Rize RX vs Frey CC

Magneto

Region
Canada
Hi All,

any help would be appreciated. I'm hoping to buy a near approximation of the unicorn bike.

* Awesome for commuting (so a rear rack is necessary) and tagging along with kids as they grow.
* has a throttle and is class 3 compatible (but not simultaneously of course)
* ability to ride moderate cross-country trails -- nothing too crazy but I may get better skills with time and don't want to buy a new, expensive, bike in a few years.

I think I've narrowed it down to either a Frey CC or a Rize RX (the
* both have the same Bafang Ultra motor. The Frey is a little more expensive than I'd like to spend especially with half the battery compacity but I could make the financing work for a long-term bike that would be more comfortable on the roads and more fun off them.

* Rize is a hardtail with a cheap suspension seat (that does seem to work well) and can be ordered with two 52V - 30Ah for about $1000 less than the Frey.

* Frey CC is a full suspension that seems to be a very nice daily commuter with more potential for trail riding (after getting some tires). From what I gather, the main differences are (CC vs RX):
**RockShox Recon RL 150mm >> SR Suntour XCT 110mm
**RockShox Monarch RL >> Suntour NCX suspension seat
** Mugura MT5e 4-piston 203mm >> Tektro 2-piston 180mm
** 840Wh - 48V - 17.5Ah << 1460Wh - 52v 30Ah (this is a lot but one could order a spare battery for Frey but it wouldn't run in parallel)
** 5a charger >> 3a charger

I'm wondering how much nicer this upgraded suspension is or whether it's more of a hindrance for daily commuting, plus the step-through option.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I ordered a Frey CC for the wife last year and a BEAST for myself.. The beast took a while and the CC was delivered a couple months before... After Adjusting the Rear suspension and I added a suspension seat post (just because I had it, not because it was needed).

That thing is like floating when riding and dont feel any of the road cracks, Very smooth. After receiving my BEAST I would have been happy with the CC..

I have had a neck surgery in 2017 and 2021 and had a back surgery in 2019... I can ride it and not hurt as much .. for longer periods.

Worth every penny to us.. So much that I ordered 2 more for the kids when we ride... SO we have 4 FREY bikes total and 1 Giant, 1 Stromer, 1 Evelo (full suspension) a small kids bike for my Daughter inlaw as she is real short ... But all in all I would not hesitate to buy the CC again or recommend it to anyone.. Its just a long wait..

Frey CC was great, just a little heavy for my personal preference. Liking my 35 lb Gravelster for around town riding. Never took the CC on dirt or trails. At 70 plus lbs, I might as well have bought a motorcycle...

Hi All,

any help would be appreciated. I'm hoping to buy a near approximation of the unicorn bike.

* Awesome for commuting (so a rear rack is necessary) and tagging along with kids as they grow.
* has a throttle and is class 3 compatible (but not simultaneously of course)
* ability to ride moderate cross-country trails -- nothing too crazy but I may get better skills with time and don't want to buy a new, expensive, bike in a few years.

I think I've narrowed it down to either a Frey CC or a Rize RX (the
* both have the same Bafang Ultra motor. The Frey is a little more expensive than I'd like to spend especially with half the battery compacity but I could make the financing work for a long-term bike that would be more comfortable on the roads and more fun off them.

* Rize is a hardtail with a cheap suspension seat (that does seem to work well) and can be ordered with two 52V - 30Ah for about $1000 less than the Frey.

* Frey CC is a full suspension that seems to be a very nice daily commuter with more potential for trail riding (after getting some tires). From what I gather, the main differences are (CC vs RX):
**RockShox Recon RL 150mm >> SR Suntour XCT 110mm
**RockShox Monarch RL >> Suntour NCX suspension seat
** Mugura MT5e 4-piston 203mm >> Tektro 2-piston 180mm
** 840Wh - 48V - 17.5Ah << 1460Wh - 52v 30Ah (this is a lot but one could order a spare battery for Frey but it wouldn't run in parallel)
** 5a charger >> 3a charger

I'm wondering how much nicer this upgraded suspension is or whether it's more of a hindrance for daily commuting, plus the step-through option.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Way late, but just saw this. I just wanted to share that buying a first e-bike with the thought it's going to be a long term investment generally doesn't work well. Same thought when trying to buy the second bike first. This first bike is going to teach you a TON. You're going to find out how much you ride, where you ride, and a lot more about what YOU need to do that. When talking Ultra motors, make sure you look in to UART based motors and the newer CANbus types. A LOT of guys didn't and have been pretty disappointed with their purchases.

I am also late to this particular party, but am a Rize RX Pro owner (as well a City MD owner) and thought it might be useful to others with a couple of thoughts on the subject of the Rize bikes in general, and what my experiences and wish lists are after spending several months and many miles with it (about 1500 so far). For those asking about size, I am 6'3" 210ish.

Comparing the Rize RX Pro to the Frey on the surface and some specs, both bikes seem similar and they very well might be. Both bikes offer the same power and gears and size etc, however for me I think the answer is in what you want suspension-wise. For fit, the RX Pro is plenty large for me even though the frame is technically undersized (according to the processionals), but when I want to have it more as a cruiser it is nice to be able to drop the seat and get on and off easier than a super XL frame. It came mostly assembled but recommend you go over every bolt and check the derailleur before you get out there. The brakes are strong, fit and finish was ok but not perfect. I got mine in black which has helped with touch-ups from trail accidents. Mentioning trails, the RX Pro is a frikking billy goat when you want to scoot up embankments and very very steep hills. It will pull a wheelie in 1st gear, so be ready for it if you hit the button from a stop. I usually leave the bike in 3rd for getting going on the street.

