2022 - Top 12 Bafang Ultra M620 Ebikes

Ebiker33

I did a list like this in 2020 and it was time for an update.

Caveats for criteria:
1) My top 12 might be different than what you would put in there.
2) Must have a dedicated sub-forum on EBR.
3) I tried to include a variety of styles including hard tails, fatties, full suspension and step throughs.
4) Also many brands have upgrade options which I may have done or not, but this really effects pricing, sale prices come and go which might effect price rankings.
5) Finally number ranking doesn't mean it's better, just more expensive, it's up to you to decide which Ebike is best value or just the best for your needs.

Here is why the ultra motor, shown in this video, it is the hill crusher and beats all popular motors.

Go to 4:15 time stamp for the times

#1) FREY-Beast - $7980.00
Notable features, 60V Battery with custom Ultra
FREY LINK
The Beast.jpg

#2) BIKONET-Warthog MD1000 - $7799.00
Notable features, built in double batteries(30Ah) with gates belt and Rohloff IGH
BIKONET LINK
Bikonit.jpg

#3) FLX-Blade 2 Touring - $7329.00
Notable features, gates belt and Rohloff IGH
FLX LINK

FLX 2.jpg

#4) Watt Wagons - Ultimate Commuter Pro - $6899.00
Notable features, all Titanium frame with Innotrace X1 controller.
(shown with upgrades but priced out the entry level)
Watt Wagons Link
Watt Wagons 2.jpg

#5) QuietKat-JEEP - $6699.00
Notable features, full suspension fatty
QuietKat Link
QuietKat-Apex-Electric-Fat-Bike.jpg

#6 Biktrix-Monte Capro Ultra - $5999.00
Notable feature, premium carbon fiber frame, choice of colors.
Biktrix Link
Biktrex Blue.jpg

#7) FREY-CC - $4780.00
Notable features, the only full suspension step through on this list
Frey Link
FREY-CC.jpg

#8) LUNA-Z1 Enduro - $4500.00
Notable features, Carbon fiber frame, custom Magnesium version of the Ultra
LUNA Link
luna_z.jpg

#9) Eunorau-Specter ST-$4299.00

Notable features, step through specked with a second battery
EUNORAU Link
Eunrau spectre ST.jpg

#10) RIZE- RX Pro-$3299.00

Notable features, 52 Volt battery can be upgraded to dual batteries, economical.
RIZE link
RIZE RX PRO.jpg

#11) SONDORS-Cruiser -$2999.00

Notable features, step through cruiser with solid fork; economical
SONDORS Link
cruiser.jpg

#12) Nireeka-Prime A4 - $2499.00

Notable features, unique head turning look, solid fork, carbon fiber, price point, upgradable
NIREEKA Link
Nireeka Prime.jpg

So there they are, which one caught your eye ?

#14 I would add one bike with the note that it's an Ultra hardtail that DOESN'T come with fat tires under it....at a pretty reasonable price.
The Rize RX!

While not on everyone's wish list the Frey EX finally displays modern "Enduro" geometry being adopted by an Asian manufacturer. The 64d head angle especially in conjunction with a 180mm fork is very up to date. The 14ah dual battery system is not a bad idea either as one battery should be well enough for a brisk 20+ mile ride with elevation gains over 2000'. Plenty for a daily ride with the option to double that for more epic adventures.

Screen Shot 2022-01-01 at 9.54.05 AM.png

While road type eBikes can get way better wh/mi M620 bikes that are ridden off road tend to be higher I find. Not a bad thing, just needs to be respected as such.

While not on everyone's wish list the Frey EX finally displays modern "Enduro" geometry being adopted by an Asian manufacturer. The 64d head angle especially in conjunction with a 180mm fork is very up to date. The 14ah dual battery system is not a bad idea either as one battery should be well enough for a brisk 20+ mile ride with elevation gains over 2000'. Plenty for a daily ride with the option to double that for more epic adventures.

