Is it possible to have: class 3, mid drive, belt drive, torque sensor, with throttle, under $4000?

ant11

Region
USA
I'm looking for an ebike that has the following:
  • Class 3
  • Mid drive
  • Belt drive
  • Torque sensor
  • Throttle
I highly prefer an upright seating position for comfort. My budget is $4000. Here are some options I've considered:
  • Sondors Cruiser: Fits everything except belt drive. Also a little heavy.
  • Priority Current: Fits everything except throttle. Also a little underpowered at 500W, according to reviews.
  • DOST Drop CVT: Fits everything except torque sensor. Also close to budget.
  • Evelo Aurora Limited: Fits everything, but over budget. Also limited to 25mph instead of 28.
All these options fit most of my criteria. Is there any bike that can fit all my criteria?

Thank you.

The Evelo Galaxy 500 technically meets all your criteria.

Also, IIRC there have been posts from someone who added a throttle to the Priority Current on their own.

The Evelo Galaxy 500 technically meets all your criteria.

Also, IIRC there have been posts from someone who added a throttle to the Priority Current on their own.
I see that the sale price of the Galaxy 500 brings it under $4k. However being 6' I'm a little worried about its smaller size.

I haven't seen anything about adding a throttle to the Current. In general I don't think it's an easy process, and I'm not great at modifying electronics.

I haven't seen anything about adding a throttle to the Current. In general I don't think it's an easy process, and I'm not great at modifying electronics.
Yeah, I searched and it was someone thinking about adding a throttle, doesn't look like they ever posted that they went through with trying it.

• Torque sensor

This one is just over budget (4699, but they do go on sale occasionally), but it does check all of your boxes

Yes, totally! and we have a few prototypes like that
750W Mid-drive ✅
Torque sensor - ✅
Top speed of 28mph - ✅
Large 960Whr battery ✅
Throttle ✅
AIR suspension ✅
powerful hydraulic brakes ✅
Gates belt drive ✅
Enviolo Heavy Duty CVT hub ✅
Integrated lights, fenders, and racks ✅
27.5" wheels with Schwalbe Super Moto-X tires ✅
Cost $3999 USD ✅
UL - certification of batteries. We are working on that. Offering high-quality batteries (warrantied for 4 years) is important.
We have a few prototypes, and if there is enough interest, we will bring this to the market.

We think a lot about offering a long lifetime/warranty on motors, batteries, and every other component. It is for this reason our flagship model will be Bosch-based. Currently, Bosch has 1000+ dealers across the nation. Excellent quality when it comes to motors and electronics and so are the service and longer parts availability. Building a bike that OP is requesting is not hard but having a long-term plan for support and warranty takes lots of meticulous work from the OEM. I know many companies are selling Bafang M620 motor-equipped bikes for $4K or $5K.
I am curious to hear some knowledgeable comments from readers of this forum on the bike spec highlighted by OP and shown below.

1661875515701.png

750W Mid-drive ✅
Torque sensor - ✅
Top speed of 28mph - ✅
Large 960Whr battery ✅
Throttle ✅
AIR suspension ✅
Gates belt drive ✅
Cost $3999 USD ✅
UL - certification of batteries. We are working on that. Offering high-quality batteries (warrantied for 4 years) is important.
We have a few prototypes, and if there is enough interest, we will bring this to the market.

We think a lot about offering a long lifetime/warranty on motors, batteries, and every other component. It is for this reason our flagship model will be Bosch-based. Currently, Bosch has 1000+ dealers across the nation. Excellent quality when it comes to motors and electronics and so are the service and longer parts availability. Building a bike that OP is requesting is not hard but having a long-term plan for support and warranty takes lots of meticulous work from the OEM. I know many companies are selling Bafang M620 motor-equipped bikes for $4K or $5K.
I am curious to hear some knowledgeable comments from readers of this forum on the bike spec highlighted by OP and shown below.

View attachment 133750
That is a very attractive bike and specs at that price point.

750W Mid-drive ✅
Torque sensor - ✅
Top speed of 28mph - ✅
Large 960Whr battery ✅
Throttle ✅
AIR suspension ✅
Gates belt drive ✅
Cost $3999 USD ✅

On the bold, a throttle on a Bosch based bike? A typo, or something new?

