Rize RX vs Dost Kope?

Fair comparison? Comparing that Dost to a Rize RX, which has a bigger battery (15ah/52v), and way bigger motor w/torque sensing, is not a fair comparison at all. A much closer match for the Dost might be the Rize MD which uses the same motor the Dost uses (BBS02), has a bigger battery (15ah vs. 14ah), and is equipped with very similar components. What I see, is not just the bigger battery on a nearly identically equipped bike, I see the Rize MD is 800 dollars cheaper. You mentioned bang for the buck, if that's REALLY what you are basing your decision on, I think that call may need to be reviewed a bit? The 800 dollar difference, for what you consider to be a better looking bike, is pretty tough to justify from where I'm sitting. To each their own I guess.....
Hi all,
The more I learn the more questions I have. The good news is clearly we have a lot of expertise here on this site to provide valuable information and feedback. Note that I am brand new to electric bikes and not truly a cyclist either. Nor mechanic—yes I have a lot to learn.
I’m at a stage where I am also considering either the Dost or Rize RX. I appreciate the fact that these are not apples to apples but this is all part of my comparison process right now. At one point I was pretty set on a mid-drive motor vs hub. But learning that there are pros and cons to each I felt that the hub definitely had some benefits that resonated with me such as having an ability to get home should I get stuck with a broken chain or motor. I also learned that the mid-drive motor combined with cadence sensor was not optimal (Which is what Dost is offering.) Please weigh in on this but it seems to me that the cadence sensor paired with the mid-drive motor takes away from one of the benefits to the mid drive motor being a more natural pedaling feel? I assume I am putting this in a very elementary way so again looking for feedback here.
On a different note I am looking for a tire width that will be the right balance for my needs and the Rize RX with 4” tires seems like a great choice if I want to ride the beach here. But I assume there will be a trade off when I ride the bike path for 10 to 20 miles on fat tires vs. a reasonable 2.4” width like the Dost. So, I am interested in any feedback on how much a trade off it is to ride fat tires around town for errands a couple miles here or there or take a 20 mile round trip via the paved bike path. The things I’m wondering about specifically are comfort and how fat tires affect battery especially for hills and longer distances.
thanks,

RX

Thanks, I actually did not think about this. I am a handy person but busy. I thought it would be easier to just take it somewhere and leave it but I am reconsidering that now. I actually enjoy "getting my hands dirty" and doing things myself. To be honest, I am mostly concerned with anything that needs to be "torqued" to a certain amount. I have always had bad experiences with torque wrenches not functioning properly and snapping bolts. I am sure I will be fine but it dont really want to buy an expensive torque wrench.

Since you follow it so closely, what are some of the issues you see come up? Are they easily fixed or are they critical issues? Is Customer Service helpful with the issues?

This is what I was looking for. I figured it was better all around but was waiting for someone to say so. I am not concerned about the noise.
I was torn between the two and in the end I bought the DOST Kope and I love it! The motor is super powerful and super quiet! The only time I hear it if it I have it on max power assist going up a really steep hill - otherwise, nothing. Both the DOST and the RIZE bikes are beautiful. I think any buyer would be happy with either. I can't speak to the customer service at RIZE but the customer service at DOST is phenomenal. I've even chatted by email with the company owner who has helped me with questions. When does that ever happen? Amazing. He's a great guy and the bikes are fantastic. Rock solid, super fun and the BBS02 motor is workhorse. It can take a lot. Tests of the Ultra were not as promising (so I'm told). Both companies make some very good-looking bikes but for me the DOST Kope is as handsome as a bike gets and they now have the CVT version for those who might want that. It's my understanding too that DOST bikes are higher quality than RIZE in their overall construction.

Back