Dost Kope versus Rize MD

PhiCor

Region
USA
I have been looking at various ebikes with a 750 watt md drive motor. I'm looking at the Rise MD and the Dost Kope. They both have a Bafang BBSO2 motor. I assume the Rize is shipped by their California distribution center, you pay sales tax of $162 in TX = $2,761. The Dost $2,999, no taxes (locked order that I can still cancel). The difference in the technical specs are as follows: Rize 7 speed Acera 11-32, Dost 9 speed Scram X5 11-34. Rize 48V--15Ah battery, Dost 48V-14Ah. Rize has 5 levels of pedal assist black & white LCD Screen. Dost 9 levels and a colored LCD Screen. They both use a Cadence System. Rize uses 12 magnets and Dost 24. The rest of the specs are pretty similar. Rize is manufactured in China and Dost in Taiwan. Shipping is free on both ebikes. Rize has a 1 year warranty and Dost 2 years. Looked at Rize RX, minimum seat height is to high 36 inches because it comes with a suspension seat, which I would have to change. Also I don't need that much power. It cost with tax $3,398. Noise level BBS02 57 to 62 dB. Noise level ULTRA M620 80 to 85dB. Any comments or recommendations on the 2 models?

Note they are probably both using the same cadence system because im pretty sure its built into that motor? maybe just an info error, i would not be surprised lol. Rize say they use a BBS02 but have a BBSHD(M615) pictured, these companies need to get their crap together.

I called Rize and they told me they use a 12 magnet cadence system. I'm going to call again to confirm same.

Rize responded to my email and advised their bikes BBS02 Mid Drive motor uses 16 Magnets for the cadence sensor. The Controller is programmed at 25amps. I spoke to Steven at Dost and he indicated their BBSO2 motor uses 24 magnets for the cadence sensor. Rize is using a earlier model of the Bafang motor.

Regarding early vs. late model motors. You are aware earlier model Bafang motors use a UART based buss, and the newer stuff is all CANbus, right? That the UART based bus motors have the potential to be custom programmed by the end user and the CANbus motor have been locked down/are NOT able to be changed? Further, the controller programming as supplied by Bafang, is EASY to improve on, and the subject regarding how that can be done contains a lot of data.

My point is, if I were in the market for a new Bafang mid drive, an older model UART BASED controller would be a HUGE selling point/reason to purchase as compared to a CANbus.

So maybe ask each which they are providing with their new bikes? Uart, or CANbus? If you can snag a UART based motor on a new bike, THAT would be a good deal.....

The difference in noise levels comparing the Ultra motor to the rest of the BBSxx series, is due to the metal gear used in the Ultra, vs. a nylon gear in the BBSxx series. This was done because of the huge potential for the Ultra to make power. It's thought they NEED that metal gear to hold some of the exotic capabilities the motor can be pushed to. It's that strength that comes with the extra noise at no extra charge, and it's not that bad. I'd describe it as a low growl you'll notice most often when riding on a quiet trail. I'd rather not have it, but consider it a cheap price to pay for the power I have on tap....

And last, how many magnets on the cadence sensor isn't relevant when the controller is adjustable (UART based). It's a deep dive, but if/when you get into the UART based controller adjustments/parameters, I'm pretty sure you'll agree. No appreciable difference. Nothing to base a purchasing decision on one way or another....

Thank you for providing a detailed explanation. I will check with both manufactures regarding if they have UART or CANbus.

Regarding early vs. late model motors. You are aware earlier model Bafang motors use a UART based buss, and the newer stuff is all CANbus, right? That the UART based bus motors have the potential to be custom programmed by the end user and the CANbus motor have been locked down/are NOT able to be changed? Further, the controller programming as supplied by Bafang, is EASY to improve on, and the subject regarding how that can be done contains a lot of data.

My point is, if I were in the market for a new Bafang mid drive, an older model UART BASED controller would be a HUGE selling point/reason to purchase as compared to a CANbus.

So maybe ask each which they are providing with their new bikes? Uart, or CANbus? If you can snag a UART based motor on a new bike, THAT would be a good deal.....

The difference in noise levels comparing the Ultra motor to the rest of the BBSxx series, is due to the metal gear used in the Ultra, vs. a nylon gear in the BBSxx series. This was done because of the huge potential for the Ultra to make power. It's thought they NEED that metal gear to hold some of the exotic capabilities the motor can be pushed to. It's that strength that comes with the extra noise at no extra charge, and it's not that bad. I'd describe it as a low growl you'll notice most often when riding on a quiet trail. I'd rather not have it, but consider it a cheap price to pay for the power I have on tap....

And last, how many magnets on the cadence sensor isn't relevant when the controller is adjustable (UART based). It's a deep dive, but if/when you get into the UART based controller adjustments/parameters, I'm pretty sure you'll agree. No appreciable difference. Nothing to base a purchasing decision on one way or another....
Per the response from Rize, the Rize MD uses a Bafang 48V G340 Mid-drive motor. The display uses a UART plug.

Bafang 48V G340 = BBS02

If they're saying it's UART, that would make it a pretty decent motor that's made a lot of friends. Tunable just like the Ultra (same process/software) without the torque sensing. I believe there's also the ability to upgrade the bike to the BBSHD, which would provide quite a power boost if you ever felt the need. Bonus is that the BBSxx motors use a nylon gear so they run pretty much silently. No growling like the Ultra...

Thinking (privately) 500w rating is pretty conservative, maybe to keep it legal.....

Dost confirmed their display is a Bafang DPC18.UART. So both Rize and Dost are UART. With sales tax the Rize cost $2,761 and Dost $2,999. The Rize is $238 cheaper. Main difference is Rize has 5 levels of pedal assist black & white LCD Screen, Dost 9 levels and a colored LCD Screen. Rize 7 speed Shamino Acera 11-32T and Dost SRAM X-5 11-34T. Rize a 1 year warranty and Dost 2 years. Rize battery 48V 15amp, Dost 48V amp 14amp. Frame Rize 18.5, Dost 19. Currently I'm not interested in buying a second battery but Rize is $499 and Dost $699.

I have the Rize MD, does this mean it's programmable?
Positive ID, no if's, and's, but's or maybes. Look at the connector on the wire coming from the display, right where it plugs in to the main harness. If it's round, it's programmable. If it's a 5 sided thing, often described to be in the shape of a Monopoly house, it's CANbus, not programmable.

Back