View attachment 110735

While road type eBikes can get way better wh/mi M620 bikes that are ridden off road tend to be higher I find. Not a bad thing, just needs to be respected as such.

Frey was the only Company with 2 Ebikes on that list, so I respect the Ebikes that they put out, when considering a Ultra/M620 powered Ebike they are one worth looking at for sure.

Frey was the only Company with 2 Ebikes on that list, so I respect the Ebikes that they put out, when considering a Ultra/M620 powered Ebike they are one worth looking at for sure.
If you count the bike I added, Rize has 2 bikes as well. Both are hard tails, one is a fatty, the other conventional.

Don't get me wrong, I LIKE the Frey. The downside there are the HUGE wait times involved. It takes the right kind of guy to order a bike from Frey, then wait patiently (not!!) for it to arrive. That and freight factors. When ordering a Frey, make sure you are aware of both issues.

The M2S bikes weren't mentioned either, though they were on the last list.

If you count the bike I added, Rize has 2 bikes as well. Both are hard tails, one is a fatty, the other conventional.

Don't get me wrong, I LIKE the Frey. The downside there are the HUGE wait times involved. It takes the right kind of guy to order a bike from Frey, then wait patiently (not!!) for it to arrive. That and freight factors. When ordering a Frey, make sure you are aware of both issues.

The M2S bikes weren't mentioned either, though they were on the last list.
I agree when considering this list you must also see if the vendors has them in stock now, or are you going to be waiting until Q3 in 2022 for your Ebike when the summer is already over.

Yeah, I'd have to include the Frey AM1000 v5 alongside the CC, in that list... Similar spec & price, but larger 48V@21Ah battery. (The v6 has great parts too, but I prefer the v5's top-loading battery style & believe it's more adaptable.)

Actually, even after recent industry price hikes, Frey have pretty desirable components compared to other ebikes in their price ranges.

Oddly, I'd recommend a Frey over some of the higher priced bikes on this list, even if price were no object: The shocks alone could be worth it.

In particular, the QuietKat Jeep is effectively a Frey EX Pro with fat tire forks & rear triangle, at a much higher price point. (Makes me wonder how much a ruined Jeep ebike would cost?) An AM1000 / EX Pro / CC / Beast, with parts to fit those fat tires on it, would fill out their lineup quite nicely! (So would a bike with belt drive \ hub shifter, not that I care as much about those, due to high price.)

I agree that extreme patience & diligence with ordering, build-time, shipping, & customer service, are necessary for a positive experience with Frey or other relatively low-volume builders located in China. Many questions are easier to answer through the community, than by directing translated questions at the brand's staff... Not for the impatient or uninformed!

Amazing to me though, how far up the list a Frey AM1000 v5 lands, if ranked by component quality, compared to how far down the list they land, if ranked from highest to lowest price. Great value in the components with Frey, for those able to accommodate the build times & limited communication!

Yeah, I'd have to include the Frey AM1000 v5 alongside the CC, in that list... Similar spec & price, but larger 48V@21Ah battery. (The v6 has great parts too, but I prefer the v5's top-loading battery style & believe it's more adaptable.)

Actually, even after recent industry price hikes, Frey have pretty desirable components compared to other ebikes in their price ranges.

Oddly, I'd recommend a Frey over some of the higher priced bikes on this list, even if price were no object: The shocks alone could be worth it.

In particular, the QuietKat Jeep is effectively a Frey EX Pro with fat tire forks & rear triangle, at a much higher price point. (Makes me wonder how much a ruined Jeep ebike would cost?) An AM1000 / EX Pro / CC / Beast, with parts to fit those fat tires on it, would fill out their lineup quite nicely! (So would a bike with belt drive \ hub shifter, not that I care as much about those, due to high price.)

I agree that extreme patience & diligence with ordering, build-time, shipping, & customer service, are necessary for a positive experience with Frey or other relatively low-volume builders located in China. Many questions are easier to answer through the community, than by directing translated questions at the brand's staff... Not for the impatient or uninformed!

