Is it possible to have: class 3, mid drive, belt drive, torque sensor, with throttle, under $4000?

Why do you want class 3? You'll need to get a driver's license and insurance.
That's a new one. Not saying it's not true, but I hadn't heard that! Is that something that's local to your location, or all of Canada?

They don't have the Class regulations in CA as we do in some states here in the U.S. and have never heard of needing a drivers license and insurance unless it is for a moped class which also includes registration aka a license plate.

That's a new one. Not saying it's not true, but I hadn't heard that! Is that something that's local to your location, or all of Canada?
I am from Canada too, it's true we don't have a class system, however it's also true that if you have more than 500 watts, and above 32 km/hr. set on your ebike you are then considered to have a motor vehicle,which iis equal to the same as class 3 in some U.S states. In any case you would need a drivers license and insurance, which I personally think is stupid as 32km/hr is not very fast. I think Canada needs to change it to 40-50 km/hr. on road and at least 60 km/hr off road.

Only even numbered classes of bikes have throttles. There are three classes. The first two can go up to 20 Mph with assistance. The third and final class can go more than 20 but less than 28.00000001. Throttle bikes are like the red ace in three card monte. Don't get confused. Only class 2 has a throttle and it goes less than or up to 20 then takes a crap.

Last edited:
Only even numbered classes of bikes have throttles. There are three classes. The first two can go up to 20 Mph with assistance. The third and final class can go more than 20 but less than 28.00000001. Throttle bikes are like the red ace in three card monte. Don't get confused. Only class 2 has a throttle and it goes less than or up to 20 than takes a crap.
If you mean the throttle can only take the bike up to 20 mph, you're right. But it still can be class 3 and go faster on PAS.

My Ride1Up LMTD has a throttle and is class 3 (actually it can be set as high as 31 mph), but it's a hub rather than mid drive.

The Serfas eDash Plus is mid drive, class 3, with throttle.

I find the throttle very handy when you have to thread your way through gates on bike paths. I stop peddling and only feather the throttle to slalom around the gates. The PAS is too jumpy at slow speed.

I do a trick. I bypass the handlebar and put the accelerator in the foot, like a Tesla. Push Foot and Go. It is a thing called a Torque Sensor. It is legal. It works great. This is what they look like. These surpass 'throttle' bikes while not looking too ugly. Zoom for details, l if you want to see. Better electric bikes are not clunky and do not have wires or connectors. Clean pure performance.

Attachments

• 625b.JPG
    625b.JPG
    257.2 KB · Views: 167
  • BattNeye2.JPG
    BattNeye2.JPG
    230.7 KB · Views: 170
  • CoasterBrakeCruiser.JPG
    CoasterBrakeCruiser.JPG
    366.4 KB · Views: 169
  • Kona2.JPG
    Kona2.JPG
    326.2 KB · Views: 162
  • Roll9 (2).JPG
    Roll9 (2).JPG
    315.7 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
And how does this answer the op’s question? 3rd time same thread same answer , has this helped find a bike?

And how does this answer the op’s question? 3rd time same thread same answer , has this helped find a bike?
Does he want a class two bike that by definition has a throttle or a class three bike that definition does not have a throttle? This is like that Bee Gee's song More Than A Woman. If it has more dangly bits than a woman, than it is not a woman.

To normal people without an axe to grind, Class 3 means '28 mph' and thats it. Anything more is just preaching to the choir (i.e. wasting the OP's time by deliberately avoiding his question and instead getting up on a soapbox and delivering a favorite sermon).

Look at the other thread he put up on this identical topic a few months prior. He wants a speed of at least 25 mph and he wants a throttle.

Who can post and actually help the OP answer his question for the bike he wants vs the bike someone else wants him to ask for?

Last edited:
Yes, totally! and we have a few prototypes like that
750W Mid-drive ✅
Torque sensor - ✅
Top speed of 28mph - ✅
Large 960Whr battery ✅
Throttle ✅
AIR suspension ✅
powerful hydraulic brakes ✅
Gates belt drive ✅
Enviolo Heavy Duty CVT hub ✅
Integrated lights, fenders, and racks ✅
27.5" wheels with Schwalbe Super Moto-X tires ✅
Cost $3999 USD ✅
UL - certification of batteries. We are working on that. Offering high-quality batteries (warrantied for 4 years) is important.
We have a few prototypes, and if there is enough interest, we will bring this to the market.

We think a lot about offering a long lifetime/warranty on motors, batteries, and every other component. It is for this reason our flagship model will be Bosch-based. Currently, Bosch has 1000+ dealers across the nation. Excellent quality when it comes to motors and electronics and so are the service and longer parts availability. Building a bike that OP is requesting is not hard but having a long-term plan for support and warranty takes lots of meticulous work from the OEM. I know many companies are selling Bafang M620 motor-equipped bikes for $4K or $5K.
I am curious to hear some knowledgeable comments from readers of this forum on the bike spec highlighted by OP and shown below.

View attachment 133750
@Ravi Kempaiah
Zen e-bikes

The bike specs highlighted by the OP are of great interest to me.
It is almost exactly what I am looking for in a new (my first) e-bike.
I'm sure I'm not alone.

I have been on this and other forum sites researching and performing my due diligence on
e-bike companies, components, batteries/BMS, assembly processes, warrantees and customer support
both pre and post purchase and the people that stand behind the various e-bike companies.

