Rize RX vs Dost Kope?

Thanks, I actually did not think about this. I am a handy person but busy. I thought it would be easier to just take it somewhere and leave it but I am reconsidering that now. I actually enjoy "getting my hands dirty" and doing things myself. To be honest, I am mostly concerned with anything that needs to be "torqued" to a certain amount. I have always had bad experiences with torque wrenches not functioning properly and snapping bolts. I am sure I will be fine but it dont really want to buy an expensive torque wrench.

Since you follow it so closely, what are some of the issues you see come up? Are they easily fixed or are they critical issues? Is Customer Service helpful with the issues?

This is what I was looking for. I figured it was better all around but was waiting for someone to say so. I am not concerned about the noise.
Yes the Ultra has a torque based pedal assist system, this will give you a more natural feel compared to the cadence based pedal assist in the Dost. The Ultra will also provide more power! Just google "what is the most powerful E-bike motor".

Thanks, I actually did not think about this. I am a handy person but busy. I thought it would be easier to just take it somewhere and leave it but I am reconsidering that now. I actually enjoy "getting my hands dirty" and doing things myself. To be honest, I am mostly concerned with anything that needs to be "torqued" to a certain amount. I have always had bad experiences with torque wrenches not functioning properly and snapping bolts. I am sure I will be fine but it dont really want to buy an expensive torque wrench.

Since you follow it so closely, what are some of the issues you see come up? Are they easily fixed or are they critical issues? Is Customer Service helpful with the issues?

This is what I was looking for. I figured it was better all around but was waiting for someone to say so. I am not concerned about the noise.
You'll do fine assembling/working on your own bike it sounds like. Torque wrenches not absolutely critical unless you're a perfectionist. "Tight" generally works pretty good as long as you aren't standing on the wrench to achieve that.

I haven't seen any one issue that I feel might even be close to a deal breaker due to repeated failures. I'd suggest you look into/pay attention to break in advice when it comes to breaking in new brake pads, but that's no big deal. Worst case, replace the ones they come with (metallic) for something softer/not so picky about how they are broken in.

Just keep in mind that you are in charge of/responsible for the final inspection and test drive for that bike once it comes out of the box. Do NOT assume that's all been done for you beforehand. Even if it has, pretend it hasn't. EVERY nut and bolt should be gone over. If it's not shifting at 100% on your test drive, FIX IT! Don''t try to get by with it. If you don't know what you're doing adjusting a derailleur, look into it. There are DOZENS of you tube instruction videos. There's no better feeling than a perfectly adjusted derailleur clicking up and down immediately at your command.

A lot of us are "busy". That just means you're going to need to schedule yourself some time on occasion when it comes to servicing your bike. Cutting corners is going to bite you in the butt regarding anything else you do. No difference here.... -Al

Too busy? Perhaps, but If you have time to ride a bike, you ought to have the time to assemble it. The benefits go far beyond convenience; you will learn your bike top to bottom. Taking the box (which is huge) to the LBS and retrieving the bike will take more time, frankly.

Too busy? Perhaps, but If you have time to ride a bike, you ought to have the time to assemble it. The benefits go far beyond convenience; you will learn your bike top to bottom. Taking the box (which is huge) to the LBS and retrieving the bike will take more time, frankly.
👍

I've had my RX (narrower tire version) since October and have added nearly 1,500 trouble-free miles. It was easy to assemble. It has been very easy to tune and maintain over the last 10 months. I would buy this bike again, no doubt. Going into this, I made the realization that I was going to acquire some new skills and learn about maintaining a bike. I was unwilling to pay nearly double to get a Trek (or something similar from a LBS) with a quarter of the power - just so I could take it to a LBS for future repairs. I could see the values in the e-bike world were in the Direct to Consumer offerings, and it just came down to finding the brand with the best mix of price and components. Rize RX was far and away the best value at this time last year. Frey might have been a contender, but the Alibaba ordering & the long wait times with little communication were enough to put me off. YouTube has been invaluable, as was a nice bike stand to make working on the bike much easier. I don't know your situation, but if you have internet access and are remotely handy with tools, you can maintain your own bike.
I have a 2020 RX and can confirm your experience with the bike.
I am curious about which bike stand you went with. Thanks.

Kevin8tor, Budda Zanetti - so this stand is ok with the weight of the Rize RX (70lbs ), you can safely work on the bike? It says max weight 60lbs.

Kevin8tor, Budda Zanetti - so this stand is ok with the weight of the Rize RX (70lbs ), you can safely work on the bike? It says max weight 60lbs.
I remove my battery and it is no problem and an easier job of mounting on the work stand.

Ive had it on the stand about 8 times. No signs of fatigue. It’s very solid and stable.

BTW. Ordered mine through Amazon.com. Was quite a bit cheaper than .ca.

SpartyOn11 - when did u order yr 2021? I ordered mine mid August and no update so far.
Same here (early-mid August). I started a thread on the Rize brand forum here where I post any updates I find out from Customer Service. Last time I called Rize they said there was no word from shipping about any delays which is a good thing. They are not expecting any delays at the port of Vancouver right now for the shipment about to arrive. I was told the Rize RXs were one of the first ones loaded on this shipment. Once they arrive in the port of Vancouver it takes about 1-2 days to off load and get to the warehouse where they can be shipped. If you want, give customer service a call. They have been very helpful to me and maybe you might be able to find something out. Dont email, calling is better.

