.
Perhaps I'm ignorant on the subject... But that sounds like a load of ***
Belts used in cars and things such as snow blowers and so on don't require a special tool. Remove the sag and have a certain amount of flex from straight and roll on.
Belt tension is not rocket science.. That is unless you plan on riding to the Mars

Last edited:
Thanks for the answer on the white paint. It was definitely the right call going with pure white vs cream. I plan to order the Pro in white.
I hope this image provides a more vivid visualization of the color scheme.
High-Viz green accents are for visibility at night.

The motor is 500W nominal but running at 52V, goes upto ~950W peak power. Physical hardware wise, there is no difference between US and Canada motors.
For the US market, the controller allows upto 20A, so, most of the time it is howring around 750W (roughly ~15A).
Where as for the Canadian market, it is limited to 32kmph or 15A controller current.

1707090520360.png

Back