Wishes:
1. Better front fork. I find myself wanting to go off-road more and more with the fat tires (beyond my initial intentions), and having a nice front fork is worth paying more for it already on the bike. I have been looking at replacing my forks, or just maybe getting a different bike in a couple years once I can afford it. The seat post suspension is also nice, but nothing compared to a full rear setup. Adding a proper $600-800 air/oil front fork to this bike would still put it ahead of the Frey on a buy for those of us who are happy enough with a seat post suspension on the butt feel for the price difference. I will never really ever use a rear suspension for its intended purposes, and can lift up my butt for the bigger hits for the price difference.
2. Synthetic Gears. The noise is awful on the M620 (for me) if you want a quiet ride with power on. If they would make a solution that held for 6 months at a time to handle just the stock power, I would be all over that cash in hand whatever the cost. This affects the Frey as well.
3. Tuning Ability. My RX Pro is the CANBUS model, so I am stuck with what I have for now, or sell it and put in a UART version for tuning control. I am not too picky for now, so leaving it alone.

My Opinion of Rize RX Pro vs Frey:
If you just want a simple bike with very very decent capabilities but lacks some finesse with the larger trail bumps and roots, save your money and go with the Rize. If you want a bike to have a better ride offroad, maybe get one with a proper suspension setup like the Frey since the added bits costs are in line with upgrading your Rize if you choose that route, but the Rize will never get the full rear suspension of the Frey or other full sus bikes.

Rize City MD Opinion
This is my wife's bike, but being the person who maintains it I have had the chance to ride it quite a bit.

Very nice bike, plenty of power, front fork suspension feels smoother than the RX Pro, and does not make springing noises when hitting bumps. The stock Bafang programming really does suck on the BBS02 compared to the RX Pro m620, but for now leaving it alone until it is out of warranty. I have trained my wife to keep her hands on the brakes when she wants to ensure control of the bike. The mappings of power to assist levels are quite wonky, but I understand it can be smoothed out once the warranty period ends.

First off, it has the BBS02 motor, and that thing is quiet quiet quiet compared to the M620 in my RX Pro. If I ever kill the nylon gears, I will upgrade to the new synthetic. Second, I will say that motor might not have the power of the M620 stock for stock, but it has no issues moving me around at top speeds and quite well I might add while sipping power (as compared to the m620 full throttle riding). Climbing steep road hills is also comparable to the RX Pro (just not as fast) provided you are in a low enough gear and appropriate power level, but even so if you are not doing extreme hills all the time or looking to have a 1000w+ base to start modding, then you might want to consider holding off on the M620 platform for a while since the 750w platforms really do have plenty of power for the everyday bike users, light/moderate trails, and are very quiet. I really do not like the metal gears in the M620, but the noise does wake some people up on the trail before I even have to ring my bell.

Rize Opinion
Rize consistently seems to put out good bang-for-the-buck products, but could even go a slight step further in price and features by giving you better front suspension options, as well as expanded second batter mount options by putting out an extension cord for their new three-pronged power plugs. Mounting the second battery to the top of the integrated battery tube makes the bottle holder area at the bottom of the seatpost worthless. Maybe make things like upgraded fork or extension cord an add-on, but some solution through them would be very nice and still very competitive. I would gladly pay up front not to deal with it afterwards for the same if not more cost.

Would I recommend them? Best answer is it depends. Obviously I was happy enough to buy a second, but I would only recommend them to people who are not high-strung and stressed out over everything in life. So, recommend to my boss who fits that description? Heck no. Her boss who is very chill and takes a big picture to life approach, then I would recommend them in a heartbeat with the caveats above about suspension needs of the individual rider.

Rize response times might be slow for some, and a little bit of a pain, but so far they have made me happy in the end. I am currently in the process of getting some replacement parts for my wife's City MD that occurred during shipping, but nothing more painful than dealing with any 3rd party reseller getting parts from China. If you are patient with claims and prompt with your build and testing, then there should be no issues. If you cannot wait for their turnaround times, keep in mind that everything mechanical on the bikes are easily sourced online, and more than likely whatever is broken can be replaced in a few days and will probably break again eventually through use. Boom, you have a spare on hand already through the warranty.

Future Decisions
Sell the RX Pro for a full suspension m620/BBS02/HD, or just upgrade the front fork.

I hope this helps those out there searching around for information

LLL?

Are you a Frey Owner? Previous? Was wondering if you just compared by specs or had owned one..
Not a previous Frey owner, but have ridden a friend's with full rear suspension few times on some moderate trails.

Better than the Rize RX Pro on bumpy stuff, but the Rize has a big lead on 70% of my riding for the price difference.

I will decide this winter which direction I'll take. Not sure it's worth the hassles of selling things versus modding what I have. I find it's easy to sell parts versus entire vehicles.

Frey is not for everyone.. That I will agree.. If you want good power and a smooth ride (very smooth) then the CC is it.. A little heavy but not bothersome.. I bought one to try out and after that I got 2 more and a BEAST. Love all of them.. The Beast has a couple quirks but Not a deal breaker for me.

The Beast has a couple quirks but Not a deal breaker for me.
I'm shopping Frey (and others) and while I don't think I would go with the Beast ($$), can you expand on what the quirks are?
(+Any thoughts/experience on AM1000 V6 vs the CC?)

Back