Thanks, I had emailed a few days ago and as u say, got a generic reply. I’ll try calling. hope it arrives before the snow, I live in Montreal :-((

I remove my battery and it is no problem and an easier job of mounting on the work stand.

Ive had it on the stand about 8 times. No signs of fatigue. It’s very solid and stable.

Great thanks👍

This is what I do, too. Why lift w/the battery, it doesn't need to be on the bike on the stand.

I have read some of the existing posts re RizeRX vs Dost Kope but they are older and I am interested in peoples current experience with both, in particular Rize quality and support. Rize (at least in Canada) seems to be online purchase only whereas Dost has a local and respected supplier here in Montreal. Rize support seems rather tardy and even questions for a sale seem to be answered casual. Whereas our local Dost supplier spent about 30 mins on the phone with me recently. However in my humble comparison, based on very little experience, the Rize RX seems very similar to the Dost Kope, (but like a more updated Dost), many identical components but with improvements included (1000 watt motor with torque sensor, 30% more than Dost, slightly higher aH battery, seat suspension, bell etc) and the price is slightly lower (free shipment). Assembly seems quite straight forward. But I’m sure I’d get good support with the Dost local supplier. I’d love some opinions please.
I posted this to my DOST Facebook group recently as there had been lots of chatter comparing the RIZE RX to the DOST Kope. Hope it's helpful!

Hello everyone,

More and more comments are starting to pop up comparing DOST to RIZE, particularly the RIZE RX, and I think this is going to continue happening as would-be buyers continue to do their comparisons between lots of different e-bike products.

For that reason, I put this compilation of comments together that swayed me over to DOST in the end. I'm hoping it'll help others in their decisions depending on what aspects of this decision are most important to them.

Here goes!

While it appears to be annoying to some in this group that references are being to other bike brands and models, I think it's unavoidable and just a reality of smart comparison shopping.
If I'm not mistaken this group is for those who are either considering purchasing a DOST bike OR already own one and want to share their experiences (ie. details re: trips, distance they're getting from their batteries, speed etc).
Anybody with a brain wants to get the best bang for their buck. I originally thought I was doing that with DOST until I saw the RIZE RX (which was also slated to arrive in late August vs. the DOST coming in October, hence adding to the temptation to go with RIZE).

I have since changed my tune completely. I cancelled the RIZE order and re-ordered the DOST (with apologies to the customer service people in both companies for the hassle - Jenny at DOST was wonderful and very understanding as was Diane at RIZE.

Now, to the meat and potatoes...

If one looks at specs alone, then yes, the RIZE RX appears to be the better value. Like DOST, it's a handsome-looking bike with higher wattage and torque (different model of Bafang motor). It's a more generic-looking bike in my opinion. Smart-looking but not nearly as distinctive-looking as a DOST. From a distance, the RX could be many types of e-bikes. From a distance, a DOST only looks like a DOST (which I like). Remember the days when you instantly knew the car make and model by looking at a car from a distance? I find now that cars have become so generic-looking that only a few stand out enough to know what they are (for those of you into cars). The same can be said for e-bikes. I see tons of them that could be any brand. The other day I was sitting in a restaurant having breaking with my mom and a couple went by on DOST bikes. They were pretty far away from where we were sitting but I instantly knew that they were DOST bikes. She was in front on a glacier white Drop and he was behind her on a space grey Kope. I like that these bikes are unique and that they stand out from the crowd. 🙂

After I read the posts from Andy Zenczak (group member), Sam Atakhanov (Company Founder), and Gordon Lai (also from DOST), I realized that I wasn't looking at the comparison in a truly holistic manner. This is not apples to apples, by any means.
Different things are important to different people but the aspects included in the comments below were of great importance to me in making my final decision.

I also really appreciated how Sam handled my argument for RIZE and the fact that at no point was he defensive at all or negative towards RIZE or any other bike companies. He comes from another company himself and understands the value and necessity of healthy competition. He made a good case for why DOST bikes stand out as did Andy and Gordon. Sam also chimed in on a Saturday night which I thought was impressive and speaks to the degree to which he lives and breathes his company. He also made a point of positively acknowledging my comments, Andy's comments and others who posted, thanking us for our trust in the product and the company. That means a lot to me.

All of this and the fact that I think the DOST bikes are the most handsome of the lot!

Hope this helps those of you who are comparing the two models. I think the RIZE RX is probably a very good bike but I think the extra cost of the DOST is worth it.

The person's name eludes me now (please chime in if/when you see this), but there's a bike shop owner in this group who said that when customers come in with issues on their RIZE bikes, parts availability is often a problem. My bike is my daily work commuter so if I'm out of commission for a week or longer, it's not great. DOST apparently doesn't have this problem and regularly has stock which can be shipped out in a day. That's a big consideration.