Any company can slap together bike parts to produce a bike.
But much thought, consideration and logistics have to come together to
select quality components that will work together, synergistically to provide the end
consumer with a reliable and exhilarating riding experience.

By the looks of it, Ravi's described prototype (above) seems to check all the boxes
for what, I am looking for.
I also like Zen's concept of "Base" and "premium" versions
A Good-Better-Best strategy creating optionality for the consumer.

The following would be a few upgrades I would love to see on this bike.
  • Kindernay VII IGH
  • Schwalbe Johnny Watts tires
  • Magura 4-piston hydraulic brakes
  • FOX air suspension fork
  • Kinekt suspension seatpost
  • Size availability S-M-L-XL
  • Highest quality "Zen" branded battery system and interactive display.
I know this is only a prototype at this stage.
However an e-bike spec'd out like this, in my opinion could be a huge success.

I for one, hope this comes to fruition!

@Ravi Kempaiah
Zen e-bikes

The bike specs highlighted by the OP are of great interest to me.
It is almost exactly what I am looking for in a new (my first) e-bike.
I'm sure I'm not alone.

I have been on this and other forum sites researching and performing my due diligence on
e-bike companies, components, batteries/BMS, assembly processes, warrantees and customer support
both pre and post purchase and the people that stand behind the various e-bike companies.

Any company can slap together bike parts to produce a bike.
But much thought, consideration and logistics have to come together to
select quality components that will work together, synergistically to provide the end
consumer with a reliable and exhilarating riding experience.

By the looks of it, Ravi's described prototype (above) seems to check all the boxes
for what, I am looking for.
I also like Zen's concept of "Base" and "premium" versions
A Good-Better-Best strategy creating optionality for the consumer.

The following would be a few upgrades I would love to see on this bike.
  • Kindernay VII IGH
  • Schwalbe Johnny Watts tires
  • Magura 4-piston hydraulic brakes
  • FOX air suspension fork
  • Kinekt suspension seatpost
  • Size availability S-M-L-XL
  • Highest quality "Zen" branded battery system and interactive display.
I know this is only a prototype at this stage.
However an e-bike spec'd out like this, in my opinion could be a huge success.

I for one, hope this comes to fruition!
The only things I’ve seen speced like that are the WattWagons offerings. OTOH those are 2-3x a $4k price point.

This is over budget, but nothing too dramatic. Customer support is over the top...

Ravi, you can't have it both ways. The bike you are advertising above has a throttle or it doesn't. Seams like you are beating around the bush?

Speaking for myself, it makes little difference here how much testing/research you are doing, if the bike isn't available with a throttle, it's time to look elsewhere. That's a major deal breaker for some of us, myself included....

If you want to go Bosch, go for it! I'm sure many will find that a great plan - but they don't have throttles......
With some products I have experienced lately (not ebike as such) some new stuff proves to be of dubious quality. I imagine the conversation goes something like this: "How did the new framiss work out in the tests?" "Not so good. It broke when the customer took it out of the box, and it injured 70% of the users, with a few fatalities. It was a complete dud." "Okay, better put it one the market then."

I'm looking for an ebike that has the following:
  • Class 3
  • Mid drive
  • Belt drive
  • Torque sensor
  • Throttle
I highly prefer an upright seating position for comfort. My budget is $4000. Here are some options I've considered:
  • Sondors Cruiser: Fits everything except belt drive. Also a little heavy.
  • Priority Current: Fits everything except throttle. Also a little underpowered at 500W, according to reviews.
  • DOST Drop CVT: Fits everything except torque sensor. Also close to budget.
  • Evelo Aurora Limited: Fits everything, but over budget. Also limited to 25mph instead of 28.
All these options fit most of my criteria. Is there any bike that can fit all my criteria?

Thank you.
Can you have a round square? Re on road eBikes: Class 3 by definition does not have a throttle, unfortunately. Only Class 2 can have a throttle. I don't know if you can have a 28mph assisted with throttle or not ebike off road or what if any are the limitations off road in USA -- might differ by state.

Can you have a round square? Re on road eBikes: Class 3 by definition does not have a throttle, unfortunately. Only Class 2 can have a throttle. I don't know if you can have a 28mph assisted with throttle or not ebike off road or what if any are the limitations off road in USA -- might differ by state.
Check your facts. Plenty of ebikes for sale here in SoCal with throttles AND 28 mph assist cut-offs right from the factory. These ebikes fall outside the 3-class system. Maybe not strictly legal but readily available in mainstream bike shops nonetheless. Also widely available online.

Check your facts. Plenty of ebikes for sale here in SoCal with throttles AND 28 mph assist cut-offs right from the factory. These ebikes fall outside the 3-class system. Maybe not strictly legal but readily available in mainstream bike shops nonetheless. Also widely available online.
Jeremy thanks much for your claims on what is available. Of course there are EBikes for sale outside the 3 Classes. What I said was that if it does not have a throttle it is not Class 3 (somebody wanted a class 3 eBike with a Throttle.) Now check your laws for legality of selling an eBike that lacks a label/sticker stating what Class it is. I don't know about the law on selling an eBike for off-road use that lacks a label. I also don't know which states, if any, allow a person to add a throttle himself to his eBike & drive it without being one of the 3 classes on the road.

Back