Amazing to me though, how far up the list a Frey AM1000 v5 lands, if ranked by component quality, compared to how far down the list they land, if ranked from highest to lowest price. Great value in the components with Frey, for those able to accommodate the build times & limited communication!
That’s a future thread for someone more diligent and patient than moi. Rank these bikes by available components.

That’s a future thread for someone more diligent and patient than moi. Rank these bikes by available components.
Hahaha! Yeah I can understand that.

I mostly meant that the Frey AM1000 is a good enough value to be worth mentioning right alongside the similarly priced Frey CC (which has a smaller battery than the AM1000).

I'd be tempted to squeeze it into a spot on this list (never mind any list ranking them by the price of constituent components).

Really interested to see what happens with all the brands who've been building bikes with Bafang motors, since the new CANBus controllers don't offer anything like the adjustability the UART ones did. "Aftermarket controllers for everyone!"?

If anyone knows any details about the controller used in the Frey Beast, please do share!

Hahaha! Yeah I can understand that.

I mostly meant that the Frey AM1000 is a good enough value to be worth mentioning right alongside the similarly priced Frey CC (which has a smaller battery than the AM1000).

I'd be tempted to squeeze it into a spot on this list (never mind any list ranking them by the price of constituent components).

Really interested to see what happens with all the brands who've been building bikes with Bafang motors, since the new CANBus controllers don't offer anything like the adjustability the UART ones did. "Aftermarket controllers for everyone!"?

If anyone knows any details about the controller used in the Frey Beast, please do share!
Same here. I think that unless something happens soon, there are going to be a bunch of CANbus Ultra powered bikes available cheap.....

Same here. I think that unless something happens soon, there are going to be a bunch of CANbus Ultra powered bikes available cheap.....
Which should be prime candidates for a controller swap... 🤔

Dangit, for the third time today I wonder exactly what controller is in the Beast, anyway?!?

(Edit: Am I to suppose that's probably CAN-Bus too? Maybe I should be cultivating contact with someone at PA-Transformers or ASI?)

Which should be prime candidates for a controller swap... 🤔

Dangit, for the third time today I wonder exactly what controller is in the Beast, anyway?!?

(Edit: Am I to suppose that's probably CAN-Bus too? Maybe I should be cultivating contact with someone at PA-Transformers or ASI?)
I wouldn't assume there was an aftermarket controller available for a CANbus motor. They may require a UART based motor for their conversion. Speaking for myself, that's kind of a grey area right now....

This one looks kinda interesting. CF frame with budget components, an odd pairing. Elektrek says Bafang Ultra motor, but has a touchscreen display and appp support so perhaps a next gen version of the Ultra or M600? Battery capacity is a bit weak for Bafang Ultra at 700 Wh unless, again, it's a more efficient next gen motor.

OKAI EB20 is our first four-link, soft tailed e-Bike, and the first to use a lightweight carbon fiber frame. It is fully compatible with a broad range of professional MTB components from leading manufacturers including Shimano, SunTour, Bafang and Tekro.

Powered by a 750W motor, the OKAI EB20 is a twelve-speed e-Bike featuring a swappable 14.7Ah Samsung battery and a 2.8” touchscreen integrated into the headstock that displays speed, distance, connectivity and battery information. Riders can also express their individuality by using the OKAI app to select from several color and UI theme options. The app can also be used to start the bike, with other options including a foldable key, and integrated NFC smart unlocking.

• Four link, soft tail frame design
  • Carbon fiber frame and vehicle head
  • Swappable Samsung 14.7Ah ultra long-lifebattery
  • Customizable 2.8” LED touchscreen
  • SunTour front fork, and rear suspension
  • TEKTRO oil disk brake
  • SHIMANO XT rear transmission, thumb shifter, hubs, chain and flywheel
  • Banfang 750W motor (compatible with several 250W and 500W motors)
  • 5W (12v) headlights
  • Integrated torque sensor
  • Foldable key with NFC and smart unlocking options

Back