I think those of us who are or have decided to be DOST bike owners like the idea of being part of a boutique start-up company. There's a personal feel to it. It's a more intimate feeling, especially when the founder personally chimes in and provides updates. There's a degree of personal accountability with a boutique business that is lost when a company is too large (ie. think Mom & Pop restaurant versus a chain restaurant - very different animals).
Last but not least, I've not read a single review where anyone regrets their buying decision. On the contrary, everyone raves about how much they love their DOST bikes and a common refrain is "it's worth the wait". That says a lot, especially when you consider that many have waited six or seven months! If you're going to have a bike for years and years, you want to ensure that it's well-built enough to stand the test of time, and if you're going to have a bike for years and years, what's a few months of waiting time, really?
Even if I've made the wrong decision in the end (which I'm sure I haven't), I know I'm getting a great bike!
🙂
Andy Zenczak - Group member

My takeaways from this:

1. The waiting game sucks, but these are the times we’re living in. Everyone is affected one way or another.
2. In a world of ever-changing options and availability, whatever is going to make you get out and enjoy it and ride is the best bike for you.
3. The Rize RX and RX pro seem like great options for more off-road use (specifically for taller people or someone looking for raw power over everything else.)
4. Dost seems to hit a sweet spot of overall design- including the gearing and quality of components.
5. When the owner (Sam) chimes in on a FB group - on a weekend no less - to both provide insight on an electrical fix to a customer in need and to eloquently (and humbly) represent his product in a public forum (without resorting to disparaging comments or negative commentary), it is worth taking notice.
Finally, when I look at Dost’s presence online, it is clear that their interest in creating a sustainable business model that considers the Earth and its resources is just as important as creating a bond with its customers. I said it to Jenny when I ordered my Drop- as soon as I saw the video about Dost’s vision of sustainability, my decision was made. No other company has shown me the level of ingenuity, commitment and integrity that Dost has shown to their customers, their business model, and the planet. No contest.

Sam Atakhanov - Company Founder
Hi Derek, healthy competition is a good thing. I ride mountain bikes and always been stuck between Norco and Santa Cruz mtb geometries. I love both companies. What you might want to consider is - design and engineering in Canada costs, high quality parts that you don’t see on the bike (sealed bearing, Stainless steel parts, CE approved electrical connectors, robust wiring harness and most importantly on any ebike - Quality battery cells. I’ve been designing eBikes for 10+ years since my time at Surface 604 bikes and I can tell you that visually we can keep the bike the same and get it for $800 cheaper by not using highest quality components. You are welcome to visit out manufacturing page to learn more: https://dostbikes.com/manufacturing

Gordon Lai - DOST employee and group admin

Admin
I appreciate the nicely laid out comparison Romy. We’ve done a lot of research on both motors, in fact, we had built a sample with both the M600 Motor and M620(G510). The results were not promising.

When the comparison is only made on how much watts a motor can output, as a consumer myself I think: “wow that must mean more power!” but it’s not always the case and will be dependent on how the bikes are geared and equipped. There are also the things that you can’t see, such as how reliable a system is. There is a reason why we did not go for the M620 motor and have stuck with the workhorse of the BBS02.
All in all, I think it is always important to get feedback from real riders that have experience with the bike because how a bike handles, and it’s comfort is truly important. Hope you the best of journeys in your eBike hunt!
PS. Just to keep all in one place, I appreciated Sam's response after I posted my thoughts:

Sam Atakhanov
Thank you so much for your kind words, Derek. We really appreciate you taking the time out to share your experience with us — and we agree, a healthy competition is a GOOD thing! It sure keeps us on our toes! We count ourselves lucky for customers like you. We look forward to working with you again in the future!

Fair comparison? Comparing that Dost to a Rize RX, which has a bigger battery (15ah/52v), and way bigger motor w/torque sensing, is not a fair comparison at all. A much closer match for the Dost might be the Rize MD which uses the same motor the Dost uses (BBS02), has a bigger battery (15ah vs. 14ah), and is equipped with very similar components. What I see, is not just the bigger battery on a nearly identically equipped bike, I see the Rize MD is 800 dollars cheaper. You mentioned bang for the buck, if that's REALLY what you are basing your decision on, I think that call may need to be reviewed a bit? The 800 dollar difference, for what you consider to be a better looking bike, is pretty tough to justify from where I'm sitting. To each their own I guess.....

Last edited:
Fair comparison? Comparing that Dost to a Rize RX, which has a bigger battery (15ah/52v), and way bigger motor w/torque sensing, is not a fair comparison at all. A much closer match for the Dost might be the Rize MD which uses the same motor the Dost uses (BBS02), has a bigger battery (15ah vs. 14ah), and is equipped with very similar components. What I see, is not just the bigger battery on a nearly identically equipped bike, I see the Rize MD is 800 dollars cheaper. You mentioned bang for the buck, if that's REALLY what you are basing your decision on, I think that call may need to be reviewed a bit? The 800 dollar difference, for what you consider to be a better looking bike, is pretty tough to justify from where I'm sitting. To each their own I guess.....
And the second battery from Rize is only $599 at time of purchase, while it's $899 from DOST.

Back