I went ahead and purchased an Evelo Atlas (w/M600). What sort of comments would you like? At 70 miles, I don't feel I have enough seat time on the bike to do a decent review, but there are some thoughts here:

On the bold, a throttle on a Bosch based bike? A typo, or something new?

This prototype bike doesn't have a Bosch motor.
Only our Samurai production bikes come with the Bosch. I was implying that before we bring something to the market, we try to think through the whole E-bike owning experience of the customer. We are confident about the quality and customer service offered by Bosch.
On this prototype, we have a 48V, 750W mid-motor rated for 130Nm, but we will test it thoroughly before mass production.

Yes. It is very possible. If you are willing to make it yourself. The problem is the belt. Typically those require a right seat stay that can open to slip on the belt. It is much less expensive and just as robust to use the new single speed eBike chain from KMC. A replacement cog is $12. Not $120. Gearing range is limited unless you want 12-14 gears and to pay big bucks. I would rather go with a 9-Speed wide range cassette, 11-46. e9 chains can go for $20. A Box 3, Prime 9 group set is about $200. This bike has two rings that allow for a manual change over. The 36-t hits all gears and makes the bike Class 1. The 46-ring hits 11-28 and is Class 3.
1661895510119.png
1661895583582.jpeg

1661895773619.png

This prototype bike doesn't have a Bosch motor.
Only our Samurai production bikes come with the Bosch. I was implying that before we bring something to the market, we try to think through the whole E-bike owning experience of the customer. We are confident about the quality and customer service offered by Bosch.
On this prototype, we have a 48V, 750W mid-motor rated for 130Nm, but we will test it thoroughly before mass production.
Ravi, you can't have it both ways. The bike you are advertising above has a throttle or it doesn't. Seams like you are beating around the bush?

Speaking for myself, it makes little difference here how much testing/research you are doing, if the bike isn't available with a throttle, it's time to look elsewhere. That's a major deal breaker for some of us, myself included....

If you want to go Bosch, go for it! I'm sure many will find that a great plan - but they don't have throttles......

But the Bosch has one type of throttle. Just like an EV it is activated with foot pressure instead of thumb pressure. Works great and is more elegant.
View attachment 133789
More elegant than one with a throttle AND torque sensing? Explain how that might be....

Ravi, you can't have it both ways. The bike you are advertising above has a throttle or it doesn't. Seams like you are beating around the bush?

Speaking for myself, it makes little difference here how much testing/research you are doing, if the bike isn't available with a throttle, it's time to look elsewhere. That's a major deal breaker for some of us, myself included....

If you want to go Bosch, go for it! I'm sure many will find that a great plan - but they don't have throttles......
He already said that isn't the Bosch bike without a throttle, it is an unreleased prototype with a different motor that does have a throttle. He also sells another model (the samurai) that does have the Bosch because he knew it was reliable, so he wasn't releasing that prototype until he can verify it lives up to a similar level.

It is much less expensive and just as robust to use the new single speed eBike chain from KMC. A replacement cog is $12.

Single speed wide chains are awesome and much more durable for ebikes than the multi speed chains, but there is no market where a chain is as robust as a kevlar belt in industrial, automotive or elsewhere. You're still looking at 3-4x the lifespan for a belt over a chain, though they are definitely a cheaper option to replace (if more often). They simply have much higher pre-tension, don't stretch and accept much higher peak torque loads in comparison to a chain over their respective lifespans.

OFFS!
Simply one of most progressive builders and nothing to get hung about…

You're right. Maybe I'm just a bit dense this evening, as I can't figure out what he's selling that matches the OP's specs. NOT going to get hung any further...

I'm looking for an ebike that has the following:
  • Class 3
  • Mid drive
  • Belt drive
  • Torque sensor
  • Throttle
I highly prefer an upright seating position for comfort. My budget is $4000. Here are some options I've considered:
  • Sondors Cruiser: Fits everything except belt drive. Also a little heavy.
  • Priority Current: Fits everything except throttle. Also a little underpowered at 500W, according to reviews.
  • DOST Drop CVT: Fits everything except torque sensor. Also close to budget.
  • Evelo Aurora Limited: Fits everything, but over budget. Also limited to 25mph instead of 28.
All these options fit most of my criteria. Is there any bike that can fit all my criteria?

Thank you.

Back