Rize RX vs Dost Kope?

ThompsonRH

Region
Canada
I have read some of the existing posts re RizeRX vs Dost Kope but they are older and I am interested in peoples current experience with both, in particular Rize quality and support. Rize (at least in Canada) seems to be online purchase only whereas Dost has a local and respected supplier here in Montreal. Rize support seems rather tardy and even questions for a sale seem to be answered casual. Whereas our local Dost supplier spent about 30 mins on the phone with me recently. However in my humble comparison, based on very little experience, the Rize RX seems very similar to the Dost Kope, (but like a more updated Dost), many identical components but with improvements included (1000 watt motor with torque sensor, 30% more than Dost, slightly higher aH battery, seat suspension, bell etc) and the price is slightly lower (free shipment). Assembly seems quite straight forward. But I’m sure I’d get good support with the Dost local supplier. I’d love some opinions please.

I have read some of the existing posts re RizeRX vs Dost Kope but they are older and I am interested in peoples current experience with both, in particular Rize quality and support. Rize (at least in Canada) seems to be online purchase only whereas Dost has a local and respected supplier here in Montreal. Rize support seems rather tardy and even questions for a sale seem to be answered casual. Whereas our local Dost supplier spent about 30 mins on the phone with me recently. However in my humble comparison, based on very little experience, the Rize RX seems very similar to the Dost Kope, (but like a more updated Dost), many identical components but with improvements included (1000 watt motor with torque sensor, 30% more than Dost, slightly higher aH battery, seat suspension, bell etc) and the price is slightly lower (free shipment). Assembly seems quite straight forward. But I’m sure I’d get good support with the Dost local supplier. I’d love some opinions please.
I would go with the Rize rx. The dost has the bbs02 motor and the rize has the bafang ultra motor. There is also a bbshd which is the newer bbs02, the Ultra is the newer bbshd. Dost also uses 48v batteries and the Rize uses 52v.

The Rize has a Bafang M620 Ultra the Dost is a BBS02 powered bike, it is not on the same level as the Rize imo,not even close.
I also have an RX, i had some tricky motor issues, i sent Rize some video and photos of the issue and after some emails back and fourth(maybe 4) they sent me a whole new motor! I have no issue with their Customer service although they are not as fast as Biktrix CS. I would without question buy the Rize over the Dost, in fact there is no way i would buy a Dost, they just feel overpriced for what they are.

Thanks guys and good to hear positive things about customer service. I figure electronics have problems sooner or later and its great to be able to get hold of a human to resolve it.

The Rize has a Bafang M620 Ultra the Dost is a BBS02 powered bike, it is not on the same level as the Rize imo,not even close.
I also have an RX, i had some tricky motor issues, i sent Rize some video and photos of the issue and after some emails back and fourth(maybe 4) they sent me a whole new motor! I have no issue with their Customer service although they are not as fast as Biktrix CS. I would without question buy the Rize over the Dost, in fact there is no way i would buy a Dost, they just feel overpriced for what they are.
I've had my RX (narrower tire version) since October and have added nearly 1,500 trouble-free miles. It was easy to assemble. It has been very easy to tune and maintain over the last 10 months. I would buy this bike again, no doubt. Going into this, I made the realization that I was going to acquire some new skills and learn about maintaining a bike. I was unwilling to pay nearly double to get a Trek (or something similar from a LBS) with a quarter of the power - just so I could take it to a LBS for future repairs. I could see the values in the e-bike world were in the Direct to Consumer offerings, and it just came down to finding the brand with the best mix of price and components. Rize RX was far and away the best value at this time last year. Frey might have been a contender, but the Alibaba ordering & the long wait times with little communication were enough to put me off. YouTube has been invaluable, as was a nice bike stand to make working on the bike much easier. I don't know your situation, but if you have internet access and are remotely handy with tools, you can maintain your own bike.

IMHO, the right call is going to be the one made AFTER the call regarding who will be doing the majority of the work on the bike while you own it. If you plan on doing the majority of the work, why pay the long dollar to buy from a dealer? As far as the required technical expertise, as long as you are willing to learn, that shouldn't be too big an issue with all the support available from both Rize themselves, and from folks here on these forums.

I do get though, there are those that would rather be doing something else when it comes to bike maintenance requirements. No intent to knock that plan at all.

The bigger point, is the suggestion you make the call about who will be doing the work BEFORE you buy the bike.

I’ve always serviced my bike in the past so I’m planning to do as much as possible myself. I’m new to ebikes, this will be my first although I’ve rented Jump & Bixi eBikes. I was a little concerned about the electronics but the more I read, the more I learn that the whole configuration is simpler that I thought. Really just a mountain bike with a sophisticated motor controller unit attached and a few flimsy gizmos to shutoff the motor when braking. I doubt I’ll be taking the motor appart, as said above, we’ll just replace the whole thing.
Anyway I took the leap and order a Rize RX. Will probably take a month which gives me time to figure a ramp design to get it in and out of my basement.
Thanks for your feedback

Congrats on making a tough decision, and welcome to Rize!

I’ve always serviced my bike in the past so I’m planning to do as much as possible myself. I’m new to ebikes, this will be my first although I’ve rented Jump & Bixi eBikes. I was a little concerned about the electronics but the more I read, the more I learn that the whole configuration is simpler that I thought. Really just a mountain bike with a sophisticated motor controller unit attached and a few flimsy gizmos to shutoff the motor when braking. I doubt I’ll be taking the motor appart, as said above, we’ll just replace the whole thing.
Anyway I took the leap and order a Rize RX. Will probably take a month which gives me time to figure a ramp design to get it in and out of my basement.
Thanks for your feedback
Congrats! Let us know when you get it and what you think of it. I'm really curious to see some actual pictures of the new '21 version.

I am also doing this comparison. The things I worry about are this:
  • What is the quality (fit & finish) of the Rize versus the Kope? - I hear a lot of people happy with their Dost bikes and say they are better quality then expected
  • How is Rize's Customer Service after you receive the product? - I know Dost has very good customer service after speaking with them a few times
  • Is there really a big difference in the motors? So much so that it makes going with the Rize a no-brainer? - Most people just quote the motor as the biggest reason they went with the Rize. Is there not any other reason to go with the Rize other than the motor
  • What are the common problems with the Rize? - I plan to have my LBS put it together if I go with the Rize so I may not have to worry about any "assembly" issues but more concerned about the long term issues

The difference between the motors is big. Not sure if they changed design, but bbs02 had a tendency to overheat under heavy use.. One is cadence sensor and one has torque sensor, 120nm vs 160nm torque. Ultra motor has better internal gears. Also Rize bike has a 52v15ah vs 48v14ah. As far as customer of either I cannot attest.[/LIST][/QUOTE]

120nm vs 160nm torque
I am assuming power on an ebike is "better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it"? You dont have to use all of the power of the Rize but it is there for hills or going fast? Also, the Rize RX 2021 model specs say the top speed is "35mph (Throttle)". Does that mean you can go 35mph using just the throttle?

Many of the components are identical, the gears, brakes, I think the frame, and the motor is the same manufacturer, just Rize uses the most recent version. And if u configure them the same you’ll pay quite a bit more for the Dost. I took the keep and order Rize RX 2021.

I am assuming power on an ebike is "better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it"? You dont have to use all of the power of the Rize but it is there for hills or going fast? Also, the Rize RX 2021 model specs say the top speed is "35mph (Throttle)". Does that mean you can go 35mph using just the throttle?
Yes so they say, but @ElevenAD can attest to Rize performance better than me. I was just researching middrives and know an Ultra motor is better than a bbs02. They're from the same manufacturer. Also bigger battery means more power bc as your battery depletes top wattage to motor will as well. Better to have more tha not enough. Dost also costs a $100 more, but most of the other components are similar.

In layman's terms its like paying more for an iPhone 10 when the iPhone 12 is cheaper. Who does that? Somebody I'm sure.

I am also doing this comparison. The things I worry about are this:
  • What is the quality (fit & finish) of the Rize versus the Kope? - I hear a lot of people happy with their Dost bikes and say they are better quality then expected
  • How is Rize's Customer Service after you receive the product? - I know Dost has very good customer service after speaking with them a few times
  • Is there really a big difference in the motors? So much so that it makes going with the Rize a no-brainer? - Most people just quote the motor as the biggest reason they went with the Rize. Is there not any other reason to go with the Rize other than the motor
  • What are the common problems with the Rize? - I plan to have my LBS put it together if I go with the Rize so I may not have to worry about any "assembly" issues but more concerned about the long term issues
Have you confirmed this "assembly" service is available from your dealer? Assuming it will be is a REALLY bad plan. Many (most?) shops will refuse to work on anything they don't sell.

This gets back to another issue, whether or not you should even be considering the Rize. Who will be getting their hands dirty when this new bike needs servicing? Will it be you, or will you be taking the bike in to a shop for service? There's no "maybe" regarding the need for service with either bike. Way safer to assume it's going to need servicing and have a solid plan in place to deal with that. If you're OK with doing the service work yourself, there's plenty of support available here on line that will allow you to learn pretty much anything you might need to know. Bonus when planning on doing your own work is the satisfaction from knowing you did it yourself, AND you'll be minimizing downtime as compared to dropping the bike off at a dealer to let it wait in line.

I own a 2020 Rize bike, and follow the Rize section of the forum closely. I can tell you for sure there has been nothing I would complain about regarding fir and finish on my bike, nor have I seen much shared by others regarding their bikes in the Rize forum.

When it comes to comparing the Ultra motor to a BBS02, the Ultra WILL be a bit noisier than the almost silent BBS02. From there though, all the pluses will be in the Ultra column.

Have you confirmed this "assembly" service is available from your dealer? Assuming it will be is a REALLY bad plan. Many (most?) shops will refuse to work on anything they don't sell.
Thanks, I actually did not think about this. I am a handy person but busy. I thought it would be easier to just take it somewhere and leave it but I am reconsidering that now. I actually enjoy "getting my hands dirty" and doing things myself. To be honest, I am mostly concerned with anything that needs to be "torqued" to a certain amount. I have always had bad experiences with torque wrenches not functioning properly and snapping bolts. I am sure I will be fine but it dont really want to buy an expensive torque wrench.

I own a 2020 Rize bike, and follow the Rize section of the forum closely. I can tell you for sure there has been nothing I would complain about regarding fir and finish on my bike, nor have I seen much shared by others regarding their bikes in the Rize forum.
Since you follow it so closely, what are some of the issues you see come up? Are they easily fixed or are they critical issues? Is Customer Service helpful with the issues?

When it comes to comparing the Ultra motor to a BBS02, the Ultra WILL be a bit noisier than the almost silent BBS02. From there though, all the pluses will be in the Ultra column.
This is what I was looking for. I figured it was better all around but was waiting for someone to say so. I am not concerned about the noise.

Back